Zero cost improvement to speaker performance!

Remove and re-insert or twist banana connectors once in awhile to restore a possible "filmy" contact (oxidizing or just general atmospheric hazing on metal surfaces). Also rotate any hi/mid controls built into the speakers. this will help keep the contact wipes cleaner.

Also, I have found that elevating the speaker's tweeters higher then ear level seems to improve the sound stage (but may reduce bass output).

Also, id you preamp or receiver has lots of tape monitor buttons or things that might be in the signal path, push them in and out many times monthly to remove possible oxidation from not being used.

First, get one of these, about 12 bucks or so.P1020400.JPG Then use it to align your speakers vertically so they are exactly the SAME, not necessarily 90deg. They won't be the same when you check them. You've been lazy so far, cuz you know. Have a critical listen before. Make sure you set it against the baffle also to verify. You will likely be surprised. Some will be astonished

First, get one of these, about 12 bucks or so. Then use it to align your speakers vertically so they are exactly the SAME, not necessarily 90deg. They won't be the same when you check them. You've been lazy so far, cuz you know. Have a critical listen before. Make sure you set it against the baffle also to verify. You will likely be surprised. Some will be astonished

That's a neat idea! To make sure I understand correctly: Is it the angle between the face of the cabinet and the floor that you're measuring?

That's a neat idea! To make sure I understand correctly: Is it the angle between the face of the cabinet and the floor that you're measuring?
To start with, sure why not. Some specs call for perfectly perpendicular to the floor with seating height adjusted to suit. But what's really the point behind my post is that by far the most important thing is that both speakers be at the same angle with each other. This is when phase angle is identical. More important than you may realize.

To start with, sure why not. Some specs call for perfectly perpendicular to the floor with seating height adjusted to suit. But what's really the point behind my post is that by far the most important thing is that both speakers be at the same angle with each other. This is when phase angle is identical. More important than you may realize.

I still don't quite understand - could you give us step by step instructions of how you use your magnetic angle locator to align your speakers? Thanks in advance!

Use a laser level + a T-square to point your speakers at the sweet spot.

Don't use cheap laser pointers from the dollar store they are not pointing straight

Last edited:
I still don't quite understand - could you give us step by step instructions of how you use your magnetic angle locator to align your speakers? Thanks in advance!
In the pic it's sitting on top of a speaker showing 0deg., perpendicular to the floor-(level with it). You can set it against any surface and it will show the angle. Just make sure it reads the same on both speakers by adjusting the angle of one speaker to match the other. Use this device to check it. You could use a regular carpenter's level but that would limit precise adjustment to simply level/plumb. The angle finder allows you to precisely set both objects in question, in this case your speakers, to any angle precisely. IOW, angle match them to your room acoustics or seating position. For example, my Acoustat Monitor 3 are best tilted back 4deg when my seating position is 12ft. away.Tilted more forward and they are bass heavy, tilted even further back, they lose some extension and definition.

Don't be afraid to move speakers around a little. Sometimes a small change drastically improves the soundstage in your listening position. And put some tape on the floor or otherwise note their position once you dial them in. I use the mortar lines of my brick sunporch floor.

Eventually, stop screwing with things and just enjoy the music. That's been a hard lesson for me!

Back
Top Bottom