Fisher Futura II F-210 - 1959

jonboy55

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I saw a Fisher Futura II F-210 a few days ago but was unable to buy it.

They wanted too much money.

It had the Modern cabinet that was in nice condition. It contained the X-1000 amplifier, 4000-R tuner, and the Garrard RC-88 record changer.

IMG_2745.JPG IMG_2747.JPG IMG_2748.JPG IMG_2749.JPG

Wait a while and you may get it at a lower cost. Not many people want a console model. Many would want just the internal parts.
Joe

The guy selling it is the type to wait it out. Also, the X-1000 amplifier is the version with EL-84's and not the EL-34's.

It's a beautiful piece of equipment.

But nowhere worth close to $1500. Not even half that amount even if it had the better version of the X-1000 amplifier.

If it was under $895 (MSRP), it would be in my shop undergoing a restoration now.

I don't know how much is too much. These deserve the kind of pricing that pushes the envelope. That sucker is beautiful. Who cares about overspending a few bucks, when you have the opportunity to buy something like this.

Questions that make me open my wallet :

When was the last time a 1959 Futura came up for sale near you (or me) ?
When was the last time 20 Fisher tube watts of power was seen wrapped in such wonderful looking walnut (or mahogany) beauty?
When will you get the chance to be the steward of such marvelous craftsmanship again?

Answer: NEVER

Quit thinking about current ebay sales, or Scores, or how much you want a great deal... Think about how killer it would look in your living room, who cares how much it is!

It's a beautiful piece of equipment.

But nowhere worth close to $1500. Not even half that amount even if it had the better version of the X-1000 amplifier.

We just posted at the same time. 1500... that does make a person take pause. Has it already been recapped, restored, etc?

Did you sum up the parts for him? F it, I'd do it!

Biscuit. No way in hell would that Futura beat out his '64 President, that he and TheRed1 drove to Mo. over a weekend and back to NY State to get! But it would be a Hard sell against my '63 Executive, even if it(my '63) is Italian Provincial. That 's the 2nd one in 2 years I've seen a Futura of that age. The 1st one was about 150 miles south of me in Va.

This guy is DREAMING, Big time. Maybe to someone in China or Japan it's worth $1.5K, but I don't think so in the states.

Aw hell, go for a 70's BSR!
My '65 Electra had the Elac in it, and it was the best factory "console" turntable I ever had. I sold the Electra because someone offered me a crazy number for it. You know what I did with the money... because I sure don't. If I could buy it back for an added hundred I would. I have come around to a different way of thinking, when it comes to the value of the stuff you enjoy. Money is good, but Fishers are better!

The guy selling it is the type to wait it out. Also, the X-1000 amplifier is the version with EL-84's and not the EL-34's.

The Fisher EL-84 amp is delicious. No its not the big-money Fisher 1000, but a good EL-84 has the delicacy and finesse of liquid honey. Mmm, mmm...

Both my 65' Futura and 65 Electra came with Elac 10's. I put a 50H in the Electra and the Futura. Kept both the 10's and their wood baseplates in plastic bags in the speaker compartments. So if I ever sell them I'll put the 10's back in, unless it's one of the Grand-kids then they get what's running and the 10's.

If it was under $895 (MSRP), it would be in my shop undergoing a restoration now.

I don't know how much is too much. These deserve the kind of pricing that pushes the envelope. That sucker is beautiful. Who cares about overspending a few bucks, when you have the opportunity to buy something like this.

Questions that make me open my wallet :

When was the last time a 1959 Futura came up for sale near you (or me) ?
When was the last time 20 Fisher tube watts of power was seen wrapped in such wonderful looking walnut (or mahogany) beauty?
When will you get the chance to be the steward of such marvelous craftsmanship again?

Answer: NEVER

Quit thinking about current ebay sales, or Scores, or how much you want a great deal... Think about how killer it would look in your living room, who cares how much it is!

It's a tough situation. I've known the seller for many years and he mainly deals with antique and vintage radios. He originally thought it was a 1962 model. He said just take a look at www.fisherconsoles.com! I pulled up the fisher console web site on my phone and explained what he really had. Now even though I've known him for a long time, I nicely explained to him that I own www.fisherconsoles.com so I have some idea of the value. He claimed that he was already offered $1000.00 but turned it down.

But I'll tell you, it was one HOT HOT console!!

By the way, I saw it at the Kutztown, PA radio meet this past weekend. If anyone hasn't been to the Kutztown radio meet about 400 people show up between the buyers and sellers. They have a radio meet every May and September. I saw at least 10 to 15 pieces of Fisher equipment there that was torn out of consoles. It doesn't make me happy but there isn't anything I can do about it. A few years ago I saw a Lincoln turntable at the Kutztown radio meet.

Also, it was completely untested. I've purchased consoles in the past where the something was really messed up. One time I purchased a console where the the speaker cones were blown out. Another time I purchased an untested console and the amp had a bad power transformer.

The seller is in no rush to sell it so let keep it for a while.

In any event, on the way home from PA to NY I stopped in NJ and picked up a 1964 Fisher Futura V F-59 in a French Provincial cabinet. That's the one with the tube tuner and hybrid amp with 3 tubes and transistors. The guy said it belonged to his mom and unless someone took it he was going to bring it to the dump. I normally don't take the later consoles but I didn't want it thrown in the dump. We had to carry it down from the second floor of a garden apartment building - it must have weighed 200 pounds. It's still sitting in the wagon so I can't post any photos until I have someone help me take it out. It's not the prettiest and I would have been much happier if it had been the modern cabinet. But he gave it to me for free.

I also picked up the Fisher Sound Panel speaker at the radio meet.

But as I say "you can't always get what you want".

Last edited:
Jon. If you get around to working on the Amp, The 64 ambassador used the same tuner and Amp. Actually the Hybrids are pretty good sounding, but the speakers on them are the weak spot.

I missed the show this year. Kinda sorry now...

I think 1500 is,a bit steep for that as well. I'd have to really, really want it. Half that I could see-and that's stretching it a bit.

It's a tough situation. I've known the seller for many years and he mainly deals with antique and vintage radios. He originally thought it was a 1962 model. He said just take a look at www.fisherconsoles.com! I pulled up the fisher console web site on my phone and explained what he really had. Now even though I've known him for a long time, I nicely explained to him that I own www.fisherconsoles.com so I have some idea of the value. He claimed that he was already offered $1000.00 but turned it down.

But I'll tell you, it was one HOT HOT console!!

By the way, I saw it at the Kutztown, PA radio meet this past weekend. If anyone hasn't been to the Kutztown radio meet about 400 people show up between the buyers and sellers. They have a radio meet every May and September. I saw at least 10 to 15 pieces of Fisher equipment there that was torn out of consoles. It doesn't make me happy but there isn't anything I can do about it. A few years ago I saw a Lincoln turntable at the Kutztown radio meet.

Also, it was completely untested. I've purchased consoles in the past where the something was really messed up. One time I purchased a console where the the speaker cones were blown out. Another time I purchased an untested console and the amp had a bad power transformer.

The seller is in no rush to sell it so let keep it for a while.

In any event, on the way home from PA to NY I stopped in NJ and picked up a 1964 Fisher Futura V F-59 in a French Provincial cabinet. That's the one with the tube tuner and hybrid amp with 3 tubes and transistors. The guy said it belonged to his mom and unless someone took it he was going to bring it to the dump. I normally don't take the later consoles but I didn't want it thrown in the dump. We had to carry it down from the second floor of a garden apartment building - it must have weighed 200 pounds. It's still sitting in the wagon so I can't post any photos until I have someone help me take it out. It's not the prettiest and I would have been much happier if it had been the modern cabinet. But he gave it to me for free.

I also picked up the Fisher Sound Panel speaker at the radio meet.

But as I say "you can't always get what you want".

I have a '65 Futura ! Its the Walnut modern with the 690a. It is in the garage unrestored... but I'll get to it soon. My Coronet is a Provincial, and it is my least favorite style... but it sounds wonderful.
Sounds like you know your stuff.
In my neck-o-da-woods, I see a Fisher Console about once every 3-4 years, so when I do, I just buy it.
I hope it becomes yours at some point. Maybe fix the other up and use the proceeds to help offset the high price?

Biscuit. Your '65's amp is a 59A and the tuner is a 59T. I've got the exact same unit. Good Sounding, but a little shy in bass. It could do with some speaker replacements to boost the bass a little. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/fisher-futura-vi-followed-me-home-ma.249012/ & http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/rehabbing-my-futura-vi-cabinet.312105/ All the pics are on photobucket for the time being, but plan on putting them here and updating the threads as needed. http://s408.photobucket.com/user/torskdoc/library/FISHER F590W FUTURA VI?sort=3&page=1

Just wanted to let everyone know that the photographs of the F-210 in my first post in this thread are posted on the Fisher Console web site. On the Fisher Console web site we have mostly illustrations of the various consoles and post photographs when someone sends them into us. I don't just take photographs off of other web sites and post them (at least I don't remember doing so). Photographs of the actual console will give the visitor to the web site an actual view of the console that the illustrations don't. If anyone wants to donate photographs of their console to post on the web site we will be happy to say who donated them and with their name, email, etc. if they want to us too. It's the choice of the person who donates the photograph(s). We don't make money off the web site and all the service manuals and owners manuals are available for free downloading. The manuals have either been donated by collectors or by myself. Sometimes I've purchased manuals just to place them on the web site. The only way I benefit from the web site is if someone contacts me and asks if I'm interested in buying a console or as the other day when they just want to get rid of it.

Also, if you have a Fisher Console that is not listed on the web site let us know and we will make a listing for it and if you request we will say who donated the information.

By the last count, we have listed 73 Console service manuals, 28 owners manuals, 3 schematics (when the service manual is not available), 129 owners manuals and service manuals for separate Fisher components, and a couple of Fisher brochures and catalogs. Again, all for free downloading.

Some of the manuals we listed are for non Fisher components that have been used in Fisher Consoles such as Webster or Garrard turntables.

By the way, there is a person who copied most of the service manuals and owners manuals from the Fisher Consoles web site a few years ago and made 2 CD's and is selling it on ebay. One CD is for the consoles and the other is for the separate components. I am not that person.

I will probably re-post this message on the Fisher Consoles sticky.

Back
Top Bottom