Pioneer sa-9800 vs marantz 2250b

peter24

hello guys i iust need help on which receiver i would pick! A friend of my mine is selling this 2 receivers both in excellent condition. The pioneer also comes with tx 9800 tuner. I just dont have an idea which one is better. And also both of them jave the same price at $400. Thanks

I have never been a fan of B series Marantz receivers. The SA-9800 is a good unit. Provided these have been serviced and are operating correctly, I guess you should bring your set of speakers and listen to them both and decide which fits your needs

I have never been a fan of B series Marantz receivers. The SA-9800 is a good unit. Provided these have been serviced and are operating correctly, I guess you should bring your set of speakers and listen to them both and decide which fits your needs
Thanks northwinds. yeah the pioneer really looks well built. but i guess i will demo both of em

A lot will depend on ebay sold prices. Pioneer set seems like a better deal. The Marantz 2250B is not really like the other "B" receivers. It still had the classic black dial with centrally located transformer and dual heat sinks. Later B's with the all silver face were not as neatly laid out and some details like dual core main filters were not desirable. If both pencil out, they would be nice collection starters.

The Pioneer will have those power pack outputs that are usually unobtanium. I don't know, but I suspect that the Marantz has standard transistors. I've never been a fan of the power packs, they sound cold and antiseptic. I'd go with the Marantz...and I'm a big Pioneer fan. I run a SX-850 as my daily driver, which pre-dates the power packs and also has standard output transistors.

A lot will depend on ebay sold prices. Pioneer set seems like a better deal. The Marantz 2250B is not really like the other "B" receivers. It still had the classic black dial with centrally located transformer and dual heat sinks. Later B's with the all silver face were not as neatly laid out and some details like dual core main filters were not desirable. If both pencil out, they would be nice collection starters.
I see.. is that same with the marantz 2252b?

The 2252B was a silver on silver model which didn't have the same internal layout. IMO, the 2250B is the better receiver.

For the same reasons that the SA-9500 was better than the SA-9800

I believe the SA-9800 uses "batwing" style output transistors which are discrete devices. There should be modern replacements that can be adapted for use in the SA-9800. There will be more info on this in the Pioneer forum.

upload_2017-9-14_14-11-36.png

Les.

The Pioneer will have those power pack outputs that are usually unobtanium. I don't know, but I suspect that the Marantz has standard transistors. I've never been a fan of the power packs, they sound cold and antiseptic. I'd go with the Marantz...and I'm a big Pioneer fan. I run a SX-850 as my daily driver, which pre-dates the power packs and also has standard output transistors.

No output power packs. All discrete output section.

I believe the SA-9800 uses "batwing" style output transistors which are discrete devices. There should be modern replacements that can be adapted for use in the SA-9800. There will be more info on this in the Pioneer forum.

View attachment 1004684

Les.
There are plenty of modern (improved) MT200 package transistors available from DigiKey. BTW, the so-called "batwing" style transistors are MT100 packages, like 2SB618.
2SC2912/2SA1215 would be perfectly suitable for outputs in an SA-9800.

Last edited:
Both great options in my opinion. It really would depend on what sounds better you your ears. Speaking in general terms Marantz will be warmer with a bit more midrange presence where pioneer is a tad more dynamic with a slightly recessed midrange which some can perceive as bright. Both very reliable once fully restored. What kind of speakers are you running?

The SA-9800 I'm not sure, I had a 9900 and didn't care much for its sound (restored and unrestored). I've read that the 9800 sounds better.

The tuner however, I live in a low area with hills all around, and rural so a good tuner really shines here. The TX-9800 is one of the best tuners I've had, sounds great, excellent sensitivity, and IIRC it is the only analog Pioneer tuner with the lock (where you remove your fingers from the tuning knob and it stays locked on your station). Definitely worth having if you listen to FM.

Back
Top Bottom