What could be improved in the audio world?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent!

Btw, all but a tiny % of that 75B is useless.
Again, can you point to any sources to back up your assertion?

I've never heard this from any musicians I know; indeed, some have explicitly mentioned the almost limitless novelty and variation afforded by melody, harmony, rhythm and timbre in myriad combinations and permutations, and have expressed joy at knowing it means a nearly infinite wellspring of new music.

Again, can you point to any sources to back up your assertion?

I've never heard this from any musicians I know; indeed, some have explicitly mentioned the almost limitless novelty and variation afforded by melody, harmony, rhythm and timbre in myriad combinations and permutations, and have expressed joy at knowing it means a nearly infinite wellspring of new music.
Sure, mine and your defiant ears. Lots of rebuttal without many examples so far. My examples are all of history. Post some of your 'new' music:), your favorite.

Right now I'm listening to Leonard Cohen Live in Dublin. I'm on a mission to compile a 'recorded live' library as I have not very many examples. The Pretenders ISLE of VIEW is another fav right now. Oh, and SRV/Albert King Live In Session, Led Zeppelin The Complete BBC Sessions..very good. Oh, Edith Piaf..'No Regrets'...excellent

Last edited:
Sure, mine and your defiant ears. Lots of rebuttal without many examples so far. My examples are all of history. Post some of your 'new' music:)
Are you treating your ears as an objective standard of "good" music, or are you expressing your personal preferences?

I picked what was playing as I wrote this, then found it on YouTube to link here:

I really like it. I imagine others will really like it too, and some will hate it, but that's "personal preference" for you.

Then this came up. Again, found on YouTube to link here:

Etc.
Right now I'm listening to Leonard Cohen Live in Dublin. I'm on a mission to compile a 'recorded live' library as I have not very many examples. The Pretenders ISLE of VIEW is another fav right now. Oh, and SRV/Albert King Live In Session
Sorry, I'm not a fan of any of these.

So what makes your preferences "good" and other preferences "bad"?

Are you treating your ears as an objective standard of "good" music, or are you expressing your personal preferences?

I picked what was playing as I wrote this, then found it on YouTube to link here:

I really like it. I imagine others will really like it too, and some will hate it, but that's "personal preference" for you.

Then this came up. Again, found on YouTube to link here:

Etc.

Sorry, I'm not a fan of any of these.

So what makes your preferences "good" and other preferences "bad"?
I don't classify any music as good or bad. My inference to broccoli was to point out what is and what isn't. I think I've made that clear. I understand people have 'preferences'.

I don't classify any music as good or bad. My inference to broccoli was to point out what is and what isn't. I think I've made that clear. I understand people have 'preferences'.
You implied that some preferences are like liking rotten broccoli -- i.e., a preference for something that is objectively bad, and that essentially all music made since about 1990 is... Bad?

Have I misunderstood?

You implied that some preferences are like liking rotten broccoli -- i.e., a preference for something that is objectively bad, and that essentially all music made since about 1990 is... Bad?

Have I misunderstood?
No, I'm sure you haven't. You are a master at obfuscation.

Hey there Loopstick, what happened to that post? Headed for the hills, did you? If you're going to support me you could at least show yourself eh:jump:

What do you think could or should be improved in the audio/music world. And more importantly what's your solutions?

User interface design could be improved. Too many "one line of text with no context" displays, tiny, undifferentiated buttons, and features which aren't accessible with the remote and sometimes even a TV connedted via HDMI.

I'd like to see a two or three line display on recievers or requivalent devices, partiuclarly AVRs. You could do navigational breadcrumbs and scrollable menus to give context, rather than a single incomprehensible word for many options.

Music appreciation swings wildly from the extremes. Most music is being enjoyed without even hearing the instruments. I don't think people even care to hear them, they just need something to groove to. On the other end of the spectrum there are the people like many of us, who don't want to do anything but listen when the music is playing. People are taking less of their time to really listen these days. Even the radio stations have moved to talk-radio, and the ones that play music are just repeating the shitty classic rock songs of yesteryear.
So when I become ruler of the universe, people will once again sit down and hear every note and every whisper, and really appreciate what musical talent is. They will turn off the TV, the video games, and their phones, and explore the magic and art of music.
So I guess we need to improve more than anything else.

4 what? The chords are for harmony. The melodies are different

Hey, I can't remember the last time I listened to that. I'm just discovering Link Wray, Albert King, T-Bone Walker, and Jaco Pastorius. Lots of past top 40's artists who did a lot more than you might be aware of also.

I know, I was trying to make a joke :/

Culture is dying,along with "The West",itll have been dead a long while by the time promised gizmos appear.Our problem is that we cant measure the missing dimension.....

So we now understand that some people choose not to like "new" music. Thats great.

Lets stop the TPS reports and get back to talking about the future "What can be improved in the audio world" ?

Since we all like to be divided, we could try to gather questions and ask to people that are respected in the audio world.

Maybe we can create a poll about the people we would like to hear.

The kind of thing they do in an interview, but remain writen since it's a forum. Most media filter what's going out, we could have anwser direct from the source.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom