Where Does Your Dog Sleep (at Night?)

Where Does Your Dog Sleep at Night?

• Total voters

captouch

Addicted Member
My dog (2+yrs old) has always slept in the kitchen at night, but the last few nights he's been whining up a storm and I caved and let him sleep on the floor in my room.

Wondering what you all let your dogs do. Former dog owners, or dogs, are also welcome.

He likes his crate best. He does not like a soft pad. He drags them out and leaves them. So, I lined the bottom of his crate with white Italian marble. As a pup, he could not be trusted unsupervised, so we crate trained him. He got locked in when we slept, and when we were not home. He learned that the best way to live out his crated times was to sleep. His crate was NEVER used as a form of punishment. He grew to claim it as his special place, and does not like others going in there, or bothering him when he is in there. Even now that he is no longer locked in, he goes in when he sees us getting ready to go out, and we usually find him there when we get home.

Once he earned his trust, we stopped closing the crate, and it is his favorite place to sleep. Otherwise, he likes wherever the air directly hits from the air conditioner: bathroom floor (in from of the toilet), kitchen floor (in front of the trash can), and the living room in front of the main entrance.

He likes to sound the alarm frequently, but has learned not to do that when we are sleeping.

His crate is in our bedroom, at the foot of our bed. He is a big beast, so the crate is the biggest that they make. It serves also as the bedroom audio system stand. He is a Great Pyrenees and fills it up. He likes to luxuriate in there, sleeping in a sprawled, on-his-back, legs-in-the-air collection of poses, sharing his space with his "baby", a white teddy bear that he picked for himself..

CrateTrained.JPG

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
We actually originally crated him when he was a puppy to help potty train him and when he was potty trained, we left the crate open, and also had a dog bed for him. But still kept him in the kitchen to avoid him chewing on things he shouldn't. He got us back by chewing up his dog bed multiple times (I think he's torn up 4-5 and now we've stopped buying them for him). Up until recently, he seemed content to sleep in his crate, door open, with a towel inside.

I actually don't have any objection to having him in our room - it's my wife I have to persuade. She's a heavier sleeper than me and can sleep through his whining, but as I've gotten older, I'm a lighter and lighter sleeper. I'd much rather have him happy in our room and based on the couple of nights he's been in my room sleeping, he's well behaved as well.

We have two and a cat. The little MaltiPoo and cat sleep with us in bed if they wish, but the 80# Border Collie-Noofie is crated and seems fine with that.

We have to keep the dogs apart as the older little dog won't back down and the 10 year younger big dog wants to play like when they she was a pup. My wife worries that the little dig might push her luck and get her ass kicked by the big dog, probably rightfully so.

Last edited:
He likes his crate best. He does not like a soft pad. He drags them out and leaves them. So, I lined the bottom of his crate with white Italian marble. As a pup, he could not be trusted unsupervised, so we crate trained him. He got locked in when we slept, and when we were not home. He learned that the best way to live out his crated times was to sleep. Even now that he is no longer locked in, he goes in when he sees us getting ready to go out, and we usually find him there when we get home.

Once he earned his trust, we stopped closing the crate, and it is his favorite place to sleep. Otherwise, he likes wherever the air directly hits from the air conditioner: bathroom floor (in from of the toilet), kitchen floor (in front of the trash can), and the living room in front of the main entrance.

He likes to sound the alarm frequently, but has learned not to do that when we are sleeping.

His crate is in our bedroom, at the foot of our bed. He is a big beast, so the crate is the biggest that they make. It serves also as the bedroom audio system stand. He is a Great Pyrenees and fills it up. He likes to luxuriate in there, sleeping in a sprawled, on-his-back, legs-in-the-air collection of poses, sharing his space with his "baby", a white teddy bear that he picked for himself..

View attachment 1005485

Enjoy,
Rich P
Thanks for the laugh Rich I love the photo..:p

DSC02108.JPG
He likes his crate best. He does not like a soft pad. He drags them out and leaves them. So, I lined the bottom of his crate with white Italian marble. As a pup, he could not be trusted unsupervised, so we crate trained him. He got locked in when we slept, and when we were not home. He learned that the best way to live out his crated times was to sleep. His crate was NEVER used as a form of punishment. He grew to claim it as his special place, and does not like others going in there, or bothering him when he is in there. Even now that he is no longer locked in, he goes in when he sees us getting ready to go out, and we usually find him there when we get home.

View attachment 1005485

Enjoy,
Rich P
I have a 10 1/2 year old Great Pyrenees. Great dogs by the way. She sleeps in our bedroom. She used to love her extra large crate until she got too big for it.

View attachment 1005485

Enjoy,
Rich P

It's funny, you can't tell that's a big dog in the picture you posted. All I can tell is that he's very content. . .:trebon:

Because he feels safe and love, how would you like your wife putting you out of the room...:(

:banana:

Well, you never know. If I insist on sleeping with the dog in the room, I may have to take the pup and head on into the guestroom. o_O

View attachment 1005510
I have a 10 1/2 year old Great Pyrenees. Great dogs by the way. She sleeps in our bedroom. She used to love her extra large crate until she got too big for it.
Cherokee is only 3, so he is built like a teenager. I think he may outgrow his crate too, when he decides to beef up. He is amazingly strong-willed, and hated his crate initially. It took 6 months of living hell, with my wife at the crate training helm. She tried all the modern, naval-contemplating methods, to no avail. He spent the entire night, every night, whining, and throwing himself against the walls, and slept all day to prepare for the next night of fun.

Finally, I took the reigns, and had him crate-trained in 24 hours. I knew that, if he ever experienced a luxurious, real sleep in there, I would have him. I turned the house into Guantanamo Bay, and used sleep deprivation on him. I had my wife play him out, for a long time, and would not let him sleep, banging pots and pans, and crying "No Sleep! No sleep!" when he tried, with all kinds of sleepus interruptus. Finally, as he tried to nod off at my feet in my lab, several times, I leaned over and told him, " You know? You can sleep whenever you want to...long luxurious, wonderful sleep. But you have to sleep in your bed." You know what? He padded off to his bed, which he would never enter on his own volition, and he laid down and went right off to sleep. I closed him in and he did not care. He slept through the rest of the dark morning.

The next day, I was exhausted, as usual. I laid down across the end of the bed, parallel to his bed, and he padded in and laid down and went to sleep. Before he exited, he had rolled over in his belly-up, luxuriating sleep pose, and I knew I had him. From that moment, he was crate trained. My wife had tried everything from sleeping in there with him (trying to), to yelling, to sitting on him, rewards, pleadings, and all kinds of things. I had him in 1 day...{pats self on the back.}

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
I don't have a great story. My 3 doxies sleep in a crate in my bedroom. A treat will get them rushing in there except for Sparky, the brown one, 20170614_115041.jpg who seems to know a trick when he sees one. He'll come but in no hurry. We also have a crate in the living room that they go to when we go out.

Question is not where the dog sleeps but how do you kick a dog out of the bed? :)
I usually need to kick and nudge her out of the way so that I can stretch. She is a smaller mixed breed rescued from a shelter.

Besides, here is a convincing article as to why one should let your dog sleep with you. :bigok:

Here’s Why Sleeping With Your Dog Is Actually Good For You

Good news, dog lovers: Letting your four-legged friend into the bedroom does not worsen your sleep, according to a new Mayo Clinic study—and it may actually help you rest easier. But before you cuddle up too close, know this: Researchers still caution against snoozing in the same bed.

For now we are ignoring the same bed part.

http://time.com/4934422/dog-bedroom-sleep/

Back
Top Bottom