What could be improved in the audio world?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seriously can't get my head around how you think worthwhile melodies were being produced up to 1990(or whatever), and then "it finished it's course".?
There have been many heydays when it comes to music, and it's fruition.
Sorry, but what you're getting at is not a fact, it's an opinion. Not to mention personal taste.
Yes you can:)

You know, I find it very curious that here I'm debating this issue with my peers(I know others are too)but back in the 70's there was consensus everywhere that it in fact will be ending. Everyone knew it. What we were wondering was what would happen because of it. Even mainstream artists were declaring it then. Weird.
Seriously. I can't.:thumbsup:

Actually I will be so bold as to declare it was during that time frame and throughout the 80's that music enjoyed it's heyday and developmental fruition.
Would that be the 1780s or the 1880s?

Bach, Handel, Mozart, Vivaldi and Beethoven came up with some good tunes, but I'm partial to some later melodies from guys like Saint-Saens, Debussy, Tchaikovsky, Brahms, and Albeniz. :)

You know, I find it very curious that here I'm debating this issue with my peers(I know others are too)but back in the 70's there was consensus everywhere that it in fact will be ending. Everyone knew it. What we were wondering was what would happen because of it. Even mainstream artists were declaring it then. Weird.

I don't remember that, but I do remember my grandparents generation complaining that rock and roll was the musical apocalypse and nothing good was created after 1952.

I don't remember that, but I do remember my grandparents generation complaining that rock and roll was the musical apocalypse and nothing good was created after 1952.
Yes, and that's where the anti-climax sentiment applies. They were clearly wrong. And why? Because their prim and proper establishment was being threatened by something they themselves recognized but were afraid to acknowledge,(all the appealing, worthwhile melodies had yet to appear) whose opposite is now taking place! It's over folks, face it!

That sentiment btw was fueled and then fanned by the new mainstream media that everyone relied on and trusted. Lots of other cultural changes taking place then too which the music defined

Last edited:
Yes, and that's where the anti-climax sentiment applies. They were clearly wrong. And why? Because their prim and proper establishment was being threatened by something they themselves recognized but were afraid to acknowledge,(all the appealing, worthwhile melodies had yet to appear) whose opposite is now taking place! It's over folks, face it!
"Everything that can be invented has been invented."
-- Charles H. Duell, US Patent Office Commissioner, 1899

The famous quote is apocryphal; apparently it was actually a bit of humour from Punch magazine in 1899.

Your assertion sounds like the musical equivalent. A simple analysis -- e.g., like that at https://plus.maths.org/content/how-many-melodies-are-there -- shows that a ten note sequence can provide about 75 billion melodies.

I don't think we've hit all of them yet. Even assuming restricted rules of harmony -- some melodies might not sound good to popular preference, for example -- we're still looking at billions of just ten-note sequences. The number of possibilities increases dramatically with each added note.

Above, you appear to suggest that "all the appealing, worthwhile melodies had yet to appear" before about 1965 or so, and in another post, you suggest that we ran out of worthwhile melodies by 1990. Am I summarising your view accurately?

If so, can you point to any sources to back up your assertion?

I have to say, I haven't seen anything quite like it before.

All I'm getting here, and I really am trying to understand, is hate for new things.

While I agree with math being able to be used to create melodies people like, I simply cannot understand how someone can say: "end point of good music here".

There is so much great music being created its not even funny.

If it can invoke emotions, its good. If it uses sound elements in new form, its good.

If one stays with certain music, I can accept that.

I question the motive. What happened in your life that had you decided: "Everything new is shit"

Of course I don't expect an answer, but maybe a thought?

Here is some really new music. They way this song is built up, with the sonic elements, the voice effects. It starts out clean, then distorts, then clean again.

Maybe not your style, but definitely art.

Lamb - we fall in love.

You better have some response below 50Hz though :) it goes low. Distorted guitars? Pff. Lets use ss crossover distortion as an effect!

Last edited:
I'm both old AND use a cane. I was not the least bit offended. I thought it was great.
No cane yet here, but am getting up there in my 60's and crotchety as all hell! Still don't care to be stereotyped, even if in my case its accurate.

That sentiment btw was fueled and then fanned by the new mainstream media that everyone relied on and trusted. Lots of other cultural changes taking place then too which the music defined
This just looks like incoherent trolling.

We said that about hip hop. Only junk after 1999.

Its just not true, I only got old. The music got different. Someone older than me will say: "after the 80s, hip hop died"...

If one hate the music kids play, one should realize what that means.

They are doing what you did in the 70s. When your parents told you to turn down that crap.

Every generations music dies. Then all that is left is samplers. Fawk that!

I will never love only the music that comes on those samplers / collections.

No one should.

The famous quote is apocryphal; apparently it was actually a bit of humour from Punch magazine in 1899.

Your assertion sounds like the musical equivalent. A simple analysis -- e.g., like that at https://plus.maths.org/content/how-many-melodies-are-there -- shows that a ten note sequence can provide about 75 billion melodies.

I don't think we've hit all of them yet. Even assuming restricted rules of harmony -- some melodies might not sound good to popular preference, for example -- we're still looking at billions of just ten-note sequences. The number of possibilities increases dramatically with each added note.

Above, you appear to suggest that "all the appealing, worthwhile melodies had yet to appear" before about 1965 or so, and in another post, you suggest that we ran out of worthwhile melodies by 1990. Am I summarising your view accurately?

Excellent!

Btw, all but a tiny % of that 75B is useless.

This just looks like incoherent trolling.

Well, its the only post that makes sense, sort of. It does give light to the idea.

There are points where pure art flips to commerce. But I'd say in the 60s it was already dead though.

Sort of.

Maybe not?

All I'm getting here, and I really am trying to understand, is hate for new things.

While I agree with math being able to be used to create melodies people like, I simply cannot understand how someone can say: "end point of good music here".

There is so much great music being created its not even funny.

If it can invoke emotions, its good. If it uses sound elements in new form, its good.

If one stays with certain music, I can accept that.

I question the motive. What happened in your life that had you decided: "Everything new is shit"

Of course I don't expect an answer, but maybe a thought?

Here is some really new music. They way this song is built up, with the sonic elements, the voice effects. It starts out clean, then distorts, then clean again.

Maybe not your style, but definitely art.

Lamb - we fall in love.

You better have some response below 50Hz though :) it goes low. Distorted guitars? Pff. Lets use ss crossover distortion as an effect!
This is your rebuttal? Don't be embarrassed, any other example by anyone else will have similar merit. Exactly what I base my position on.

Thank you

Hehe. 75 billion melodies.

But we turn around and use only 4 chords. Is this art? Probably not. But it works. ;)

This is your rebuttal? Don't be embarrassed, any other example by anyone else will have similar merit. Exactly what I base my position on.

Thank you

You are welcome. I hope you can find new music that amazes you.

Well, if have to Iisten to dsotm again I'll probably die of boredom. I can play the darn thing in my head, including most tape drop off locations.

Sigh. What a world it would be without new music.

Death by boredom.

Hehe. 75 billion melodies.

But we turn around and use only 4 chords. Is this art? Probably not. But it works. ;)

4 what? The chords are for harmony. The melodies are different
You are welcome. I hope you can find new music that amazes you.

Well, if have to Iisten to dsotm again I'll probably die of boredom. I can play the darn thing in my head, including most tape drop off locations.

Sigh. What a world it would be without new music.

Death by boredom.
Hey, I can't remember the last time I listened to that. I'm just discovering Link Wray, Albert King, T-Bone Walker, and Jaco Pastorius. Lots of past top 40's artists who did a lot more than you might be aware of also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom