Suggestion on beefy "yesteryear" receivers to run it as a multichannel amplifier

wingman0121

I'd like to pick up an older receiver and use its analog 7.1 or 9.1 inputs to act like an inexpensive home theater amplifier, can you provide a few suggestions on some TOTL receivers with stout amplifier section but got left behind especially after the introduction of HDMI and now can be had for less than $200?

A few I can think of is the Denon AVR-3805, Yamaha RX-V2500, Yamaha HTR-5890, Sony STR-5000ES, Marantz SR8001...

I can think of a few but there more like in the $400-600 range and I've owned them all. I'm currently running an Onkyo TX-nr1000 and it's not only great for Home Theater but it's amplifiers are so good it's great for 2ch listening as well some others. B&K 305/307-505/507. Pioneer elite vsx 47-49. Yamaha rxz1 rxv1. There's plenty more but those have very robust amplifier sections and imo sound very good.

Audiofreak71

DSP-A1? I've been really tempted to get one of these to try out.

I had the Yamaha DSP-A3090 for a short time and it was a very clean amp so I'd imagine the A1 is even better. However I'm looking for a 7 or more channel receiver with corresponding amount of multichannel inputs, otherwise I'll have to buy two.

It's outside your price range, but a Yamaha RX-Z9 is pretty much the ultimate Yamaha high powered A/V receiver. Over 160 watts per channel, and that's into 7 channels, not 2. Into 2 channels, the Z9 will output over 200 watts into 8 Ohms and 380 watts into 4 Ohms. Other than the Z9, I also agree with the other Yamaha recommendations so far, the RX-V1, DSP-A3090 (which I own), and DSP-A1. All were TOTL Yamaha receivers when released. All worthy. I also have the RX-V3000, another good one. Plus, any of the other Yamaha RX-Z amps are good, the RX-Z11, (RX-Z7 and RX-Z1) being other TOTL contenders. And don't discount the newer Aventage models, especially the various RX-A3*** series, these are the Top Aventage models. I have a RX-A3030 and love it.

Also, in the early 2000's, there was a huge push from Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, and Pioneer, plus others, to release the ultimate high power A/V receiver. A home theater receiver war, that lasted for several years. I've never heard these, but they come highly recommended.

Onkyo TX-NR1000

Denon AVR-5805

Sunfire Ultimate II AV Receiver

Pioneer VSX-59TXi

Marantz SR9600

A couple of other contenders could be from Pioneer, and NAD. The newer Pioneer Elite "SC" series models all use digital amps. Some like them and some don't (too bright). But, Pioneer updates the "SC" models fairly often. So, there's always earlier versions that get dumped by owners, wanting to upgrade to the most current model. Finally, NAD. NAD is NAD. Never anything flashy, but always good sound. Some of their A/V gear has a rep for being a little buggy. Though for amp only use, they should be fine.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I'd add Harman Kardon to that list. Currently using an AVR80 mkii for center and surrounds with a Marantz SR 5007 powering the left and right fronts . The AVR 7000 is also a good candidate. I also have an NAD T744 which I inherited that I haven't found a use for because I still need another HDMI AV receiver with multichannel preamp outs.

You could also look for a stereo receiver with a preamp out/power amp in jacks. NAD, HK are good candidates or sometimes you can pick up a decent budget power amp like the Onkyo M-501 in that price range.

What may actually be the most difficult part is that multichannel outs don't appear on AV receivers until you get to the $1000 range.

What may actually be the most difficult part is that multichannel outs don't appear on AV receivers until you get to the $1000 range.

It'll only need to have 7.1 or 9.1 inputs :) I was using a Sony STR-DA7ES which worked great but something went wrong with it and wouldn't come out of protect no matter what I do. I could stretch the budget a bit, what do you guys think about the Marantz SR8001? I had a SR4001 and the sound from that felt pretty neutral. I know older Sherwood Newcastle had some big ones but I don't know their model number nor do I see them often.

I like these totl avrs.I have a feeling that prices are going to start rising.They already have for the sonic king (from what I gather)Yamaha RXZ9.

I like these totl avrs.I have a feeling that prices are going to start rising.They already have for the sonic king (from what I gather)Yamaha RXZ9.
Your right, Most of the Totl receivers are appreciating in price , my Onkyo TX-nr1000 is going for over $1k now when they could be had for about $500 a few years ago. I had considered selling it because I'm going back to my Seperates but im keeping this bad boy, just to good to get rid of, I'll still use it for my home theater and with prices rising these Totl receivers are well worth scooping up now.

Audiofreak71

Your right, Most of the Totl receivers are appreciating in price , my Onkyo TX-nr1000 is going for over $1k now when they could be had for about $500 a few years ago. I had considered selling it because I'm going back to my Seperates but im keeping this bad boy, just to good to get rid of, I'll still use it for my home theater and with prices rising these Totl receivers are well worth scooping up now.

Audiofreak71
Six months ago the Rxz9 were selling for as low as $300.I know I was watching them on eBay.When it came time for me to buy they disappeared.Then the few started to show up for $800+.Now the ones listed are for $1200 and $2000.Your Onkyo is pretty uncommon as are the Sherwood Newcastle and the Marantz Sr 9600 and with the rarity comes the hefty price.

Six months ago the Rxz9 were selling for as low as $300.I know I was watching them on eBay.When it came time for me to buy they disappeared.Then the few started to show up for $800+.Now the ones listed are for $1200 and $2000.Your Onkyo is pretty uncommon as are the Sherwood Newcastle and the Marantz Sr 9600 and with the rarity comes the hefty price.
The RX-9 is an absolute beast of a receiver, I love it's sound signature and I was dumb for selling it. What I should have done was kept it to compare to all the others side by side, like I did with my B&K 507s2. If one local comes up for a reasonable price I'll scoop it up and never let it go because it's guaranteed to be one of the great Totl classics.

Audiofreak71

The RX-9 is an absolute beast of a receiver, I love it's sound signature and I was dumb for selling it. What I should have done was kept it to compare to all the others side by side, like I did with my B&K 507s2. If one local comes up for a reasonable price I'll scoop it up and never let it go because it's guaranteed to be one of the great Totl classics.

Audiofreak71
I may have told this story but as the craziest luck would have it one showed up on our cl right after they disappeared on eBay.Stuff like this is a rarity on my towns cl.Guy wanted $600 which was more than I wanted to pay but dropped to $400 after a couple of days.I said I better get this now.Came with remote,manual and Mic.No little remote but I can do without.Yeah Z9s are pretty uncommon around these
parts.Just wanted to share this as it was like it was meant to be for me.I auditioned it for a couple of days but have put it aside while I better the room and get the intended speakers setup.Quite a chore when one has too much gear and not enough room.

Wow!, that RXZ-9 was most definitely meant for you, what a deal. Yeah I know what you mean about to much gear not enough space, I've been through that and finally did a big purge but I still have a storage unit that's filled up and have gear in there, I wonder when and what starts to classify you as an Audio hoarder lol, I still have alot less than I did and I got my turntable count down from 8 to 2 so I'm making progress :biggrin:

I'd like to pick up an older receiver and use its analog 7.1 or 9.1 inputs to act like an inexpensive home theater amplifier, can you provide a few suggestions on some TOTL receivers with stout amplifier section but got left behind especially after the introduction of HDMI and now can be had for less than $200?

A few I can think of is the Denon AVR-3805, Yamaha RX-V2500, Yamaha HTR-5890, Sony STR-5000ES, Marantz SR8001...

Your mileage may vary, but I really enjoy my Yamaha V2400. It is well built and has more power than I need. Last weekend I swapped it out for a lesser HDMI-equipped Sony because I wanted the convenience of HDMI switching. That experiment lasted all of a day before the Yamaha went back into service. I think the V1400 is the same model under a different name. I actually own both. Found the 2400 at a thrift for $35, and the 1400 on CL for $30. They are very nice. I'd love to run into a higher end model someday, but i don't feel like the V2400 is has me wanting for anything.

Last edited:

Audiofreak71
What did you think of the B&K 507s?

What did you think of the B&K 507s?
Excellent Receiver, the amps never ran out of steam, could drive almost any speakers and is 2ohm stable which was confirmed by me. Really good sounding receiver as well for some serious 2ch listening as well as movies. I owned the B&K 200.7 amp and the 507s2 sounded the same, so basically B&K put the same amps in there receivers just added a tuner to call it a receiver. Highly recommended whether the 305/7 505/7 series 1 or 2

Excellent Receiver, the amps never ran out of steam, could drive almost any speakers and is 2ohm stable which was confirmed by me. Really good sounding receiver as well for some serious 2ch listening as well as movies. I owned the B&K 200.7 amp and the 507s2 sounded the same, so basically B&K put the same amps in there receivers just added a tuner to call it a receiver. Highly recommended whether the 305/7 505/7 series 1 or 2
I have the 507 but have not put it through its paces like I would like to.Too much gear in the way and not enough room at the moment.Not a whole lot in the way of reviews on this unit so I thought I would ask.Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom