I'm really waffling here...

Ken Hicks

I keep telling myself to save $400 and go with the Onkyo A-9010 instead of the Cambridge CXA60. I'm a man of modest means but the Cambridge is very appealing. What say ye?

I'd also be tempted to go with the Cambridge, based on the esoteric factor, and also because of that matching music server thingie it's stacked on that I would also have to buy. That thing is cool.

It does appear the Cambridge doesn't have a phono stage though, at least I'm assuming that little box labeled CP on their website that just so happens to match it is an outboard phono preamp.

I can't help much but if you have a record player I don't think the CXA60 has a phono input. I am a big Onkyo fan but have never heard the 9010. It also depends on your speakers, unless you have some really good ones you may not notice a big improvement, even if the Cambridge was better.

Right now I have Pinnacle AC850 speakers but I want to upgrade to Q Acoustics 3050 speakers. WAAAAY bitd I had an Onkyo M5090 250wpc amp. I went through a Yamaha M2 and B6 before figuring out I like the smoother sound of the Onkyo. I'm also interested in the Cambridge Audio CXC since both the Onkyo and C.A. amps have Wolfson DACs but I could save a little by using the Yamaha CDX-470 I just acquired for free. I'm conflicted.

Btw, I don't do vinyl, CDs only. Not into streaming either.

Go mow lawns (seriously) for 400 bucks. Or something like that. :)

Hard work AND get the one you want. Feels good man!

You know you want it.

How about something in the middle? Marantz PM 5005 $499

http://www.us.marantz.com/us/Produc...tId=HiFiComponents&SubCatId=&ProductId=PM5005

PM5005_front_L.png

I was using PINNACLE P.3's with a Harman AVR.. before one of the speakers finally gave after 10 years ..
So I bought what I hoped to be "better" speakers , Tekton design...
Since buying "better" speakers I have been able to hear each upgrade I've made over the last year...
There is no way , NO WAY , Those Pinnacle P.3's could ever do what these speakers are capable of..
The point being, buy the best speakers you can FIRST then you can hear the upgrade path.

I was surprised at how much more I'm getting from these compared to ($1000 retail) Pinnacle P.3

I'm pretty happy with my 9010. Use it in the dinning room / PC room. Edit, Just saw you're not into vinyl or streaming. That Cambridge is one nice looking device. Still has the built in Dac. Tough decision.

Last edited:
You only live once. If you can buy the one you really want and keep food on the table, do it. A few months from now, or even less, the money will be forgotten and you will have one or the other component, so you may as well get the one that most appeals to you. While I have never heard that particular CA amp, I don't regret the ante for a little CA receiver in my MIL's room. Sounds really nice.

Back
Top Bottom