Make paper speakers look new?

I've just "restored" my old speakers. Well put new tweeters in and reconnected and resoldered where needed. They sound absolutely amazing. I was so pleased hat after 40 years of lugging these things around that they still sound wonderful. The paper looks old and dusty of course. Is there anyway to clean these things? Some magic out there?

When I clean untreated paper cones I usually start out by brushing them with a soft bristle brush.

After that I wipe them down with a (slightly) damp cloth.

Last edited:
This looks great but what the flip is it? say ssome sort of die

http://jbl43.com/?pid=1697280

1697280_o1.jpg

There is another thread here about using India ink. He had excellent results with no bad effects on the cones. I'm on my phone right now, so no time to find the link.

GeeDeeEmm

I am always afraid it is going to change the cone properties. I don't care to have good looking cones and lousy sound.
When I was looking for a replacement woofer for a Marantz Imperial 6 I ran across a listing with two for sale. The seller was all proud of the nice paint job he did on them to make them look like new. So sad. I wound up finding a woofer and matching tweeter. They were the early brown paper, the other has the black before they went with blue. I could care less. They sound nice and thats all that matters. The grills cover them anyway.

If they look ok after cleaning you might like the look of damar varnish applied sparingly Possibly even beneficial to the sound

Ive only used the spray version which enables a very even and fast coating

This gives the driver a wetter saturated look by glossing the paper up slightly

I used the Wet Look from Parts Express on these ancient Sansui woofers which were very badly faded and here's how they turned out. The look 100% better and if anything it tightened their bass. I wouldn't think of using anything that wasn't specifically designed to renew faded cones.

PC130020.JPG

Last edited:
I've just "restored" my old speakers. Well put new tweeters in and reconnected and resoldered where needed. They sound absolutely amazing. I was so pleased hat after 40 years of lugging these things around that they still sound wonderful. The paper looks old and dusty of course. Is there anyway to clean these things? Some magic out there?

Try a soft paintbrush to remove all the dust & dirt. You can be pretty aggressive with it around the dustcap perimeter but be careful on the dustcap itself. Some are fragile enough to dent then you have another thing to deal with. If the cones were originally black or blue/black in color but have sun-faded you can make them look factory new. I've used NGR dye stain (non grain raising). It evaporates quickly and leaves the pigment on the cone. You cannot use any stains that are water-based though as the cone will swell. Apply a little on the backside first though to see how it works and avoid getting any on a foam surround. No idea what might happen. I've only done a few this way and all used paper cones from DKM Germany. They looked like they'd never seen daylight afterwards.

I am always afraid it is going to change the cone properties. I don't care to have good looking cones and lousy sound.

That's a fair caution and for a woofer could affect sensitivity & response at the top-end, maybe a little, maybe a lot. NGR stain however leaves only the pigment which is in solution, it isn't a high solid as in paint. I believe the carrier is alcohol and it evaporates quickly leaving a dark cone. Although I did not hear anything amiss when I've done this, measurement before & after would be interesting. Put that down on the audio to-do list someday.

I used the Wet Look from Parts Express on these ancient Sansui woofers which were very badly faded and here's how they turned out. The look 100% better and if anything it tightened their bass. I wouldn't think of using anything that wasn't specifically designed to renew faded cones.

View attachment 1005147
Those look great. I will have to use It on the pair of 4 ohm 15" drivers I removed from an old Maggie console. I have the horns also. Since I will be adding some at the top for the horns, would you suggest cork for the back of the baffle? Im thinking of a 24"X36" baffle.

Back
Top Bottom