anyone else running vintage Empire carts?

...Ever heard of the Empire 980LT? I have had one for a while that looks exactly like a 1080LT, but for the model number. The plastic on the stylus is black, and it has a fine tie wire running horizontally under and back from the cantilever (perhaps what wualta meant in post #226) -- but I can't really tell whether it looks or ever looked to be gold-plated. ... I've looked in the standard places ... and found nothing on this model. ...
Looks like it's time to re-post the specs for the LTD line and post the specs for the 980 LT "AfterChunky" p-mount model:
early LTD series spec sheet- crop-E.jpg specs- a.jpg 1.jpg
The spec sheet says that the 980 LT, even though it isn't called a GT, is supposed to have a Gold-Touched cantilever. Do I think it makes a whole lotta difference if it does or doesn't? Nah. But the lack of it might mean a given stylus isn't an original-genuine-Empire though still a who-knows-who-made-it-genuine-Empire.

If it's not original-genuine, it's not the end of the world, because if it sounds good, it is good.

In my photo archives, which even #%@* Photobucket cannot destroy, I have only very small lousy photos of the 980 LT. Lousy because they don't show whether or not the original stylus had a gold "LT" on top or whether it had the fine "safety filament"-- and yes, your description matches what I've seen on these styli. This same design feature shows up better (as a black line) on the S22E in the handy gif posted by turntableneedles.com:
Empire S22E, 242-DE.gif
Hmm.. I think we need to guilt-trip anyone who actually has an S980LT stylus into posting some closeups of its aforementioned features..

Last edited:
"wualta, post: 10848242, member: 6876"]Looks like it's time to re-post the specs for the LTD line and post the specs for the 980 LT "AfterChunky" p-mount model:

Thank you very, very much! I'm fairly sure it's the original stylus (and am quite certain that it is SOME original Empire stylus), though the cantilever may be dirty or corroded somehow. Good to know that the 980 in principle should have that Midas "touch"...
Gratefully,
Nick

Thank you very, very much! I'm fairly sure it's the original stylus (and am quite certain that it is SOME original Empire stylus), though the cantilever may be dirty or corroded somehow. Good to know that the 980 in principle should have that Midas "touch"...
Gratefully,
Nick
...not a LAC, though. I can't say that surprises me, as it doesn't sound quite as good as a LAC should.

Sadly, the 980 LT lacks a LAC, but assuming a clean, unworn record, it should still sound pretty darn good. The LAC's scanning radius is actually slightly fatter than the 980's elliptical (6 microns vs 5, or 0.24 mil vs 0.2). We can't assume all other factors are equal, but if they were, the sound of the two diamonds would be, should be, very similar, again assuming that hypothetical clean unworn record.
Does the 980 track S sounds well? I ask because I suspect that the moving system of the 980 is the same as the one in the 1080, which means the effective tip mass is about the same as the 2000Z's. I wish the spec sheet mentioned this so I could be certain. Note that the compliance is the same for the top three, as befits p-mounts, and the uniformity of their frequency-response specs. The 580 LT used the 800 UFR stylus. The only oddball was the cheapie 480 LT, which used what looks very much like a standard TC 400 stylus. It's still suitable for p-mount duty.
afterchunky p-mounts with a golden touch .jpg

Last edited:
Does the 980 track S sounds well? I ask because I suspect that the moving system of the 980 is the same as the one in the 1080, which means the effective tip mass is about the same as the 2000Z's. I wish the spec sheet mentioned this so I could be certain. Note that the compliance is the same for all, as befits p-mounts, and the uniformity of the frequency-response specs. The 580 LT used the 800 UFR stylus. The only oddball was the cheapie 480 LT, which used what looks very much like a standard TC 400 stylus.
View attachment 1002734

Having mounted the 980 and tried it out on a few records so far, I think it's been tracking very well at around 1g. No excessive sibilance noted, though I haven't specifically listened for that yet. I'll try some vocals that are good for critical S listening and get back to you.

Generally the sound of the 980 is neutral, full, and detailed through my system (not the one in my signature, but an all-SS system) -- not too unlike the Empire 1000ZE/X which I had mounted just before it, also with original stylus and also at around 1g.

Last edited:
The only oddball was the cheapie 480 LT, which used what looks very much like a standard TC 400 stylus.
View attachment 1002734

Yes, the 480 LT advertised an "0.2 x 0.7 mil Nude Mounted Elliptical Diamond", which corresponds to the TC400...but that's no slouch now, is it?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-NOS-EMPIRE-480LT-Stylus-Needle-Cartridge-In-Box-NR-/142495513616
(Without getting this post moved to $ and Sense, I think I'm allowed to note that someone seems to have lucked out there.)

Interesting to note, by the way, that the TC400 stylus actually has higher compliance than the LAC...the comparison chart shows a VTF range for the TC400 that goes down to 3/4 gram (as opposed to 1g for the LAC).

My new Dual 1229 came with an Empire TC40. So far, it's a definite improvement from my AT LS400 I was using on my 1226.

This will be a big read getting though this whole thread!

It's LP-lickin' good! Don't let it's lesser-looking specs put you off. It sounds better than it looks on paper. So if you can't get a 1080 LT or 980 LT, don't fret.

Edit: the TC 40's stylus, the S44E...
Empire TC-40  (4).JPG
...is the smoky-green twin of the red S400TC. Same cartridge and stylus under the different cosmetics.
Empire 400 TC-b.jpg

Last edited:
My '61 208 is all original with the 108 cart. I just replaced what I think is the original needle. Luckily I found one in white and the last one apparently. The arm tracks a tad poorly with both needles on some newer records on the first track and usually ceases after that. I think I'm tracking at 3 grams right now. Any tips?

I read that the 915E stylus for the 2000Z, while it has a square shank, it is a smaller dimension than the 66/E or 2000E styluses such as the 916E or 906E. Physically they look to be the same blob on clip.
Can anyone confirm if this is true or not?

Last edited:
It's true. The 2000Z looks like the other Blobs, but is different-- unique-- inside. Inductance is very high (for a '70s Empire), and the pole pieces are laminated, like a V15 III's.

I know very little about the early-stereo-era Empires like the 108 and have minimal experience with the 208 turntable. Can anyone help Blackburn with his question?

My '61 208 is all original with the 108 cart. I just replaced what I think is the original needle. Luckily I found one in white and the last one apparently. The arm tracks a tad poorly with both needles on some newer records on the first track and usually ceases after that. I think I'm tracking at 3 grams right now. Any tips?
You have to be more specific about what arm you are using, if possible. (Pictures would be great.) The 208 designation was for the turntable only, sans arm. You could have one of two different Empire arms on it or another makers arm entirely. Let us know.

Also please remember the 108 was a very early stereo cartridge. Even though it is probably mated to an ideal arm, it will most likely have issues with modern, loudly cut records. Plus, NOS styli are rare, and if you do have an NOS one, there's no way for us to tell if the rubber is in good shape. And aftermarket styli can be such a crapshoot quality wise.

Speaking of the Empire - - 80lt series, a seller on eBay has a small stock of NOS 280lt cartridges for $30 shipped. I know this was a lesser model with likely a much lesser styli, but i went ahead and grabbed one as the price seems great to me. I was thinking this cart may be a decent candidate to try out Jico's 1000gt shibata replacement. I think he's got about 9 more if anyone is interested.

For the past few months i have been enjoying an Empire 999ve/x i picked up at an old thrift warehouse in the middle of nowhere. I'm not certain but it looks and sounds like it was brand new. It came packaged in a nice looking wooden box which i thought was pretty cool as i have only seen the jewelry style boxes. Should I be concerned of the suspension/rubber being stiff or dried out? It doesn't sound harsh. Here is a recording i made of it if anyone want's a tease. (I know, I know, Youtube doesn't do it justice but i was careful about letting youtube convert a lossless .wav file so there should be less degredation)

That is a good deal for folks who use p-mount cartridges. The 280 LT (one I don't own myself) may be "lesser", but it's special nonetheless-- where else are you going to find a light-tracking 4x7 elliptical? [well, okay, there's Audio-Technica's AT112EP].
Empire 280LT specs.JPG
I like the strategy of having a p-mount body that will accept some of the better "Chunky" styli. The 400 TC and S44E styli mentioned above will do p-mount duty, as will the aftermarket 4241-DID we've been recommending. If you should be fortunate enough to own, say, an 800 UFR cartridge, but you'd like to hear what it would sound like on, say, a Technics SL-7 with its lightweight damped arm, getting something like the 280 LT would let you do that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom