Nice Review of the D1100 at Computer Audiophile.

Well, yes and no. Which is why I said it doesn't support the extra folds through hardware decoding. That article states software decoding gets about 90% of the MQA benefits (first fold). Which is pretty qualitative. I'd love to be wrong, but from my very early paper only research it's hard to say if ~90% of MQA through the D1100 is better than 100% of MQA through a lesser dac. That's all. Is it a deal breaker? Maybe not. But worth a question or two before a large purchase.

McIntosh D1100 Digital Preamplifier DAC Review - Part Two

The sound quality of a wide range of music played through the D1100 was rich, vibrant and lush, yet incredibly detailed given the right recording. My favorite rock and roll was reproduced in all its grungy glory, with power and fullness. At the same time, more traditional audiophile recordings, played through the McIntosh D1100 DAC, still displayed extreme detail and provided x-ray like information about each performance.

I recommend the McIntosh D1100 very highly, as it deserves all the praise it will receive in the coming months and years.
"

These statements are as true as ever, especially since the USB issue has been resolved. I'm happy to place the McIntosh D1100 Digital Preamplifier DAC on the Computer Audiophile Suggested Hardware (CASH) List.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...gital-preamplifier-dac-review-part- two-r667/

Well Computer Audiophile gives it 5 stars. And he's about as tough of a reviewer you'll find out there. He doesn't cut anyone slack.

I know who you're talking about. Couple months ago on another forum he claimed Mcintosh didn't design and build its Dacs. They were Wadia Dacs with Mcintosh label.

As I was told by the factory, for the D1100, in addition to the hardware upgrade, there is a firmware update that solves three small problems. But I did not know or want to answer the question: is there an update to make the D1100 read DSD512 and MQA files streams?

Question for Ron C: I have the D1100 connected via the fixed outputs to my C1100. The C1100 has NOT taken over the input control of the D1100. I am told that I need a software upgrade. (Why, considering they are both essentially brand new is puzzling, but...) Frankly, I don't care about controlling the D1100 via the C1100. My only concern is that I am not utilizing TWO preamplifiers in the circuit. I only want to use the D1100 as a DAC. My ASSUMPTION (yes, dangerous word) is that the fixed output connection renders the D1100 a DAC only. Is that correct? Thanks, Jeff

Question for Ron C: I have the D1100 connected via the fixed outputs to my C1100. The C1100 has NOT taken over the input control of the D1100. I am told that I need a software upgrade. (Why, considering they are both essentially brand new is puzzling, but...) Frankly, I don't care about controlling the D1100 via the C1100. My only concern is that I am not utilizing TWO preamplifiers in the circuit. I only want to use the D1100 as a DAC. My ASSUMPTION (yes, dangerous word) is that the fixed output connection renders the D1100 a DAC only. Is that correct? Thanks, Jeff

Your C1100 came with the custom interconnect cable that runs between the C1100 and D1100. When connected the D1100 will be a pure DAC with 8 digital inputs.
Thanks,
Ron-C

Your C1100 came with the custom interconnect cable that runs between the C1100 and D1100. When connected the D1100 will be a pure DAC with 8 digital inputs.
Thanks,
Ron-C
Ron, thank you for your response. Yes, I connected the cable between my D1100 and C1100 AND I have a pair of XLR cables connected from the fixed outputs of my D1100 to the Balanced Input no. 6 of my C1100. Are you saying I don't need the XLR interconnects? My understanding is that the cable which came with the C1100 was to pass data re control of inputs, and it is NOT an interconnect cable like the DIN cable which connects my D1100 and MCT450. Please advise. Thanks, Jeff

Ron, thank you for your response. Yes, I connected the cable between my D1100 and C1100 AND I have a pair of XLR cables connected from the fixed outputs of my D1100 to the Balanced Input no. 6 of my C1100. Are you saying I don't need the XLR interconnects? My understanding is that the cable which came with the C1100 was to pass data re control of inputs, and it is NOT an interconnect cable like the DIN cable which connects my D1100 and MCT450. Please advise. Thanks, Jeff

The C1100 was developed before the D1100 as they fell out of sync. So yes you need a SW update which is how control functions are changed.
Thanks,
Ron-C

The C1100 was developed before the D1100 as they fell out of sync. So yes you need a SW update which is how control functions are changed.
Thanks,
Ron-C
Yes, I understand I need a software update. My question is whether that proprietary cable eliminates the need for a pair of interconnect cables? Your earlier response seemed to suggest that, but that seems unlikely. Thanks.

Yes, I understand I need a software update. My question is whether that proprietary cable eliminates the need for a pair of interconnect cables? Your earlier response seemed to suggest that, but that seems unlikely. Thanks.

Sorry for the confusion, yes the fixed balanced outs of D1100 still have to be connected to the C1100 when the custom CONTROL cable is connected between the two..
Thanks, Ron-C

Back
Top Bottom