THIS IS NOT YOUR FATHERS TD-124

I realize that there are a lot of skeptics out there but running dual belts on a turntable is nothing new. On a 124 yes. A lot of TT company's are running dual belts in fact I have seen some with 3 belts. Must be a reason why? Some may think I'm destroying a 124 but this one was already headed for the scrap bin so I'm looking at it as giving it another chance to live. Plus it gives me a test bed to play with without messing with my original one.

I forgot to mention and this should be a biggie is that the step pulley is now isolated from the chassis and mounted to the plinth. Should be even less bad sound for the cart to pick up off the platter. Now if I can only isolate the idler. ;)

I forgot to mention and this should be a biggie is that the step pulley is now isolated from the chassis and mounted to the plinth. Should be even less bad sound for the cart to pick up off the platter. Now if I can only isolate the idler. ;)
From the platter? :rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::rflmao:;)

I wonder on putting all that lateral force on the motor bearing. I have never worked on a 124 and don't know what I am talking about, but wouldn't that enter into the equation?

I wonder on putting all that lateral force on the motor bearing. I have never worked on a 124 and don't know what I am talking about, but wouldn't that enter into the equation?
Good question. I thought of that so what I did was connect both pulleys together but only one pulley is connected to the shaft just like when stock. Plus the belts aren't very tight on the 124s so I don't see a problem with that but I will still have to keep my eye on it.

only one pulley is connected to the shaft just like when stock
...and the other is connected to the first? I don't think it relieves the motor shaft of any extra stress - but having restored a few E50 motors, I doubt it makes a difference. The motor sintered bronze bearing bushing are easily replaceable - so even if it wears down excessively, it's still replaceable. I got to admit it looks pretty cool. I hope it works as expected. Following with anticipation.

...and the other is connected to the first? I don't think it relieves the motor shaft of any extra stress - but having restored a few E50 motors, I doubt it makes a difference. The motor sintered bronze bearing bushing are easily replaceable - so even if it wears down excessively, it's still replaceable. I got to admit it looks pretty cool. I hope it works as expected. Following with anticipation.
Correct both pulleys are solidly connected together but only one of the pulleys are connected to the shaft. And yes the motor is easy to work on and when you see when I'm finished I will have access to the main bearing, the motor and the whole stepped pulley assembly without haven to pull the chassis.

This will show you how I think. Instead of 2 tonearms I was thinking of 2 identical carts one front of the other on a custom made headshell. One plays the left channel the other plays the right. :yikes:

This will show you how I think. Instead of 2 tonearms I was thinking of 2 identical carts one front of the other on a custom made headshell. One plays the left channel the other plays the right. :yikes:
sounds right

Is this the table you want to keep bare aluminum?

Project for today: Radius corners on plinth to match the 124 chassis. After I finished the corners the plinth looked wimpy so I added 2 more layers of BB. Brings the total to 12 layers of different thicknesses. Almost 8" thick. MDF and Baltic Birch combined. W IMG_0305 (1).JPG IMG_0306.JPG

With that belt drive you should probably go with an electric water pump, bigger injectors, and roller rockers! LOL! Nice job on the machining

Back
Top Bottom