AXStv, continuing to impress!

Hajidub

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've found myself lately recording everything music off of AXStv channel: Rock Legends, Classic Albums, The Big Interview, concerts and Artist documentaries (last night was SRV). I'm not asking my DVR for "new", I'm recording them ALL. I filter through the shows if I'm not interested in the artists or group, but otherwise its nightly viewing fun!

Last night I realized why this is so much fun for me. I'm not always in the mood to sit in my stereo room, drink a beer, surf the web. On days when that isn't on the menu, AXS provides the perfect alternative music enjoyment venue, while opening my eyes to new artists (or music I wouldn't listen to), eventually setting up my lineup for my next stereo room interlude.

I agree, AXS shows some great stuff! I could easily fill up my DVR and all my viewing time if I let it. I love the Dan Rather interviews too and several of them have been musicians like Jack White and Sammy Hagar. Good Stuff!

I agree, AXS shows some great stuff! I could easily fill up my DVR and all my viewing time if I let it. I love the Dan Rather interviews too and several of them have been musicians like Jack White and Sammy Hagar. Good Stuff!

Rather's interview with Gregg Allman was pretty interesting, I thought. I've recorded a few concerts on there already and have watched a couple of them so far. Recently, they had the film about the last Cream concert and the Classic Albums series covered Disraeli Gears. Overall, pretty well done.

Recently acquired this channel when switching over to FIOS, always worth stopping at. Last night they analyzed The Band's debut album. Broke down the aspects of the songs via the mixing board, which I found very interesting. Interviews with various members, producers and contemporaries, such as George Harrison & Eric Clapton. Very worthwhile for fans of The Band.
Next up was a film of a fundraiser to keep Levon Helm's legacy venue up and running, with Warren Haynes, Gregg Allman, Dierks Bentley etc. Above average programming for music fans.

Been diggin' this AXS channel, two shows I watched were Paul Simon's Graceland & Meatloaf Bat Out Of Hell both enjoyable. Also two concert videos, Yes 35th Anniversary & an ELP concert. While easy to dismiss prog rock as overbloated, somewhat deserved, it is hard to argue that most of these players were very talented. Yes in particular sounded great.

I forgot about this one!!!

I was thinking a while ago of starting a AXStv alert thread, kinda like the what are you listening to music threads.

In my top 3 best channels on TV right now, but does fit the AK stereotype (when not listening to music, watch shows about music).

In my top 3 best channels on TV right now, but does fit the AK stereotype (when not listening to music, watch shows about music).

Well my TV is hooked up to my 2ch main system and goes though that DAC as well as a 27" iMac

Good stuff - tho I had to turn off the Dan rather interviews since there is a lot of them
and they were filling my DVR up too fast (HD mode on a 3TB drive).
And yes, the Classic Album show is great - love it when they have the multitrack studio recordings and can pot up or down individual parts of the song!

FWIW - I have AXS-TV tied to a 7.1 system ...
tho TV shows never really go past 5.1, some of my Blurays do ...

Last edited:
Good stuff - tho I had to turn off the Dan rather interviews since there is a lot of them
and they were filling my DVR up too fast (HD mode on a 3TB drive).
And yes, the Classic Album show is great - love it when they have the multitrack studio recordings
and can pot up or down individual parts of the song!

Haaaa! One of my favorite parts of Classic Albums!

Recently acquired this channel when switching over to FIOS, always worth stopping at. Last night they analyzed The Band's debut album. Broke down the aspects of the songs via the mixing board, which I found very interesting. Interviews with various members, producers and contemporaries, such as George Harrison & Eric Clapton. Very worthwhile for fans of The Band.

Weren't these shows on DVD?

I remember there was one about Pink Floyd's DSOTM, in which the late Richard Wright mentioned how Miles Davis inspired him to come up with certain music passages on the album.

The DSOTM was on last night as a matter of fact, recorded in 2003. Caught a good portion of it, very interesting insights into the recording process as well as the song writing. Too bad half of them are gone and the rest don't get along.

Bryan Setzer was on The Big Interview tonight.
I smiled a lot. Seems to be a good dude.
Dan did a nice job.

Dan Arather did a great interview with Kid Rock. I also enjoyed watching The Who concert they showed a couple months ago

Sure is a lot better than the Glastonbury channel MTVL, formerly known as Palladia.
Well, I do have our TIVO set to record Jooles Holland's show - seems to be mostly reruns but last night we watched a 2015 show with James Taylor and Florence and her machine that was pretty good - nice horn section! The rest of MTV programming can go Pound Sand!

I agree Heather. MTV is definitely not what it used to be. Used to be music videos, now just stupid reality show

I enjoy Dan Rathernots interviews. He really does a great job on them. In his 80s so he must enjoy them or maybe hiding from the wife?

Back
Top Bottom