Do you still read newspaper?

c5corvette

I do. Delivered seven days a week. When I ask friends/co- workers their opinion on certain topics printed in paper, they are clueless because they don't read the local paper. They get their news/info on their cell phone, so don't bother them with topics in the paper. Oh, well.

Old fashioned I suppose, but I enjoy reading in the morning with coffee. It is a process, just like playing vinyl. Unwrap the paper, catch the smell of fresh paper and ink, turn pages, fight the folds, etc.

I work at a large automobile dealership and on the off days when I don't have time to read the paper, I take it to work and lay it on the table in the customer waiting room for them to enjoy. On many days, with many customers there, the paper remains untouched. Perhaps they don't even notice it since the glued to their cell phones. Your thoughts?

What I like about the physical paper better than looking at the news on a tablet or phone is it seems so much easier to skim pages and I often find articles that are interesting that I'd never see to click on digitally.

Online it is all about the click bait headlines; you don't get the layout with the text of the article right below the headline so that you can read a few sentences in and see if it is an interesting subject. With a real paper it is more of a leisurely experience as I flip through and skim articles finding the ones that are interesting. More often than not the best articles were the ones that didn't jump out as being ones I'd like.
I tried a Washington Post app that was like a flip book of headlines and pictures and quickly tired of it. Maybe I'm just too lazy to keep tapping forward and back to see if beyond the headline the story is interesting.

That being said our paper delivery service is so spotty that I gave up on it. They deliver for several different papers and would give us the wrong one too often. When we'd stop delivery for a vacation they'd keep delivering and the papers would pile up in the driveway. I even went to stopping delivery several days early and they'd goof up half way through and start delivering the papers again.

Yes, I read it nearly daily, as time allows. Still nice to sit down with a newspaper in your hand and read at the end of a day or the beginning of one.

I get the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Washington Times delivered. For weekly news, I get The Economist. And, yes, I read the dailies with my morning coffee. I'll make a mental note of articles I want to read in the evening.

I enjoy reading in the morning with coffee. It is a process, just like playing vinyl. Unwrap the paper, catch the smell of fresh paper and ink, turn pages, fight the folds, etc.
I agree 100%. I canceled my subscription a couple of years ago and have really missed it. I think I'm going to re-subscribe.

This topic speaks to me, thx for posting.
I get the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Washington Times delivered
That's an impressive list, and I often read three in one day, too. Unlike you, I'm a cheap bastard and tend to seek them out in local cafes and our excellent public libraries, and yes, always with coffee. My usual trio is Boston Globe, New York Times and Wall Street Journal, but I am also always impressed with the local (and free!) Cambridge Chronicle. For those who enjoy good feature writing and reviews (fashion, food, wine, film, music, design, tech gear, autos, books, films) and want to find the best crossword puzzle and other mind-benders, take a look at the weekend WSJ's Review and Off Duty sections.
...the Detroit Free Press and the Ann Arbor Newspapers
When I lived in Ann Arbor for ten years, I was very loyal to the Detroit Free Press even though the father of one of my roommates was a columnist for the Detroit News, and yes, the AA paper was pretty good for local events and politics and town-gown issues. There was also a very good (free!) downtown newsprint monthly called the Ann Arbor Observer which emerged during my years there.
you don't get the layout with the text of the article right below the headline
Ugh....yes, so true - - I simply do not enjoy reading newspapers online - - somehow, the visual distractions are far more bothersome than the mildly annoying ads in the print paper.
....fight the folds, etc.
Yeah, like when standing on a crowded subway car or waiting at a windy bus stop! :mad:

"Offenburger Tageblatt" (local newspaper, daily).
"Stuttgarter Zeitung" (nationwide newspaper, daily).

I used to have a subscription to The New York Times, but it got too expensive. You will get a lot of information, stories, that you may not get on the net. Of course, you may get some stories on the net that you won't get in the paper. I love the idea of sitting down and reading the paper, over reading something on a screen. I still pick up The Times or other papers once in a while, but I have a problem with a lot of the mainstream media for a whole host of reasons that can't be discussed in this forum.

I get the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Washington Times delivered. For weekly news, I get The Economist. And, yes, I read the dailies with my morning coffee. I'll make a mental note of articles I want to read in the evening.

Not the Examiner, eh? Not worth the price?;)

Cheers,
Larry B.

Being a former daily newspaper reporter, I can't break the habit and still get the San Francisco Chronicle delivered every day. The cats and I go out to get it, then one cat comes back in to help me read it. Nice quiet day to start my day. I also get the Economist every week. I like both because, unlike auto news feeds which only shows specific topics, I see a wide variety of articles and end up reading about things I didn't realize I was interested in.

We live just outside a town that's a bedroom for the bay area. When we moved here in 1986, the local paper was a twice weekly publication which we subscribed to, along with a paper from a nearby larger town that handled more of the nation/world news. During the housing boom of the 90s, the local paper became a daily paper, but we still kept both. When the big housing boom started to die, the local went back to 2 days, and now it's been sold and only does one on Friday. We dumped it as soon as the kids were out of high school and just kept the other paper.

Unfortunately, it has also been sold to a larger conglomeration that unfortunately only views issues from one side. I usually like to hear both sides of an issue, and it isn't always possible to do with this particular paper. It comes 7 days a week, and we still get it, but it's usually a disappointment. Some (very little) of the local things are good, and as much as I hate to say it, I keep up with the obituaries.

One bright spot, though. I do a lot of shipping, and the newspaper is perfect for padding in packages.

News paper? I remember news paper. My friends, Moses and Aaron and I used to read news scrolls with our morning coffee and manna.

Yes, I subscribe, but it gives me the uncomfortable feeling that my subscription money is giving aid and comfort to the enemy. The newspaper neither reflects my views nor the majority of the views in this region.

My mother also has a subscription. When she moved from assisted living to the memory care unit (the buildings are connected), I stopped at the newspaper office and told them that I would not be renewing the subscription. They want to be notified if you are not renewing. There is no refund for canceling the subscription, so I told them to keep delivering it to one of the buildings until it expires. My mother is past the point of reading the newspaper.

Many years ago, I subscribed to another newspaper for Sunday only delivery. It is a nearby big city that offers delivery in this area. Come Sunday, no newspaper. They called that evening to ask if I received it. They had the wrong address. This went on for 4 consecutive Sundays. On the fourth Sunday, I told them that if you can't get it here next Sunday, cancel my subscription. They still had the wrong address. I ended up writing to the vice president of circulation in order to correct the problem. Then I had to mail back the refund check. Apparently the only thing they understand at the lower levels is "Cancel my Subscription."

After I started to subscribe for a year at a time, it was easy to see when the subscription would expire. When they told me it would expire 2 weeks earlier than it should, I had enough and did not renew. I got a later notice that the expiration was really at the correct time, but by then it was too late.

I think a lot of the problems with the print media are self-inflicted.

News paper? I remember news paper. My friends, Moses and Aaron and I used to read news scrolls with our morning coffee and manna.

At my former job, one of my much younger coworkers said that when my generation dies off, the newspapers will die with us, because her generation does not read the newspaper.

I like to read the morning paper, but it got too expensive so we cancelled it. It was also getting thinner and thinner. They bundle the price with their digital access, but we never used that and there's no way to get the price down under $45/month or so. Even cutting the weekly and just getting Sunday delivery doesn't help much, so I just go to the store and buy the thing for $3 on Sunday morning. No TV magazine and no digital access. TV listings online are actually better. IMO, their business model has something seriously wrong with it. There isn't much actual reporting and with all the ads, the thing should be free.

Back
Top Bottom