Released (Bethlehem LP) 1956
Remastered (Bethlehem Archives CD) 1999

Red Mitchell (bass)
Conte Candoli (trumpet)
Joe Maini (alto and tenor saxophones)
Hampton Hawes (piano)
Chuck Thompson (drums)

MI0002314208.jpg

It's really odd, but I've had that happen twice now -- buying a used jazz CD, and noticing later that it's been signed by the artist. One of them was only about two years old at the time. It makes you wonder who goes to the trouble to buy someone's CD at a show and get it signed and then gets rid of it in a few years.
I think I can answer this, or at least shed a clue. Not from a jazz angle, but a blues angle.
I've been to a ton of blues shows/festivals. It's really easy to get into the moment, and really dig a show. It's also really easy to see a great live act that has so-so CDs, and after listening to one a few times the 'meh' moment creeps in.
I can't see myself ever dumping a CD I bought off of the bandstand, but there are many out there who feel no need to keep 'stuff'* around that they don't use.

There's also the possibility of them being gifts. Or being bought with beer ears.:)

*the discussion of stuff, how much you have, what you do with it, and on and on seems to be a bit of a thing these days.
I get tired of it, especially the articles about it, and the hand wringing that goes on about how other people deal with it, but it's where we're at I guess.

I think I can answer this, or at least shed a clue. Not from a jazz angle, but a blues angle.
I've been to a ton of blues shows/festivals. It's really easy to get into the moment, and really dig a show. It's also really easy to see a great live act that has so-so CDs, and after listening to one a few times the 'meh' moment creeps in.
I can't see myself ever dumping a CD I bought off of the bandstand, but there are many out there who feel no need to keep 'stuff'* around that they don't use.

Those are definitely possibilities, but both of the CDs are really good: Branford Marsalis' Requiem, and Kenny Garrett's Seeds From The Underground. If you liked the show that much, it's hard to believe you'd be bored with the CD.

On a cheerier note, maybe someone died. ;)

Those are definitely possibilities, but both of the CDs are really good: Branford Marsalis' Requiem, and Kenny Garrett's Seeds From The Underground. If you liked the show that much, it's hard to believe you'd be bored with the CD.

On a cheerier note, maybe someone died. ;)
Yeah, I thought of that, but decided not to go there.
Besides, if I drop $20 on a bandstand CD, croak a couple of years later, and nobody wants the CD, I'd be happier if that money was just left to my estate.:rflmao:

Yeah, I thought of that, but decided not to go there.
Besides, if I drop $20 on a bandstand CD, croak a couple of years later, and nobody wants the CD, I'd be happier if that money was just left to my estate.:rflmao:

To chime in on this topic, I've picket up signed CDs and LPs at Estate Sales, an Al Grey CD, a couple of Art Hodes and an LP with 9+ signatures of the pre-World's Greatest Jazz Band. In addition, I just picked a signed Trummy Young LP at a record store, it was budget priced too! I know on the Al Grey one the family was glad to see the media GONE, on the Art Hodes & WGJB the estate was a local music promoter who had tons and tons of memorabilia and reel to reel tapes of concerts, posters etc. I didn't realize I was buying signed stuff until I got home. It is surprising what people let go.

EDIT: Totally forgot about the Benny Golson signed LP I picked up from a record store, no notice, no extra pricing...I managed to confirm the signature online.

Last edited:
Benny Carter Meets Oscar Peterson

I'm also going to go through my John Coltrane - The Heavyweight Champion box. Listened to disc 1 yesterday afternoon, and I'll move onto disc 2(and maybe 3) today.

I'm thinking I might rip my Complete 1961 Live At The Village Vanguard box this weekend, too. That one just doesn't get pulled off the shelf enough.

Herbie Hancock - The Piano

Cover.JPG
Source: HP dc7600 Small Form Factor PC
Player: Winamp 2.95 with 250+ band Equalizer v1.62 for Winamp by Nevi
Preamplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. PT5
Amplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. ST125.2
Speakers: KLH 9154

Back
Top Bottom