Alien covenant

91firebird

Well what's the scoop,is it great ,ok,good.?i really liked the last one and all the rest .the bluray is getting
Great reviews.ridley Scott knows how to make movies.has he ever did a bad movie?

has he ever did a bad movie?

IMHO, his best three films are his first three: The Duellists, Alien and Blade Runner. To me his later films became more "solemn" or self-conscious, meaning less spontaneity and somehow more aimed to please some target public, at least IMHO.

IMHO, his best three films are his first three: The Duellists, Alien and Blade Runner. To me his later films became more "solemn" or self-conscious, meaning less spontaneity and somehow more aimed to please some target public, at least IMHO.

You forgot the Music video for Roxy Music's title track to Avalon ....simply, sensually stunning ...

(and Thelma & Louis, and Black Rain)

I dunno, a recent re-watch of the original Alien had it moving a lot slower than I remember. Probably because I was 12 in 1979 and I had heard the movie was terrifying and was appropriately shitting my pants the whole time, but a recent re-watch to scare the shit out of my teenage twin daughters had them more going to sleep than on the edge of their seats. I have to say, it had me also kind of thinking "hurry up and get to it already."

I have to take a good critical look at the original again, but right now, aside from the groundbreaking creature design and the chest explosion (which don't get me wrong....are both epic game-changers and the Genesis of the modern creature terror flick) the movie seems to plod during the first half and a little more.

I think the remake where we were the bad guys and the aliens were the victims had better momentum even though it was 3 hours long... what's it called... Avatar... ;)

It was OK as a Netflix pick, but it didn't leave me with any desire to buy it.

I just watched it on a flight this past weekend. I was a fan of the original series. Went all the way to Japan just to get a rerelease of the Ripley Seiko watch. This movie was a let down imo.

Watched it last weekend, Pretty much threw away anything to do with Prometheus, would have liked a follow up on the questions about the engineers, Shaw finding their home planet and why they wanted to destroy the human race.
Totally took a left turn and made it all about David and if you haven't seen the movie quit reading. Sort of did what Alien 3 did with Newt and Hicks, very disappointing.

So David is responsible for the Xenomorph in Alien, Really? WTF, lame, lame, lame. So how did the Engineer ship in Alien end up with all the eggs, that David created and having killed the Engineers - Lots of holes. I dunno, the Alien series is just a mess. The should just wipe all of them form existence expect for Alien, Aliens and Prometheus, and forget the AVP vs Predator. I dunno, maybe they can straighten it out if they make a followup to this one, but I doubt it.

You would think at least some of the crew on some of these missions would've read the memo about not looking directly into anything resembling "eggs", that you might find.

I dunno, a recent re-watch of the original Alien had it moving a lot slower than I remember. Probably because I was 12 in 1979 and I had heard the movie was terrifying and was appropriately shitting my pants the whole time, but a recent re-watch to scare the shit out of my teenage twin daughters had them more going to sleep than on the edge of their seats. ;)

Not very scary when watching on a small screen. When I saw it in 1979 at the theater on a large screen, many were shocked and grossed out.

Not very scary when watching on a small screen. When I saw it in 1979 at the theater on a large screen, many were shocked and grossed out.

I wouldn't say 100 inches is small, but yeah, it's not a theater. Although until IMAX, I did have better audio than most theaters!

I reckon it was disappointing and in line with Alien 3.

Way too many holes in the plot and I agree with dzkfraser, throw them all out except Alien, Aliens (the best IMO) and Prometheus and leave it at that. OK, the chest bursting was good back in the day, but it's been done to death.

Saw it last night. All of the above and 1 thought, face mask. A couple more, 150+ years ahead and we're still using the AR15 platform and Russian cosmonaut inner helmets?

/who wrote this crap?

The slowness of the original Alien was done on purpose, as a set-up to intense action, like the initial Ripley not allowing the folks back on Nostromo after Kane got one on his face and the arguing about it. Then the slowness before Kane & Chestburster ,and going into the airshafts and Brett in the landing gear well. Another movie that used this to great effect was "Seconds" with Rock Hudson.

Saw it last night. All of the above and 1 thought, face mask. A couple more, 150+ years ahead and we're still using the AR15 platform and Russian cosmonaut inner helmets?

/who wrote this crap?

I noticed that as well, strange considering the original Aliens focused so much on the space marine pulse rifles. To be fair though, lots of futuristic sci fi series use the AR15 platform, such as Dark Matter. To most people, an AR15 with a few accessories looks futuristic.

I noticed that as well, strange considering the original Aliens focused so much on the space marine pulse rifles. To be fair though, lots of futuristic sci fi series use the AR15 platform, such as Dark Matter. To most people, an AR15 with a few accessories looks futuristic.

AHOY MATEY, SPOILERS HO!

Some would call it phoning it in. The point is who is likely to go see a film like this? It was ostensibly tech sci-fi (I think) so the viewer might be someone that would notice details. The film exists in the timeline between Blade Runner and Aliens. Both films are loaded with tech, firearms, etc. not easily ID'd. This did not kill the film for me, I was well on my way when they deshipped without biofilters and began stomping about. And this; Closer, closer, put your face right over that squirmy thing... /paraphrased

As far as Dark Matter, it gets a conditional pass, it has a limited budget. However that only goes so far. Firefly had a limited budget too but used many unique resin clads over current firearms to make them unique. Each show though exists in planetary backwaters where old firearms might still be in use. I'll cede that point for both. As an aside, my wife who is not a firearms ace by any measure noticed the guns in Covenant looked a lot like ones in my safe.

Which is what I don't get. It straightforward to obscure any firearms platform. But, a choice was made not to do that and likely because whomever in charge of that was indifferent. This laziness is found in nearly every film grunted out over the last decade and not just with firearms. Hollywood wonders why the box office is down? You'd think with all the competing formats of video entertainment that getting little details right would be a no brainer.

/rant mode: off

The "Alien" creature was created by Hans Ruedi "H.R." Giger. The special effects people invented a whole new use for KY Jelly, they must a purchased it by the 55 gallon oil drum.

I liked the Prometheus. What has disappointed me is there has been no follow up on it. When Dr. Elizabeth Shaw ( Noomi Rapace) took off for the Engineer's home Planet I was looking forward to that movie so far I have been disapointed.

IMG_1846.JPG

Last edited:
Watched it recently, really enjoyed it even if there were a couple of predictable moments. I also enjoyed Prometheus even with it's flaws.

To be fair though, lots of futuristic sci fi series use the AR15 platform, such as Dark Matter. To most people, an AR15 with a few accessories looks futuristic.

I don't see why the AR platform won't be used far in the future--guns are a very mature technology and are unlikely to change in a profound way. Self loading rifles were first developed well over 100 years ago and the modern smokeless powder cartridge goes back to the 1880s. Call a modern rifle a "self contained kinetic energy projectile weapon" and it sounds quite sci-fi.

Hell, people have been using guns of one kind or another since the 1300s--the Middle Ages.

Back
Top Bottom