Man, My System Sounds Good Today....

All depends on the cartridge and album match for me. My modified Phillips GP922 is brutally revealing and honest getting the best from only the best recordings, modified Grace F8L is much the same though with a musicality that can breathe life into anything about Koetsu Rosewood is a romantic sounding cart can make pretty much anything sound good at the expense of the detail and transparency the other two carts afford.... That's it really, the source determines overall sound in my systems.

I may have to put the external power bracket on the Paul Pang v2.

I'll see if iPower helps the Singer F-1 / PP v2 chain.

I'm all digital.

I've always wondered if humidity affects the sound of a stereo system -- specifically the speakers. Maybe messes with paper cones? Makes them more pliable, less rigid? Or something. Damp, humid air hanging around for a few days could easily make its way into a ported speaker. Just thinkin' out loud here.

Last edited:
I've always wondered if humidity affects the sound of a stereo system -- specifically the speakers.
It most certainly affects my electrostats! Maintaining the same output level requires a higher bias charge. I use a de-humidifier in the listening room to keep it below about 55%.

And wood furniture, wood doors, etc. do expand when it gets humid. In better furniture tables are often designed to allow a wood table top to "float" because it will expand/contract and possibly split otherwise. Maybe wood speaker cabinets react to humidity, also? Okay, back to the music....

In the day in day out it should to be the same SQ, provided all the connections are tight and clean, and the solder joints too. Therefore it seems like it has to be the 2 other variables. The brain interpreting the music, and the music itself. When my system suddenly sounds off I put on some very familiar great sounding music, turn it up a little and listen. I am usually satisfied after that.

I've always wondered if humidity affects the sound of a stereo system -- specifically the speakers. Maybe messes with paper cones? Makes them more pliable, less rigid? Or something. Damp, humid air hanging around for a few days could easily make its way into a ported speaker. Just thinkin' out loud here.

Well, depending on the temperature, sound does carry different. A hot summer day sounds different than a cold winter day.

I would say that possibly could influence sound. Subjective. Air molecules are denser when its cold. Better coupling?

All depends on the cartridge and album match for me. My modified Phillips GP922 is brutally revealing and honest getting the best from only the best recordings, modified Grace F8L is much the same though with a musicality that can breathe life into anything about Koetsu Rosewood is a romantic sounding cart can make pretty much anything sound good at the expense of the detail and transparency the other two carts afford.... That's it really, the source determines overall sound in my systems.

Another AV member mentioned the Koetsu Rosewood (I think I have the correct name). Is it a very expensive vintage MC cart? The poster loves it.

I've always wondered if humidity affects the sound of a stereo system -- specifically the speakers.

I figure barometric pressure is another factor. Humidity does make air heavier, too. In the end, I think mood trumps both, though. I listen to music most days, but some days I'd rather watch TV, or read, or write, or some mix of all these. I can often put myself in the mood to listen to music just by putting on something I like, and when that occasionally doesn't work, I find something else.

Another AV member mentioned the Koetsu Rosewood (I think I have the correct name). Is it a very expensive vintage MC cart? The poster loves it.

Yes, I got mine used though it's still one of my most expensive carts. It's amongst my top 3 carts. Each of the 3 is better at something than the other.

My HH Scott 222c that I recently had restored by Casper at 'Stereo Rehab' in Chicago can do no wrong. This sucker is so fricken musical and rich sounding.

The air, my mood......and whatever else must all be just right today. Ah......my car is sitting in the driveway just gleaming away because I detailed it this morning. Maybe that's it!

Inasmuch as I significantly upgraded amplification/DAC since my previous post, I've had to revise my benchmark for "good." I thought it sounded good before, but for the last few days it has been difficult for me to tear myself away from listening to music. So, yeah, still on honeymoon with new amp and it sounds very good indeed to me tonight. At least for the last few hours I finally caught up on sleep, and just began another session, opening with Enya Watermark.

Was listening (DON'T LAUGH) to Abba last night.
Sounded ok but near the end of the (gasp) cd I moved the toe in on the right speaker maybe 3 or 4 degrees out...just guessing.
WHAM BAM Thank you Ma'am!!!
Made a huge difference and ABBA was almost standing in front of me.

I've long known how a change in toe in/toe out can change the character of the music.
Last night was just proof once again.
Hope it sounds as good the next time I turn the rig on...I swear my hearing changes from day to day.

With the Acoustat Monitor 3, 1mm change in toe in or vertical is critical. Not sure what that equates to at 12' in deg., but probably quite a bit. Equal vertical angle is as important as anything.

Back
Top Bottom