It's Beautiful!!!! But for $1000

Oh I know - I've seen it. But even at a retailer two years ago, I saw an Empire for $400 I think. $1000 seems steep!

That is the last Empire model. If the headshell insert is good [I believe that an ebayer in California makes a quality replacement], the end-of-record lift works and the gold finish is still attractive, then $1,000 Canadian is more than a fair price.

This is bound for Dollars & Sense. ;)

But, I did sell a Troubadour 598 III a few years ago for $750.

Last edited:
They are a stunningly beautiful turntable. The piece that holds the head shell on the tonearm is the weakest link. Mine was broken when I bought it and I had to graft a 4 pin plug onto the tonearm .

Isn't the price of this Troubadour commensurate with an antique vintage quality item that belongs in a museum ;-)

Just teasing........ !

I used to have one, and I'd certainly consider it worth that in the condition it appears to be in, especially if the often-fussy electronic cueing controls work.

It is worth exactly what you pay for it and not a penny more.
If the "gold" coating is in good shape it may be an anomolie. The one I had was all pitted and ugly when I got rid of it.
Over time moisture affected it.

Saw a Linn LP12 turntable on CL tonight... also very attractive. $1595 US. I haven't done vinyl in years so all this is sticker shock to me.

The 698 is a very nice turntable. I’ve owned one for the last 6 years and as was mentioned before, the plastic headshell mount is very delicate and tends to break off easily. When that happens, you are facing either a difficult repair or a tonearm replacement. While this looks like an excellent example, $1000 CAD sounds more like an eBay price to me.

Back
Top Bottom