ADS-910's

I wish I lived closer so I could have attended the NY metro gathering. It sound like a good time.
Glenn, l'm looking forward to your report on if there are any changes in sonics with the newer or different crossovers. I've been thinking about upgrading the 100 uf non polar electrolytic caps on my 910's

Last edited:
I wish I lived closer so I could have attended the NY metro gathering. It sound like a good time.
Glenn, l'm looking forward to your report on if there are any changes in sonics with the newer or different crossovers. I've been thinking about upgrading the 100 uf non polar electrolytic caps on my 910's
Hey Curt!
It would have been great to meet you and hang out and listen to some great systems. Any AK gatherings out your way?
I'll share my observations once everything is back in place and set up.
Glenn

Hey Curt!
It would have been great to meet you and hang out and listen to some great systems. Any AK gatherings out your way?
I'll share my observations once everything is back in place and set up.
Glenn

Hi Glenn. I have not heard of any AK gatherings in the Portland / Salem Oregon area recently.
I'm still enjoying the 910's. Curt

It's how we got started. Now folks drag over some chunk of gear to the host rig and we get to hear different stuff.

So I did a preliminary listen with the recapped crossovers I bought, and I have to say......

They sound just about the same! So, I guess this shows us that the original caps ADS used were very good.
I'll give them a workout this Saturday morning once my wife is out of the house and see for sure.

In a way, I'm disappointed, hoping for that OH WOW improvement, on the other hand, glad to know my originals are good. I don't regret buying the recapped crossovers, as I have extras just in case down the road.

Who would part out a pair of 910? :confused:
Mike had a set that had incorrect woofers, and he just didn't want to deal with them. Finding 4 correct woofers, possibly needing Richard So's services, restoring the cabs, he just didn't want to put the time or money into a project like that. So I grabbed the crossovers and grills, which are in much better shape than my originals.

Well there you go! Time to start something going in your area!

I'd be happy to show off my 910's to anyone interested in the Salem / Portland Oregon area.

Hey Glenn. Do your new crossovers still have the non polar electrolytic for the 100 uf caps?
The reason I ask is, I was thinking of trying metallized polypropylenes but it seems I read somewhere that I wouldn't be able to hear a audio improvement. At least in the 100 uf cap position.

Last edited:
Mike had a set that had incorrect woofers, and he just didn't want to deal with them. Finding 4 correct woofers, possibly needing Richard So's services, restoring the cabs, he just didn't want to put the time or money into a project like that. So I grabbed the crossovers and grills, which are in much better shape than my originals.

....And I got the mids - thanks Mike!

Cheers,

David

I'd be happy to show off my 910's to anyone interested in the Salem / Portland Oregon area.

Hey Glenn. Do your new crossovers still have the non polar electrolytic for the 100 uf caps?
The reason I ask is, I was thinking of trying metallized polypropylenes but it seems I read somewhere that I wouldn't be able to hear a audio improvement. At least in the 100 uf cap position.
Well, from my brief listening time last night, and listening now, though at low volume, I cant really hear any difference.
The recapped crossovers do have the 100uf's on them. BTW, they are 90uf's on my originals.
Glenn

should have just given you the speakers and let you have a nice project to keep your mind active during the winter....lol
That thought crossed my mind, briefly! These are BIG speakers, and I just don't have the room for a 2nd pair. Now a pair of 1590's I could work with because of the smaller footprint tower design.

I only changed the 90uf cap on my xovers. I wonder if I need to replace any of the other caps. They sound great though!
If they sound great, I'd leave them as they are. I'm going to put my originals back in and keep these as backups.

I only changed the 90uf cap on my xovers. I wonder if I need to replace any of the other caps. They sound great though!
The ONLY capacitor that should really be changed on the 910's is the 90uF/100uF bi-polar electrolytic. I'm just being honest here, the HUGE metallized polypropylene caps with the loooooong wires that the person with barely a clue installed on Glenn's crossovers in place of these is absolutely ridiculous. All the other metallized polypropylenes shoe horned in are also very unnecessary IMNSHO.

The ONLY capacitor that should really be changed on the 910's is the 90uF/100uF bi-polar electrolytic. I'm just being honest here, the HUGE metallized polypropylene caps with the loooooong wires that the person with barely a clue installed on Glenn's crossovers in place of these is absolutely ridiculous. All the other metallized polypropylenes shoe horned in are also very unnecessary IMNSHO.

So I guess that answers my question. I should stick with a bi polar electrolytic for the 90uf / 100 uf cap replacement.
I'm pretty sure Ricard So recommended to me to usie two bi polar 50uf to replace my 100uf. I wouldn't want to try and quote Richards reasoning for using two half value caps instead of the one. Does any one else have a opinion on this?

So I guess that answers my question. I should stick with a bi polar electrolytic for the 90uf / 100 uf cap replacement.
I'm pretty sure Ricard So recommended to me to usie two bi polar 50uf to replace my 100uf. I wouldn't want to try and quote Richards reasoning for using two half value caps instead of the one. Does any one else have a opinion on this?
Everything I've read on AK also says just replace the electrolytic, leave the rest. There's also been those that have done complete recaps and stated they sounded noticeably better. Anyway, I bought these for two reasons. One to see if in fact there was a marked improvement, and two, to have a spare set if I ever need them. So the first reason was nullified, I didn't hear any difference. So now I have spares if ever needed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom