It's working! Thank you everyone!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@hjames: don't worry, I'm calm. I'm simply pointing out that conflicts often occur here due to the casual use of terms that are, in essence, insults. Calling one group of members here "dumpster divers" is insulting. I don't care if you have picked something out of the trash or not, it is the casual labelling and name calling that is the problem.

When you do that it automatically puts the person you are talking to on the defensive. It detracts from productive conversation because people want to defend themselves instead of debating the issue.

If this is normal operating procedure for you then maybe it isn't apparent. This is not the way I communicate and I'm just trying to clue you in to the way I work.

While I personally also don't really care about the actual identitity of a help-seeking person on a web forum, I nevertheless have a problem with made-up "pseudo-identities" - 'cause the lies involved to me aren't white lies, but just unnecessary lies, which do not only seem silly, but also let the suspicion arise, that the request for help is just made-up as well. And while helpful replies on a made-up request may still be helpful to other users some day, to me that's only a weak comfort compared to the the strong feeling that someone has stolen my attention, time and helpfulness for nothing.

Hence to me the relevant question would be, whether at least MM's requests for help were real. If so, I don't care who she (or he) actually is, because that doesn't really matter to me anyway - but if not, I think she (or he) should be banned from AK.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

edit: typo extermination - forgot a plural s...

Great way with words. Mein Respekt haste.

Sorry, I don't consider dumpster diving an insult - as I said, check your own baggage on that.
I grab lamps and such off the curb on trash day and am pretty darned open about it.

I am not responsible for people taking an innocent term as an insult.
How would I know if you take offense at "curb-grabber" or god knows what else ...?

I have been here over 10 years and people know I am friendly and easy going.

Sorry, I don't consider dumpster diving an insult - as I said, check your own baggage on that.
I am not responsible for people taking an innocent term as an insult.

I think "dumpster diving" is cute, because, hey, that is EXACTLY what I have done. You need to get in there. :)

Yeah your right, a member joined and told some white lies, like the ones we see in ever score post and I should just follow the crowed and brand members with name calling and disrespect.

Actually nothing has been established yet or maybe never will be. I'll just sit here by myself in reality without the fog of judgment one way or another.
What is it with you and the "score" threads ? Just people celebrating and sharing their good fortune .

Calling one group of members here "dumpster divers" is insulting.
Is it?

I thought that was just the standard colloquial term for personally-directed disposal container recyclable-item recovery activity. No particular negative connotations -- unless delivered with a sneer, and then it's the sneerer's problem, not mine -- and plenty of positive connotations around recycling, re-use, avoiding landfill, preserving history, "scroe-ing" a good deal, etc.

"Dumpster Diver - Its not the main thing, just something I have done."

- I used to have older british motorcycles, Triumph Fan would fit as a gig,
later I had sports cars - Alfa Romeo fan would fit at that point,and later,
when I first got back into audio, I collected JBL gear, so JBL Fan could have been my sig...
but ... I moved on, as you could too.

That's eight pages of troll food. Why won't this thread die?

trolling-8801-1920x1200.jpg

Is it? I thought that was just the standard colloquial term for personally-directed disposal container recyclable-item recovery activity. No particular negative connotations.

Maybe this is where the problem is. Where I come from (a depressed, post industrial city), a dumpster diver is synonymous with a bum. There are actually bums around here that you would have to fight in order to pick through a dumpster ( alright, I made that up :) ).

First, I am trying to stay out of this hog-waller. That said, I'll be brief:

While I personally also don't really care about the actual identitity of a help-seeking person on a web forum, I nevertheless have a problem with made-up "pseudo-identities" - 'cause the lies involved to me aren't white lies, but just unnecessary lies, which do not only seem silly, but also let the suspicion arise, that the request for help is just made-up as well.

First of all, you said 'identi-tity'. Little Fruedian slip there?:rflmao:

Seriously though, there were several posts along these lines and I picked this one out as the example that most reflects my feelings.

I did think it was odd that, when I (very politely, I believe) shared the story about krzygrrl and Amy Smart, MM decided to change her avatar pic. That alone gave me some confidence in this person. Unfortunately it was changed not to something benign but to another pic that was not what it was claimed to be. I have no problem with keeping your actual kids' faces off the internet. I'm fine with that. But either the point (which I made rather clearly, I thought) was completely missed, or something else is going on. The reply to my post seemed very 'normal' but it seemed out of character for a genuine person to then post another fake pic.

What keeps these rolling disasters going is the mystery of it. Here it is mid-day the next day, the thread is 8 pages long, and who's not here? But, there's audio stuff to do, so I'm not spending a lot more time on it.

Did anyone else think the title of this post has a double meaning? :naughty:

Took me a minute, but yeah, if pandemonium is what MM was going for, it's working. :rflmao:

Peace out my friends. :thumbsup:

Maybe this is where the problem is. Where I come from (a depressed, post industrial city), a dumpster diver is synonymous with a bum. :) ).

Yep, doesn't mean that here - so its a localized insult for you that we don't mean, or get.

Around here, they use Audiophile as an insult - someone who cares more about the gear and the look of their stuff
than they do about actually listening to the music.
So what!
I use Audiophile as flattery, without irony and enjoy the term
as simply one who appreciates or enjoys audio!...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom