websites to buy bootleg vinyl

luke85

now that discogs have banned the sale of bootlegs, im now trying to find alternatives, ive found one ''musicstack'' but is there any more websites out there that have a good selection of bootlegs ?

cheers

now that discogs have banned the sale of bootlegs, im now trying to find alternatives, ive found one ''musicstack'' but is there any more websites out there that have a good selection of bootlegs ?

cheers

Bootleg vinyl? I didn't even realize that was possible...

Do you mean used albums?

Doubt you will get much info on where to buy knock off LPs.

Good luck!

Barter Town < that's here and you need to be a subscriber.
eBay
There are other site I can't think of right now, but old used bootlegs are not Illegal to sell and buy in the record collecting world.

EDIT
Local Record stores
Flea Markets
Record Shows

Let me just put this out there, no record collection is good or complete sitting behind a computer and clicking BUY. It takes work and many sources, hands on and being in the right place at the right time. Gems are gems because of the whole back story that put them in the collection. 90% of my records I never knew I was buying till I seen it.

Last edited:
As a musician, I object strenuously to the sale or trade of bootleg recordings. I'm sure you've all heard the arguments against, whereas the only argument for is "I just want it." Not to be a major kill-joy, but it would be irresponsible of me to see such a solicitation as this thread and not mention that bootlegs take the bread from the mouths of musicians' children.

Having said that, I agree with 4-2-7 -- get out there and root 'em out.

Bootlegs from years ago aren't taking money away from anyone, they're an interesting collectible in their own right. Like the fake "Jimi Hendrix" record I have which doesn't even have him playing on it!

Bootlegs from years ago aren't taking money away from anyone, they're an interesting collectible in their own right. Like the fake "Jimi Hendrix" record I have which doesn't even have him playing on it!
One could argue the point. If I want to buy a Jimi Hendrix album, and my choice is an official release or a bootleg, I am also choosing who gets the money - his estate and heirs or some guy who never even met him. I'm sure the Hendrix estate agrees. It's a matter of where you draw the line. While I am not a recorded celebrity, I have met many people attempting, with more or less success, to make a living from performances and royalties. To many of them, old used bootlegs are quite relevant to the conversation.

I don't like to get down on people much. I've certainly made my share of mix tapes years ago. If someone gave me a Led Zeppelin bootleg, or traded it to me for a used cartridge or something, I'd listen to it. But I believe any discussion of bootlegs needs a reminder that bootlegging music is not a victimless crime. If that spoils someone's cookies & milk enough that they don't hear that alternate version with the extra 2:37 of jamming from the one night that the drummer had a stand-in because he broke his thumb, I won't lose any sleep over it.

As a musician, I object strenuously to the sale or trade of bootleg recordings.

Bootlegs from years ago aren't taking money away from anyone, they're an interesting collectible in their own right.

Yes used boots from many years ago do no harm to anyone, In fact a lot of them actually preserved history of the said musician. I have quite a few SRV boots that are nice to have, who was really more legion after death. But now these records show his performance live and a lot of them do get authorized know.

There also seems to be a big trend lately pressing records from board tapes, these are all the new live albums we see today. Technically they could be looked at as boots. While they might of had the right 50 years ago to tape the show from the board as an agreement to work the show. I doubt the artist, manager or record label said to put the tapes in production and go ahead and make money without giving use any. But in a lot of these cases, all the parties are gone and the rights to the tapes are the one who owns them. The same goes for used boot records, it's made already, the illegal part was done already and just owning it isn't hurting any artist at this point.

I do like this 1972 record shopping Neil Young was doing though.

I do have a few records that were originally released as bootlegs but were later officially released by the artist. Higher Up by LeRoux is one of them. (I bought it from the band directly.) And public domain stuff is just that. But it's hard to know, when you're digging through a bunch of old records with funky labels, whether or not someone is waiting for a royalty from some of those musicians' work.

As a musician, I object strenuously to the sale or trade of bootleg recordings. I'm sure you've all heard the arguments against, whereas the only argument for is "I just want it." Not to be a major kill-joy, but it would be irresponsible of me to see such a solicitation as this thread and not mention that bootlegs take the bread from the mouths of musicians' children.

Having said that, I agree with 4-2-7 -- get out there and root 'em out.

I play a few instruments myself, but playing music does not have anything to do with buying and selling "bootleg albums".

Not trying to be a troll, just don't understand why being a Musican makes a difference... if it's wrong... it's wrong.

Now dealing with illegally ripping albums and selling them... yea we all agree. That's a given.

Nonetheless, prior to this thread is never heard of "bootleg" LPs. So take it for what it's worth. :) hope that did not sound snarky, not what I was going for.

Kind Regards,
John

Actually artist didn't really make money from their records, the label did, artist earned their money from the performances, and writing royalties.
That's getting in the way back machine, there. These days even small time people have entertainment lawyers look over their contracts and negotiate royalties for them. Very many of the old artists with the horrible contracts to which you refer have successfully sued their old labels for better royalties and, in some cases, back pay. Even studio cats can get songwriting royalties if they can show a big enough contribution to a song, like coming up with a signature riff or similar things. There's no telling when you might have a hit.

I play a few instruments myself, but playing music does not have anything to do with buying and selling "bootleg albums".

Not trying to be a troll, just don't understand why being a Musican makes a difference... if it's wrong... it's wrong.

Now dealing with illegally ripping albums and selling them... yea we all agree. That's a given.

Nonetheless, prior to this thread is never heard of "bootleg" LPs. So take it for what it's worth. :) hope that did not sound snarky, not what I was going for.

Kind Regards,
John

It was not my intention to hijack or completely derail this thread. "As a musician" because I have spent my life talking to musicians, and it's a touchy subject with a lot of folks, and I wouldn't want people bootlegging my stuff if I were trying to sell records. I simply felt a bootleg record thread should have a reminder in it and now it's getting to the point that I'm feeling forced to take an attitude. I just want to be an easygoing guy and say, "Hey, I really think you should think about this somewhat." So, no hard feelings, I'm not trying to start an argument. see you guys on another subject sometime.

I don't know about today, but back when I still bought vinyl, the people who bought boots were hardcore fans who already had all of the official releases from the artists. The artists generally didn't generally lose any money because the customer wasn't choosing boots over official stuff. Buying boots wasn't easy either. You had to know the right record store and the right way to ask to see the boots in stocks guaranteeing that it was only hard core fans and collectors buying them. The Grateful Dead realized this long ago and essentially made it legal for their output.

All that said, quality was incredibly spotty (usually poor and rarely excellent) and the whole business was taking control of an artist's output out of his hands.

It was not my intention to hijack or completely derail this thread. "As a musician" because I have spent my life talking to musicians, and it's a touchy subject with a lot of folks, and I wouldn't want people bootlegging my stuff if I were trying to sell records. I simply felt a bootleg record thread should have a reminder in it and now it's getting to the point that I'm feeling forced to take an attitude. I just want to be an easygoing guy and say, "Hey, I really think you should think about this somewhat." So, no hard feelings, I'm not trying to start an argument. see you guys on another subject sometime.

No not at all, this is good conversation. :)

Hope you don't think we think your being a stickler!! We don't! Dan (2-4-7) might but not me.. :) i agree with you, and like I said I play a few instruments as well... but I've also never cut a record so what do I know!! Lol

I think the confussion is, bootleg albums are not the same as illegally ripping a CD for re-sale.

How would I know if any of my albums are bootleg? Is there a way to tell?

This is good for me because I'm learning this... in my mind I was thinking smoeone was currently pressing copy's... I know lame right? But again, I was not privy to bootlegs... and I had no clue people actually hunt for them..

Either way, I agree with you. But not due to being a musician, I agree in the fact that I collect, and when collecting I prefer an original copy. :)

I do see your point now tho, if you actually make a living from music, rightfully so.. but for most of us.... we don't.. so we will bicker over this sort of topic!! Makes for some good fun!

Thanks for responding, I really was not trying to suggest you were wrong in any way. :)

Forgive any typos, using my phone and have fat fingers and my eyesight is not the greatest..

Kind Regards,
John

Barter Town < that's here and you need to be a subscriber.
eBay
There are other site I can't think of right now, but old used bootlegs are not Illegal to sell and buy in the record collecting world.

EDIT
Local Record stores
Flea Markets
Record Shows

Let me just put this out there, no record collection is good or complete sitting behind a computer and clicking BUY. It takes work and many sources, hands on and being in the right place at the right time. Gems are gems because of the whole back story that put them in the collection. 90% of my records I never knew I was buying till I seen it.

i go to flea markets,charity shops,records stores etc. & only found 1 to 3 boots, discogs was the best place to buy them, especially the rare ones

Nothing to add except Thanks for posting the video, 14.44 minutes where I don't want my life back. Hell I was 8 years old when that was recorded. To me anyway how cool was that to get called out by Neil Young on a bootleg record.

Kinda like the Emril "BAM" what ya got son !

Back
Top Bottom