Tried my best to resist but caved in the end...today's arrivals :-)

Don Bocadill

Obsessed, who me???!!
IMG_2763.JPG IMG_2764.JPG

Noticed these pop up locally on CL last night and picked them up today. Only really wanted the amp but got such a crazy deal on the MCD500 I couldn't refuse. Ordered a Schiit Eitr USB to Spdif so I can use the MCD as my main dac...must admit it's kinda fun to have a CD player in the house again...looking forward to finding out what all the fuss is about concerning the MC452 and the rave reviews it has garnered from members and the media alike...here's looking at you @kevzep :beerchug:

Thanks lads, gotta say first impressions are amazing. As most of you know I've worked my way through a lot of what Mac has to offer and the build quality of both the units is phenomenal. I will be further exploring their sonic qualities tonight with a nice glass of bourbon

Cool! Not many MC452 owners here at AK - kevzep is the only one that comes to mind. I've seen a few at dealers, etc. and I think it's the best looking Mc amplifier since the MC500. Everything is just so from a mechanical ID - proportions, look, feel, heft, meter brightness, etc.

Isn't the MCD500 a fully balanced CDP? If so, given that the MC452 is quad balanced, it would be interesting to hear just how the two sounded together via a pair of XLR cables as the MCD500 has a built in preamplifier. While that would preclude other sources, it would be the most ideal connection between the two - allowing you to take full advantage of both units capabilities. If you like what you hear, then a C500 would be the logical choice for a preamp, providing a means for your analog sources.

Cool! Not many MC452 owners here at AK - kevzep is the only one that comes to mind. I've seen a few at dealers, etc. and I think it's the best looking Mc amplifier since the MC500. Everything is just so from a mechanical ID - proportions, look, feel, heft, meter brightness, etc.

Isn't the MCD500 a fully balanced CDP? If so, given that the MC452 is quad balanced, it would be interesting to hear just how the two sounded together via a pair of XLR cables as the MCD500 has a built in preamplifier. While that would preclude other sources, it would be the most ideal connection between the two - allowing you to take full advantage of both units capabilities. If you like what you hear, then a C500 would be the logical choice for a preamp, providing a means for your analog sources.

Totally agree on the 452...such a beast throwing back to the Mac monsters of lore. And on the subject of the 500 yes I'm looking forward to hooking the two up with a nice set of balanced cables. Using only digital sources I plan on using it as my dac/pre for the time being...

Totally agree on the 452...such a beast throwing back to the Mac monsters of lore. And on the subject of the 500 yes I'm looking forward to hooking the two up with a nice set of balanced cables. Using only digital sources I plan on using it as my dac/pre for the time being...
OK, I just perused the MCD500 OM. Yep, it's quad balanced as well. The give-aways being the mention of a quad balanced DAC and the following specs:

Fixed Output level
2.0Vrms Unbalanced
4.0Vrms Balanced

Variable Output level
0 - 6.0Vrms Unbalanced
0- 12.0Vrms Balanced

Double the output voltage via XLR implies that each half of the signal has independent amplification.

Run, do not walk, to get some XLR cables sir. If you like the way it sounds now . . .

We'll judge just how great these units really are by how long you keep them! If you have them for 6 months or longer, they must be special.

Ran out and bought a copy of radioheads new album....goodness gracious....if this is how good things sound with a basic set of rca's...well blow me!! :beatnik:

Hey mike, you can bet your bottom dollar the 'trio' will be getting plenty of amp time as soon as I get my spdif converter :) reviewing 'kind of blue' currenty...absolutely sublime....this rig reminds s me why I fell in love with mcintosh in the first place and some!!

IMG_2777.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom