MX119 thrills and spills

usblues101

Getting a MX119 on Thurs.Looks like a 9.......what if anything I should do when it arrives?Theres a fine Mac tech here in Mpls.Just plug and play to start or....??TIA,Bob

Download the manual and study the parts about Setup. It's somewhat complex, especially since you need to use a TV with a Composite video input (the Component Video or S-Video won't display Setup). There are also some undocumented features of the Setup. Nothing too exciting, but take a look on this forum. I posted a few of them.

Remember that the video from your DVD/BluRay player should be connected directly to your TV since the MX-119 has no HDMI inputs. Then, use your TV's input switching to select the DVD/Blu-Ray player. Use the 7.1 RCA outputs from your DVD/BluRay player to connect the DVD/Blu-Ray audio to the 7.1 inputs on the MX-119.

Make sure that during the winter you thoroughly de-static-ize your body before getting anywhere near the MX-119. Static electricity killed my MX-119 and it took me many hours to repair the blown IC circuits on a very inaccessible board inside the MX-119..

I have read so many comments about static issue of the MX119. Does McIntosh acknowledge this issue or it is just random cases?

I sure thank you for your tips.Much appreciated.Here in Mpls static electricity is starting to build up to a crescendo of unimagineable proportions........do you still have your 119?Cheers,Bob

I sure thank you for your tips.Much appreciated.Here in Mpls static electricity is starting to build up to a crescendo of unimagineable proportions........do you still have your 119?Cheers,Bob
No. I sold it and replaced it with an MX-121. I thought that the phono section of the MX-119 was superior to the MX-121, but the fact that I now have an MP-100 (McIntosh's new phono preamp) makes that a moot point. The MX-121 substitutes an Internet Radio tuner for the TM-1 AM/FM radio module, but I found an MR-88 at a bargain price, so that's a moot point as well. Whatever it is, the MX-119 is a treasure and a fabulous sounding preamp.... don't be so quick to "upgrade" like I did.

What amplifier do you have it paired with? A 7106?

Back
Top Bottom