$100 ESS AMT3 rock monitors

As I recall mine were,... i'd have to look at my crossover but if that's the way they were hooked up, I would say yes.
If you wanted to be sure, you could measure all the values of the components and draw out the schematic, and I'm sure there are a number of people that could help you here to let you know what the impedance should be.
From my knowledge in the past these all had four ohm woofers, the 4 coil cross overs.
If you look at the Zobel, each pack of four resistors, that gives you another four ohms.
I would be more than happy to contribute to the documenting of this crossover by sending my cheapy LC meter to measure those inductors if Jer is willing to disconnect them from the rest of the system, measure and reconnect.
Schematics seem to be guarded industry secrets, or, as I suspect in the case of ESS, victims of sloppy record keeping. It would be a worthwhile cause to get them out there in places like digital docs, which is the only place that I know of for the schematic for the project I did last year. It would be a more pragmatic source of information than the chin-stroking musings of sage pretty-boys like yourself

I've got hurricane nuts on the way.

Might I take this opportunity to suggest a solution from our race car/airplane building brothers, as opposed to gauging away any more of that flattened presto log ESS refers to as a "baffle" ?

IMG_1354.JPGIMG_0305.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Jer
I would be more than happy to contribute to the documenting of this crossover by sending my cheapy LC meter to measure those inductors if Jer is willing to disconnect them from the rest of the system, measure and reconnect.
Schematics seem to be guarded industry secrets, or, as I suspect in the case of ESS, victims of sloppy record keeping. It would be a worthwhile cause to get them out there in places like digital docs, which is the only place that I know of for the schematic for the project I did last year. It would be a more pragmatic source of information than the chin-stroking musings of sage pretty-boys like yourself
Pretty boys?!?
I'm not sure what that supposed to mean? Me?
I don't think so...

If I get a chance I can measure my crossovers
I've taken them partially apart and it makes no sense for him to do it.
The fact remains the same 3 out of 3 4 coils had 4 ohm woofers.
I'll take those odds
The other stuff is great for documentation but that's not gonna help them rebuild his speaker
Like I said when I get a chance I'll measure them, and try to draw out a schematic.
Let him rebuild his find and enjoy them, without making things any more complicated than they need to be.

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with ESS.
I've got to say that the guy on the phone was super cool. Their customer service seems top notch.

I explained what my crossovers consist of visually.

He told me that these left the factory with 4ohm drivers wired in parallel.

Those fasteners look like they'd solve the problem.

I went ahead and treated the openings with epoxy and filled the screw holes.

I got that stray coil back on the board.
I though it was strange that it was pinned in the corner with nails. Probably by the radio shack shopper.

I appreciate all the sharing of knowledge here.

Awesome!!
Well I'm glad we got that straightened out!
So what woofers did you decide to go with?

Awesome!!
Well I'm glad we got that straightened out!
So what woofers did you decide to go with?

I'm going with your recommendation.
Eminence Legend BP102-4 10" Bass Guitar Driver 200W 4 Ohm
I had 1040sf 8ohms ordered. I talked with the seller (Speakeraddict) and we're getting my order straightened out.
They're about $60 more for the 4 of them.

Thanks for catching the ohm discrepancy.

Sure... I can't imagine they'll sounded very good with 8 ohm units.
Good choice!!
No problem glad to help... once you get those dialed in they should sound awesome.
Well when he was selling those speakers at Orange county speakers they were 79 ea.
The nice thing about the BP 102-4's
You don't have to deal with your surrounds going away...
And if one gets damaged, they are easily replaceable, or reconed.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if ESS has sloppy record keeping or not. They were obviously aware of this crossover. Frankly just decipher a actual 4 coil crossover. That's your documentation in the flesh. However, I fail to see the real importance. I think if your building from scratch, just use the 3 coil design. Less complicated, uses more common 8 ohm woofers. If you just rebuilding it, just replace the caps/resistors and check connections, and be happy. I think there are levels each person may want to go to.
I'm glad I experimented over the years. However, if it was 2017, and I saw my threads, I would do a quick rebuild with good parts, deal with the stock baffles as need be, Hurricane nuts/etc. Drop in the 4 or 8 ohm version of the BP102, if I didn't have the stock woofers, or wanted something more and be happy. No real need for the braces....with the BP's. It does improve the bass, but is a major pain. Frankly most people would hardly notice. That way your spending more time listening, instead of debating merits of ESS, Hurricane nuts or whatever. It's been done before. Why repeat? I finally got things were I personally wanted them, but I'm thinking I would have been more or less just as happy with a stock set, with BP 102's. Fun times...but being off the computer is better.
I'm glad I was able to give some assistance to the OP :), and navigate through the theory, garbage talk and deal with reality. Talk about chin stroking?!?? Give me s break!!!!
3 outta 3, well that's good enough for most people but obviously not some.
The new wave of alternate reality thinking. Throw a wrench in, and see what sticks!!
Enjoy your awesome speakers!!! Fantastic buy!!

Last edited:
If you have the amps, you might think about bi-amping with a MiniDSP.
Sure...The nice thing is if you have a decent amount of power from a single good stereo amp, you can really make them sing. And without the adding complication and cost of amps and processors.
The Dayton ST255-8 were my choice for quite a while. Still think they are a good bet. The bummer is the bracing, and ports, and all the extra work. I was holding on to mine, for a good comparison, when I finish my second set. But I had a guy in Twain offer me original price for all eight, and cover the shipping. Actually all I had to do was bring them down to the local Fed Ex, and he picked up the tab. His US based friend sent me a Bank check I waited about a month to make sure it didn't bounce, and shipped. At least they aren't sitting in boxes. I had the opportunity to listen to a friends now stock set, and with the right placing, they really sound good. All he did was add a second port same size as the O.E. Fully stuffed. I think he has the right idea to maxiumize the sound of the O.E. woofers.
They wont rock like the BP's, but I could certainly live with them in his listening setup.
Hehe, maybe the next set I come across!!

My dad had 4 amt1s among other speakers when I was a little kid.

That's how I was introduced to Pink Floyd's dark side of the moon.

I've still got one of those AMTs.

I really like the AMT1s!

I've had the same set twice now. And they sounded just as good the second time around, if not better. I have better gear now than I had the first time around. They have moved on now to a good home.

I'm not sure if ESS has sloppy record keeping or not. They were obviously aware of this crossover. Frankly just decipher a actual 4 coil crossover. That's your documentation in the flesh. However, I fail to see the real importance. I think if your building from scratch, just use the 3 coil design. Less complicated, uses more common 8 ohm woofers. If you just rebuilding it, just replace the caps/resistors and check connections, and be happy. I think there are levels each person may want to go to.
I'm glad I experimented over the years. However, if it was 2017, and I saw my threads, I would do a quick rebuild with good parts, deal with the stock baffles as need be, Hurricane nuts/etc. Drop in the 4 or 8 ohm version of the BP102, if I didn't have the stock woofers, or wanted something more and be happy. No real need for the braces....with the BP's. It does improve the bass, but is a major pain. Frankly most people would hardly notice. That way your spending more time listening, instead of debating merits of ESS, Hurricane nuts or whatever. It's been done before. Why repeat? I finally got things were I personally wanted them, but I'm thinking I would have been more or less just as happy with a stock set, with BP 102's. Fun times...but being off the computer is better.
I'm glad I was able to give some assistance to the OP :), and navigate through the theory, garbage talk and deal with reality. Talk about chin stroking?!?? Give me s break!!!!
3 outta 3, well that's good enough for most people but obviously not some.
The new wave of alternate reality thinking. Throw a wrench in, and see what sticks!!
Enjoy your awesome speakers!!! Fantastic buy!!

I could understand thinking of carefully documenting an undocumented crossover to insure all ducks are in a row as overcautious overkill, but the jab at my beloved nuts plates is uncalled for. A few more cents and a bit of extra work to install and worth every bit of it.
Viva La Plaque De Noix!

IMG_1349.JPG

Last edited:
Will,
Great idea on the "Nut Plate's"!
No spin-out's on those "babie's"!
If you've flown anywhere on a 747 in the past 20 years, odds are good that you've flown with several nut plates I've riveted or screwed under your butt (if you're sitting above the wheel wells).
I can understand why many manufacturers don't use nut plates in production - they're comparatively labor intensive on an assembly line. I thought ADS came up with a great plan by stapling in a (cheaper) fixed nutplate. But the hobbyist isn't constrained by production costs and quotas. I can only explain the lack of their use in this hobby with the fact that the vast majority of people live in areas NOT economically propped up by a giant aircraft company.

Fortunately, I had enough left over from the AMT3 project to use them on this year's project.

IMG_1352.JPG

You have, or had a great job! What fun! I've been an airplane buff my entire life. Built and flew R/C model airplanes for over 20 years with my dad. Also did a small bit of flying some years back. Loved it, but couldn't afford the classes to get a pilots license.

You have, or had a great job! What fun! I've been an airplane buff my entire life. Built and flew R/C model airplanes for over 20 years with my dad. Also did a small bit of flying some years back. Loved it, but couldn't afford the classes to get a pilots license.
I worked on a very small section of a very large aircraft. It was more of a manufacturing job than an aircraft thing.

I could understand thinking of carefully documenting an undocumented crossover to insure all ducks are in a row as overcautious overkill, but the jab at my beloved nuts plates is uncalled for. A few more cents and a bit of extra work to install and worth every bit of it.
Viva La Plaque De Noix!

View attachment 1003802
I wasn't talking about the plates?!
I think they are awesome, better idea then the Hurricane nuts..
I was more or less talking about my own past threads...

I wasn't talking about the plates?!
I think they are awesome, better idea then the Hurricane nuts..they Hurricanes are serviceable at best, you really need to glue them as well.
I was more or less talking about my own past threads..and rehashing..its my deal..
I have seen those plates at Wipaire, one of the last float manufactors left in the US.
They do general aviation as well, upfits, even Margaritavilles dude plane..heh what a joke.. thinks he's Indiana Jones with that junker. Not Boeing stuff.
My uncle worked for Boeing for years after the war.
Flew B29's.

Back
Top Bottom