MA6100 Glass

backinthelou

Hi all, I have an MA6100 that needs new glass. I've checked the standard sources with no luck. I emailed McIntosh and did receive a pretty quick response. Per the service page, I left my name and phone number. The response I got was asking for my name, phone number(both provided) and address in order to help me any further. Well, I decided to call and got voicemail 3 times and finally got a real person the 4th time. The parts woman was rude-like I had just woken her up.
"It's on backorder"
I say, "Ok".
Her: "Ok what?"
Me: "I'd like to be put on a waiting list."
Her: "I have no idea when they will be ready".
Anyway, I guess I'm on a waiting list now?
Is this how you treat customers when you're selling amps that start at several thousands of dollars? You'd think they'd have some pride in their customer service department.

I've never had anything less than an excellent experience with McIntosh support. As a person that lives in the South East, I'm mindful that people in different regions of the US can sometimes be more direct/short in their communications. That doesn't mean that they are in fact rude, but a difference of perspective.

Nope, this chick acted like I was straight up wasting her time. As much as I'd be willing to take the blame for her bad mood, that seems to be the norm these days. Maybe I'll take Mackie's advice and call on a different week, when the stars are aligned and the weather is nice in Binghampton, New York.

Last edited:
Complain about it, I've read a few posts by people saying the same thing. Nothing will happen until someone says something, management probably doesn't even know its happening.

Thanks. By reading other comments, I assumed my situation was an anomaly.

Incidentally, her email correspondence has been pleasant aside from asking for information that I had already provided.

I also recently had a very similar and very unpleasant experience when attempting to order glass faceplate as well. The women in parts was very rude and seemed genuinely annoyed having to even deal with the matter.

I am going to offer some very valuable advice for McIntosh customer service.
Please adapt my LAER PRINCIPLES.
LISTEN - You cannot resolve any issue without genuinely listening to your customers.
ACKNOWLEDGE - People wish to know how much you care before they care how much you know.
EXPLORE - Explore solutions to keep customer loyalty, such as finding a similar piece of equipment that uses the same parts to address issue. Thinking outside the box is good.
RESPOND - Never confuse movement with action, if you promise to reply or call please keep your commitments.

If McIntosh customer service follows these principles then everyone will be on the same page and any and all matters will be addressed accordingly.

From my dealings with McIntosh parts dept, there are only two people, one man and one woman. I'm not making excuses for anyone, but from my experience talking to the woman, the more you have done your research on a needed part, the more receptive she is. It's those times when you don't know exactly what to ask for, then forget it. But, can you imagine answering the phone in her place? All types of people are calling about McIntosh parts from the 1950's all the way to the present, and they expect you to know everything? You will lose your patience very fast...I know in OP's case, it's just the glass.

When is it acceptable to point out to the caller that his 3 previous calls put him at maybe 8th,12th, and 15th in the que of calls to return......

The OP called 4 times and did not give her a chance to call him back.....everyone is special but when is enough enough......

Obviously she should stop answering the phone until she gets all her calls returned, would that be best?

I also recently had a very similar and very unpleasant experience when attempting to order glass faceplate as well. The women in parts was very rude and seemed genuinely annoyed having to even deal with the matter.

I am going to offer some very valuable advice for McIntosh customer service.
Please adapt my LAER PRINCIPLES.
LISTEN - You cannot resolve any issue without genuinely listening to your customers.
ACKNOWLEDGE - People wish to know how much you care before they care how much you know.
EXPLORE - Explore solutions to keep customer loyalty, such as finding a similar piece of equipment that uses the same parts to address issue. Thinking outside the box is good.
RESPOND - Never confuse movement with action, if you promise to reply or call please keep your commitments.

If McIntosh customer service follows these principles then everyone will be on the same page and any and all matters will be addressed accordingly.

Well said....I Agree !!

I am also currently having the most miserable Customer Service experience getting a defective delaminated faceplate glass replaced for my C50 under warranty.
Its been over 2 years now since I was promised a complete new glass faceplate from John, the Customer Service Manager
I do not receive any replies from my emails or return phone calls from him.
As courteous as I am, the woman I spoke with in Customer Service was rude, sarcastic, abrupt, and uncaring to my needs. Chuck was abrupt and sarcastic.
The parts department does not reply to emails or phone calls.
This is not what I expect from a luxury brand.
I've noticed a considerable decline in McIntosh Customer Service in the last few years and I have been a loyal customer for 30 years.
When I was a teen, my dad and I met a few times with Dave Obrien and Jim Carroll at our dealer that was here in NY....Designatrons. Always a excellent experience and issues always resolved.
I've never experienced such contempt for the customer from any company.

It disturbs me when customers make rewards and excuses for poor customer service. When the company realizes this behavior is ok, it lowers the bar for the company and the company becomes complacent.

McIntosh staff really needs to,
Recognize and engage with the customer. Listen to their needs,
Respond to customer needs in a timely manner,
Treat all customers with dignity and respect,
Take ownership of problems and resolve issues,
Build customer loyalty and always strive for Customer Service Excellence,
Put the customer first at every level.
Customers are the reason McIntosh is in business.

There are many audio companies out there. The staff will ultimately make the difference.

Last edited:
Have spoken with Mcintosh parts a few times and always stellar customer service....sorry for those that haven't had that....

What is your selling dealer doing about your c50 glass?

My C50 selling dealer typically is very courteous and friendly when approached. However, without going into arduous detail at this time, I don't have any positive feedback or accolades to give about the support from my C50 dealer. They are very slow to respond and only when engaged. When they do respond, they are not very forthcoming, or proactive. The last time I heard from the Service Manager at McIntosh regarding the glass was December 2016. At that time he told me my C50 glass was cut, awaiting final screening, and awaiting the blue films and buttons to be installed. He said he would ship it out to me when completed. He has not responded to my inquiries since then. I wish they would reach out to me and resolve this. Its sad to say, but I am giving up hope, which is what I'm sure they want, and they are loosing all credibility with me at this point.

Last edited:
My C50 selling dealer typically is very courteous and friendly when approached. However, without going into arduous detail at this time, I don't have any positive feedback or accolades to give about the support from my C50 dealer. They are very slow to respond and only when engaged. When they do respond, they are not very forthcoming, or proactive. The last time I heard from the Service Manager at McIntosh regarding the glass was December 2016. At that time he told me my C50 glass was cut, awaiting final screening, and awaiting the blue films and buttons to be installed. He said he would ship it out to me when completed. He has not responded to my inquiries since then. I wish they would reach out to me and resolve this. Its sad to say, but I am giving up hope, which is what I'm sure they want, and they are loosing all credibility with me at this point.
I'd be willing to bet that a phone call to McIntosh to the Sales Department would be beneficial ...

Back
Top Bottom