Weekly Estate and Garage sale finds (pics)

I've been passing up on gear if I don't need it lately, but today I found a Sony TA-2650 amp and a Pioneer TX-9800 at the dump, since it was about to rain I saved them (I would have even if it wasn't going to rain). They both cleaned up well but will get a more through cleaning when I get a chance.
P1010358.jpg

hard to go wrong with Polks for what a cup of coffee can cost
check for magnet shift/VC rub if none, epoxy them up
and I don't believe that's where the name badges originally went, all I've seen/owned had em on the grill

Enjoy em
Is it possible that they are not 5s?
I'm not too knowledgeable on vintage Polk. I just googled them and got as close as I could.

I've been passing up on gear if I don't need it lately, but today I found a Sony TA-2650 amp and a Pioneer TX-9800 at the dump, since it was about to rain I saved them (I would have even if it wasn't going to rain). They both cleaned up well but will get a more through cleaning when I get a chance.

Very nice pair, great find.

You checked continuity at the tweeter terminals? Could it be caps or that pot?
Yeah,I checked the continuity and the tweeter was dead.

Also,I swapped the tweeters from cabinet to cabinet and the pot and caps were not the the issue. :(

l

look like 5s to me
Should say on the back sticker, where serial number is
Might be 5Jrs

Either way, good pickup
Not Monitor 5 Juniors, they are original Monitor 5's, badges were mounted on bottom rail of cabinet, later versions the badges were moved onto the grills.

Not Monitor 5 Juniors, they are original Monitor 5's, badges were mounted on bottom rail of cabinet, later versions the badges were moved onto the grills.
learn something new every day, every pair of polks I've owned, going back to original purchase in 1977 had badges on the grills

Don't want to hijack ... don't want to start a new thread.
Ok I'm a nob.
All these Estate Sales has got me interested so I have 2 questions:

1.) Is it common to contact the people putting on the sale asking them what an item is priced at ahead of time?
2.) Is it common to ask to test something like stereo equipment or is it sight unseen? Just a visual look at it and take a chance?

Pretty sure I know the answer to both. I see something I like but it is 2 hours away. Thanks!!

Answer to #1: yes it is common for people to contact the sellers beforehand. The question is whether or not it is welcome or wanted.

Answer to #2: you can ask to test something, but it's not usually feasible. Be prepared to bring whatever gear you might need to make it happen (an extension cord, speaker wires, speakers, amps, records, etc.).

Answer to #1: yes it is common for people to contact the sellers beforehand. The question is whether or not it is welcome or wanted.

Answer to #2: you can ask to test something, but it's not usually feasible. Be prepared to bring whatever gear you might need to make it happen (an extension cord, speaker wires, speakers, amps, records, etc.).

Second this post!

If it's something obviously good, you will need to be first in line...

Don't want to hijack ... don't want to start a new thread.
Ok I'm a nob.
All these Estate Sales has got me interested so I have 2 questions:

1.) Is it common to contact the people putting on the sale asking them what an item is priced at ahead of time?
2.) Is it common to ask to test something like stereo equipment or is it sight unseen? Just a visual look at it and take a chance?

Pretty sure I know the answer to both. I see something I like but it is 2 hours away. Thanks!!

1) If it is being done by a commercial estate sale company, they do not normally take any questions and definitely will not give out prices ahead of time. If it is being run by someone personally, such as family then you can have a good shot at an answer.

2) It isn't that common and pricing should reflect that it is an "as is" "where is" sale. As noted, it isn't usually that feasible. And as suggested, if you show up with the gear to test you may be able to plug it in and see how it goes but the time that takes anything else you are interested in may be snagged. If someone is with you, make a pile for them to guard, then test after the initial snagging frenzy.

Back
Top Bottom