What Artist passing affected you the most

Chris Squire. He was the heart of Yes and it was like that link to my past was severed.

The remaining band can never truly be Yes, to me, without Squire.

Me too. I knew with Chris Squire gone, there wouldn't be a true YES left behind. Squire was such a huge presence in the band, physically, creatively, and emotionally. There's no replacing him! Plus, I was looking forward to some type of (re)union with the band, when they were inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame. And then Squire passed before that could happen. So, I was sad for that, and sad that I wouldn't see YES perform together again, in what would probably be the last time, in a configuration that resembled YES of old. Just a shame he's gone! R.I.P. Fish.

What a monster bass player!

RichardEAaron-630x420.jpg

Last edited:
Alvin Lee
There are so many more, but I really enjoyed seeing Alvin Lee in concert.

The recent passing of Chris Cornell (Audioslave, Soundgarden, solo artist) really hit hard. I had been listening to him throughout most of his career and enjoyed his solo work immensely. His passing was way too soon.

When Mark Knopfler passes I will be totally devastated...

The recent passing of Chris Cornell (Audioslave, Soundgarden, solo artist) really hit hard. I had been listening to him throughout most of his career and enjoyed his solo work immensely. His passing was way too soon.

Yeah ,that one was like what the hell.

Me too. I knew with Chris Squire gone, there wouldn't be a true YES left behind. Squire was such a huge presence in the band, physically, creatively, and emotionally. There's no replacing him! Plus, I was looking forward to some type of (re)union with the band, when they were inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame. And then Squire passed before that could happen. So, I was sad for that, and sad that I wouldn't see YES perform together again, in what would probably be the last time, in a configuration that resembled YES of old. Just a shame he's gone! R.I.P. Fish.

What a monster bass player!

I completely get that. For me it was a tossup between him and Greg Lake. I really liked Lake's work with King Crimson and later with ELP.
Lake said something once about the two of them: “I used to live with Chris Squire, in a flat in London,” Lake says. “People used to think that Yes and ELP were always at each other’s throats. But it’s not true. We sort of had a friendly rivalry. They used to call us ‘Henderson, Snake and Charmer,’ and we used to call them ‘Maybe.' … I’m very close to Chris, and I’ve known him all my life.”

I completely get that. For me it was a tossup between him and Greg Lake. I really liked Lake's work with King Crimson and later with ELP.
Lake said something once about the two of them: “I used to live with Chris Squire, in a flat in London,” Lake says. “People used to think that Yes and ELP were always at each other’s throats. But it’s not true. We sort of had a friendly rivalry. They used to call us ‘Henderson, Snake and Charmer,’ and we used to call them ‘Maybe.' … I’m very close to Chris, and I’ve known him all my life.”

I feel for you too. ELP was one of my early band memories; a band that my brother played for me. It was Lucky Man. Wow. What a great song. And more ELP actually lead to a love of classical music, which has lasted to this day.

Also, Greg Lake and John Wetton both gone. Both within a few weeks of each other. Two big hits there. Sux.

Oh yea, I love that Greg Lake, Chris Squire story. Funny and interesting. Thanks for sharing.

John Lennon and there is no second place.

The Beatles were a huge influence on me. Lennon was killed when I was in college, living on campus and deeply involved in the typical things young college men would have been at the time.

Back then I had the time and the passion to let this bother me, and it did.

God, there are so many.
Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
Layne Staley (Alice In Chains)
Merle Haggard
Glen Campbell (just yesterday)
Scott Weiland
Nick Menza (Megadeth)
Chris Cornell

I could go on for awhile, but losing my rock and roll hero Lemmy really sucked. Yeah he was 70, but he was my guy.
Here, here.
May I add Waylon Jennings and Johnny Cash?

Back
Top Bottom