Sansui TOTL Speakers SP-5000 and SP-5500 Side By Side?

My latest haul. A pair of SP-5500 stored since the Vietnam War era. Lot's of mouse droppings all inside the one shredded box.
Some staining (see second pic) but basically a nice pair of SP-5500. Just need recapping. They're out there. Not always cheap. But they're available.

fullsizeoutput_1422.jpeg _AB20671.JPG

Last edited:
I'd like some help from an sp5500 owner if anyone would be willing to take the time, it's not a small task I'm asking because you'd almost have to if not completely have to dismantle one of your 5500s to help me, I have a set of 5500 components that I've purchased I'll be getting within the next couple weeks and I want to build a factory spec cabinet for them, everyone who frequents this post knows the rarity of 5000/5500 speakers and finding specifications such as that even on a way more common 2500 would be impossible without the cabinet right in front of you, especially the dimensions of the internal braces and bracing blocks, I could make a cabinet that "fit" the drivers no problem and it would be close but not close enough to be an actual 5500, I'd be using correct materials as well so thickness of all pieces would be needed to including the internal absorption fabric and all dimensions of routed edges as well, I'd be documenting the process of this as it went but with life being so hectic I don't see it being a quick project nor would I want it to be, after the fact I'd like to invest in some walnut burl veneer and make this thing pop like never it never could before it was dismantled, the other issue is the grill it's an impossible "part" to find and I'd spend forty years trying to carve a kumiko grill by hand, if anyone knows how to make them or someone who does that info would be appreciated, I'm asking a hell of alot out of someone if anyone is up for this please do reply and by no means do you have to rush I'll be taking my time to acquire the materials and do it perfectly so I'll need in the neighborhood of 200-300 in materials first off, the only part I'm throwing around changing is the build of the factory stands, I ripped the ones off my 5000s they had served their duty and were way worn the speakers look way more hefty without the lady legs on them

Honestly I'm not even going to think about how hard the work you're talking about is going to be. I think the grills, especially these curved ones, would take a life time of skill to produce. I say keep your eyes peeled. I've seen four pairs of 5500 and three pairs of 5000 in the last six months. I bought all the 5000s and one pair of 5500.

Officially in the club! I found these 5000's on Letgo for a mere $40! To say they were dirty would be an understatement, but an hour or so of cleaning and a rub-down with Old English Lemon Oil brought them back to life. I am not looking to recap, they sounded good to my ears, pushed by my Sansui 771 with very little distortion at high volume. It's hard to grasp how massive these speakers are until you own a pair!

BTW...I am just getting my feet wet in this hobby, and AK has been a wealth of knowledge. Thanks to the Community for unselfishly sharing knowledge and experience with us neophytes!
5000-2.jpg 5000-3.jpg

Officially in the club! I found these 5000's on Letgo for a mere $40! To say they were dirty would be an understatement, but an hour or so of cleaning and a rub-down with Old English Lemon Oil brought them back to life. I am not looking to recap, they sounded good to my ears, pushed by my Sansui 771 with very little distortion at high volume. It's hard to grasp how massive these speakers are until you own a pair!

BTW...I am just getting my feet wet in this hobby, and AK has been a wealth of knowledge. Thanks to the Community for unselfishly sharing knowledge and experience with us neophytes!
View attachment 1007076 View attachment 1007077
Nice job Airjmax, welcome to the club and to AK.

Please post serial numbers for the database. We only have one pair of SP-5000s and two pair of 5500's on file.

- Pete

Thanks guys. nikmills, I like the /2 in your avatar. Looks like about a '68? I have an R69S collecting dust.

- Pete

Nice. The 69S is the elite model. Mine is a 1969 R50US. US model with telescoping forks. Rare. Only 70 produced that year.
I don't use mine much. Starts on the first kick. Video here. I'm selling it if anyone is interested.

I am not looking to recap, they sounded good to my ears, pushed by my Sansui 771 with very little distortion at high volume.

First, welcome aboard!!!

Second, as good as they sound now, just WAIT until those tired, dried up, out of spec electrolytics are replaced with modern poly caps.

I wouldn't say this if I wasn't certain that everything you love will only improve. Nothing boutique needed, just get some Dayton 5% caps, as they spec out to 2 or 3%, and I defy ANYONE to hear a difference between Dayton5% and Dayton 1%. Maybe someone can hear it, I certainly cannot. But I most definitely hear a difference in old caps out of spec, and new ones.

Impossibly great score, and great job with the cleanup.

I’ve just managed to snag 2 pairs of SP-5500s for a whopping $40. Reading here it sounds like I’ll need to take the truck instead of the SUV to pick them up.

Damn, that's a score.

That’s good to hear. Sometimes this forum can make it seem like everyone’s finding rare JBL speakers for $10.

These things are pretty huge, at least as far as everyday floor standing speakers go. VERY glad I took the truck! I currently have no idea how they sound and will hook them up tomorrow.

Do yourself a favor, and plan on recapping. Those old electrolytics are likely far out of spec, and new Dayton 5% polys will allow those speakers to sound their best.

In the SP-5000 club now !! Just bought a set of SP-5000 from member Bravo30. Will post pictures soon. Im going to listen to them later with my Sansui 9090db at some high levels :) and see how they sound. Im going to recap them, just to do it (they may need it) and I've searched the forum and cant find any info on recapping these (parts list). Anyone who has done it, please let me know what caps to order. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom