Supertweeters?

If a supertweeter is of very small diameter, such as a 3/4, 5/8, or even 1/2", it's most notable benefit would not necessarily be supersonics, but better off axis dispersion, ala Sony's recent offerings.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I don't quite understand how the sound radiates from the rear, as mentioned above? Maybe I misread lol. I have a few pairs of the Realistics, and they're definitely worth having.

Thanks for the link. I don't quite understand how the sound radiates from the rear, as mentioned above? Maybe I misread lol. I have a few pairs of the Realistics, and they're definitely worth having.

It radiates from the rear once it's removed from it's plastic pod and mounted as shown in these OB's.

P1010029.jpg

Hard to beat the old stand-bys:

Tweeters1.jpg
Tweeters2.jpg

Yeah, are there cheap super tweeters available anyway? Very interested in the idea, would love to try some

So I have been thinking of modding a pair of Magnepan MG-IIb with Infinity Emit tweeters to see if that adds some sparkle. I know the Emit is not technically a supertweeter, but some go up to 32 or 45 kHz. I got a pair of model 902-4941 Emits with the samarium cobalt magnets (orange lettering on a round face plate). Supposedly they came out of a RS 8, but I am having a hard time finding a schematic with the 902-4941 as the specified tweeter to make a mini crossover. Any help?

I did find a RS 8 schematic with a 902-5023 here http://www.infinity-classics.de/technik/manuals/RS_8_technical_sheet.pdf and will assume it is close enough unless if better info appears. Thanks.

Pioneer HPM 150/1500 super tweeter.

It is a polymer horn loaded omnidirectional which gives a 270 degree dispersion.

I had both 1500's and 150's in the past and the best thing about the speakers is that the tweeters give a great airy sound that fills the room with fantastic imaging when set up properly.

Some say that you can't hear them but thats totally NOT true.

You can hear them if they are working and I still have a spare that I'm keeping.

Also had two sets of HPM 900's and those super tweets were pretty nice but not even close to the level of the 150's.

I think that you need the 150/1500 crossovers to make them work but not sure about that.

IMG_4935.PNG

Last edited:
Just ordered these B&C DE35 neodymiums from PE. At $150 they're the most expensive tweeters I've purchased. If they don't beat the Eminence ASD 1001 they're going back. But based on their reviews I have high hopes they will.

294-580_ALT_0.jpg

Tuner Man!

Great piano tuners have grear ears and know how to listen.

I have had my share of pianos and I know at one touch if that A4 is at
440 hertz.

I'll bet you leave those pianos right at 440 and most don't even know the difference!

Way to go tuner man! ;-)"

Yeah, only musicians that use the piano as an ensemble instrument notice. Like the church that wants to play piano and organ together for example. A few people register perfect pitch and require A440. Because of my background as a piano rebuilder, my perspective is that tuning pianos is a tension game. They're designed to function best when the strings (about 230 of them) are in a balanced state of tension at standard pitch. Not only does that result in the intended sound of the piano in terms of tone and resonance, it also helps the piano achieve a higher level of stability. I try to keep all of my customers pianos at A440. Sometimes it's not possible for physical or financial reasons.

will adding an extra super tweeter and requisite crossover affect the speaker load? I have 3 ways now with a regular Phillips mylar tweet. I would to add a pair of electro statics on top.

So - as usual, no uniform opinion.

All you need is logic on this one. Real life has no boundaries on frequency. The wider the frequency range of your system, the better chance it has of recreating a true to life sound. If your listening experience says otherwise then you're possibly less discerning or maybe your hearing isn't as sharp. Since I've made efforts to broaden the range and dynamics of my system with better speakers and higher resolution source material, it has improved my listening experience and made it more fun, for me. I have friends and a wife who don't notice a difference, and I have friends that are amazed at the difference. The results are real and measureable, but not totally tangible or justifiable to everyone.

An audiophile is essentially a stereo gearhead. Would you build a race car and hit the track with regular unleaded in the tank? Stock tires? No way. You go slicks and octane boost and whatever mod they will allow to squeeze all the power and speed you can out of the car. whatever budget will allow, right?

What caps are you guys using with your Realistic super tweets? I never thought about using them open? They radiate from the rear too?
No, they shouldn't (radiate from the rear if the enclosures are removed). They're 'sealed back' drivers, to the best of my recollection.

Any decent capacitor would be an improvement over the stock NP electrolytic.

FWIW (and I may well be wrong!) I think I remember that at least some of the 40-1310 'supertweeters' had second-order XOs in them (cap plus inductor). If yours are so equipped, I'd (ahem) humbly suggest bypassing/removing both elements of the stock XO and just swapping in a good capacitor at a very high nominal XO frequency (10kHz or even higher "knee"). For testing purposes, I'd further encourage you to consider installing a variable L-pad to 'dial in' the supertweeters (by ear or with the aid of a FFT spectrum analysis gizmo). In principle :) the series and parallel resistances for the "best case" attenuation may be measured, and the variable L-pad replaced by a fixed L-pad consisting of two decent quality resistors. Alternatively, one may choose to experiment with fixed L-pad attenuation from the get-go; calculators are available on line (e.g., http://www.erseaudio.com/CrossoverCalculators/L-Pad-Attenuation)

My apologies if this is utterly irrelevant to the questions asked! :p

In my own defense, I do have a pair of 40-1310s, NIB, down in the basement, someplace.

Back
Top Bottom