Fisher Futura II F-210 - 1959

Biscuit. Your '65's amp is a 59A and the tuner is a 59T. I've got the exact same unit. Good Sounding, but a little shy in bass. It could do with some speaker replacements to boost the bass a little. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/fisher-futura-vi-followed-me-home-ma.249012/ & http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/rehabbing-my-futura-vi-cabinet.312105/ All the pics are on photobucket for the time being, but plan on putting them here and updating the threads as needed. http://s408.photobucket.com/user/torskdoc/library/FISHER F590W FUTURA VI?sort=3&page=1

I'm dingy. Mine is a '63 with the 680-A (F-58-W)

I took pictures : upload_2017-9-19_17-46-13.png upload_2017-9-19_17-47-15.png Manufacture date on back is 1962. This has been sitting untouched for too long. I need to get rid of a beautiful Philco to make room for this in the house.

Sorry for the thread hijack Jonboy.

Biscuit; Most of the pics have been added directly to the threads. Gotta find a few, but I think I know where they are. Also the Futura followed me home thread may be moved to the FISHER Forum from the Tube Forum as I asked Tinkerbelle to consider it.

65.......63.....what's a couple years between friends. Oh MAN you GOTTA GET THAT BUGGER running. 7591 finals!?!??!?! Holy crap. Gonna be hard to find that door pull (unless you've got it stashed inside of it. )

Larry

Biscuit; Most of the pics have been added directly to the threads. Gotta find a few, but I think I know where they are. Also the Futura followed me home thread may be moved to the FISHER Forum from the Tube Forum as I asked Tinkerbelle to consider it.

65.......63.....what's a couple years between friends. Oh MAN you GOTTA GET THAT BUGGER running. 7591 finals!?!??!?! Holy crap. Gonna be hard to find that door pull (unless you've got it stashed inside of it. )

Larry

I do have that pull. My very young daughter tried to "open" the faux cabinet door and she ended up on the floor of the garage with it in her hand. no biggy.
I have Consulitis... this is where your home swells and aches with the weight of the consoles inside it. I am in need of a Consulectomy. I just hesitate whenever it is time to sever the ties.

Sounds like something my Grandkids would do. Consolitis! Yeah me too. Now she wants to swap the living and dining rooms back to original locations and I have 4 consoles between those two room I need to re-arrange. Oh brother. I thought it was supposed to be nice and quiet in my retired golden years?? NO SUCH LUCK!

Always nice to have an amplifier with 7591's. My Chadwick C-33 came from the factory with 460T tuner and 660A amplifier. I have (or maybe I sold it) a second Chadwick C-33 that came with a 460T and a 460A.

...sorry...late to this party...but anyway...

Jonboy55, are you saying that very console was at Kutztown? Wow, I wish I could have seen it, just to say that I've actually seen one of those. We don't go in September because the wife can't get off work, and this year I didn't have the vacation time either.

As for the price, if you didn't already know the seller, I would say the, ah...optimistic...price is a result of not just the equipment inside, but the Modern cabinet. Some folks in the Mid Century Modern crowd would very willingly pay the asking price and not blink an eye. Perhaps the seller is aware of this? We are the second owners of a Mid Century home built in 1960, and we've decorated it with a lot of MCM pieces. So I know that people go ga-ga over certain MCM items, most especially genuine original designer name furniture but also many other non-designer pieces that were well-built, such as this Fisher console stereo. As far as I can tell, some people who are into MCM are the only people that I am aware of who will pay big buck$$$$ for any Modern-style console stereos, whereas most folks will not even give them a second glance.

There is, or was, someone who advertised in Atomic Ranch magazine regularly, offering "restored" Modern console stereos with Bluetooth capability at crazy prices...and MCM aficionados were buying them.

Jonboy55, are you saying that very console was at Kutztown? Wow, I wish I could have seen it, just to say that I've actually seen one of those. We don't go in September because the wife can't get off work, and this year I didn't have the vacation time either.

As for the price, if you didn't already know the seller, I would say the, ah...optimistic...price is a result of not just the equipment inside, but the Modern cabinet. Some folks in the Mid Century Modern crowd would very willingly pay the asking price and not blink an eye. Perhaps the seller is aware of this? We are the second owners of a Mid Century home built in 1960, and we've decorated it with a lot of MCM pieces. So I know that people go ga-ga over certain MCM items, most especially genuine original designer name furniture but also many other non-designer pieces that were well-built, such as this Fisher console stereo. As far as I can tell, some people who are into MCM are the only people that I am aware of who will pay big buck$$$$ for any Modern-style console stereos, whereas most folks will not even give them a second glance.

There is, or was, someone who advertised in Atomic Ranch magazine regularly, offering "restored" Modern console stereos with Bluetooth capability at crazy prices...and MCM aficionados were buying them.

Hi Ron -

Yes, the 1959 Fisher Futura II F-210 in the modern cabinet was at Kutztown. A person who I have know for many years was selling it.

I'm aware that in certain places you can actually get that kind of money for the console. If that console was working including the the Garrard record changer and was in a "modern furniture" shop in Manhattan it is very possible to get a lot of money for it. As far as I know the console had not been powered up. Just to repair the Garrard record changer is expensive because you have to get or repair the idler wheel and other parts. Also, the tuner and amp have to be in working condition. The cabinet was in excellent shape. The money he can sell it for will depend upon the market he is selling it to - whether the "retail" market, or the "collector" market. I don't feel the collector market will pay the price but depending upon the selling location the retail market might pay the price.

As with real estate, it's all about location, location, location! (and whether it works).

Last edited:

I guess we are lucky that Adrian Pearsall ,G. Nakashima, E. Saarinen, Herman Miller and Eames didn't design Stereo consoles... then we'd really need to compete with all the MCM nuts out there. (I'm one) I am happy that the Drexel and Barzilay type brands haven't shot through the roof yet. Yet.

Drexel stuff from 1951 (Table Rock and Heritage acquisition era) through the early sixties is really well designed, well built, beautiful furniture. I reckon that if this MCM craze continues another 10 years, we will see interest spike in these American Psedo-mass produced brands.

Right now the price of antique radio (1920's - 1940's) consoles are depressed - unless they are something very rare like EH Scott, McMurdo Silver, etc. The value of audio consoles from the 1950's and 1960's are up and down. I just saw a Fisher 101-P console from the early 1950's sell for $340.00 on ebay - and it was the model with the record changer only - no radio!. That's nuts. I wouldn't have taken that model without the radio for free. The reason I think he was able to sell it for as much as he did is that he posted a You Tube video of the console working.

By the way, I'll mention again that the 1959 Fisher futura at Kutztown had the less valuable version of the Fisher X-1000 amplifier with the EL84 output tubes and not the EL34 output tubes.

Right now the price of antique radio (1920's - 1940's) consoles are depressed - unless they are something very rare like EH Scott, McMurdo Silver, etc. The value of audio consoles from the 1950's and 1960's are up and down. I just saw a Fisher 101-P console from the early 1950's sell for $340.00 on ebay - and it was the model with the record changer only - no radio!. That's nuts. I wouldn't have taken that model without the radio for free. The reason I think he was able to sell it for as much as he did is that he posted a You Tube video of the console working.

By the way, I'll mention again that the 1959 Fisher futura at Kutztown had the less valuable version of the Fisher X-1000 amplifier with the EL84 output tubes and not the EL34 output tubes.

When I appraise a piece ( I am not an appraiser, I just mean when I look a piece over) like a console or even a 50s speaker cabinet most likely homemade, the very first thing I look at is the cabinetry. The material and craftsmanship of the wood. I love to see the biscuit-jointed Poplar of the 50s that was then veneered. 6-8 ply plywood in birch or other hardwoods. Solid, thick, hefty trim pieces. Cleats and nailers everywhere, glued and screwed.
Then I take in the veneer... thickness, cut, kind and finish. Is it rotary or plain sliced?
Then I look at fasteners and hardware... slotted screws with heads the size of a dime, Copper coated hinges with flare. Brass pims, pullls, and knobs.
Then I look at the doors, drawers, and lids... are the gaps perfect and aligned?
Then the overall design of the piece... would you call it Modern, Contemporary, Country, Danish, American, German, Provincial, etc...

Once I have a complete assessment of the cabinetry, then I move on to the stereo components. Mine is a quadruple whammy, Wood and Sound, Craftsmanship and design.

That $340 Fisher 101-P console that you referenced, I think it was a reasonable price. I come at from a standpoint of, "what would it take to recreate this today?". Cabinetry material alone might approach $200 for that.
I am constantly fighting an internal battle... I think these pieces should demand much higher prices, except when I want to acquire one, then the capitalist in me rears its ugly head.

I thank you for FisherConsoles.com ! If I ever come up with any info of value, I will absolutely pass it on.

I also wanted to add... Location.

I imagine that in the East, you get to see many more of these wonderful pieces. Here in Colorado, I am lucky to see one a year.
In the last 10 years, I have seen 6 Fisher consoles show up on CL in Colorado, I bought 5 of them. I've seen one Ampex, bought it. I've never seen a Concert Grand... I missed a Capehart last year by a fraction.

Hi Ron -

Yes, the 1959 Fisher Futura II F-210 in the modern cabinet was at Kutztown. A person who I have know for many years was selling it.

I'm aware that in certain places you can actually get that kind of money for the console. If that console was working including the the Garrard record changer and was in a "modern furniture" shop in Manhattan it is very possible to get a lot of money for it. As far as I know the console had not been powered up. Just to repair the Garrard record changer is expensive because you have to get or repair the idler wheel and other parts. Also, the tuner and amp have to be in working condition. The cabinet was in excellent shape. The money he can sell it for will depend upon the market he is selling it to - whether the "retail" market, or the "collector" market. I don't feel the collector market will pay the price but depending upon the selling location the retail market might pay the price.

As with real estate, it's all about location, location, location! (and whether it works).

Agree completely.

And I also want to thank you for your excellent website. These websites truly are a labor of love, aren't they? (Full disclosure: I own the philcoradio.com website, which not long ago I converted into mainly a forum with a photo gallery, so I know and can appreciate how much work goes into building and maintaining a website.)

I guess we are lucky that Adrian Pearsall ,G. Nakashima, E. Saarinen, Herman Miller and Eames didn't design Stereo consoles... then we'd really need to compete with all the MCM nuts out there. (I'm one) I am happy that the Drexel and Barzilay type brands haven't shot through the roof yet. Yet.

...Drexel Declaration furniture is pretty hot among the MCM crowd...

Agree completely.

And I also want to thank you for your excellent website. These websites truly are a labor of love, aren't they? (Full disclosure: I own the philcoradio.com website, which not long ago I converted into mainly a forum with a photo gallery, so I know and can appreciate how much work goes into building and maintaining a website.)

Hi Ron -

I've used your web site many times and I think we last met at the Kutztown radio meet.

I've often wondered if I should add a forum section to the Fisher Console web site but I wonder if I would spend too much time watching and monitoring what is said on the site.

Some of the forum web sites have people who say a lot of crazy things. The Fisher Console web site right now is a informational web site. I don't even sell any of the manuals. It's all free downloading.

And as you say, a labor of love.

Jon
Thank you. :) We may have met at Kutztown; I am sorry but I do not remember. :beerchug: Since I've been in the radio hobby for 43 years, lots of the guys up there know me and I talk to a lot of people whenever I am at Kutztown, and then later I never can remember them all. :oops:

I was there in May when the weather was miserable, cold, and rainy.

You are correct, running a forum and keeping track of any crazy things posted is impossible without good moderators to help you. We have enough mods on the Philco Phorum to keep the crazies and spammers at bay. The Phorum mods are the best...they do such a great job that I can step away for days at a time, knowing that all will be well.

Besides, why open yourself up to the headaches when there is already a first rate Fisher forum...right here? :) Just keep doing what you do best. I can guarantee that a lot more people appreciate what you do than you ever hear from.

Last edited:
I have a '65 Futura ! Its the Walnut modern with the 690a. It is in the garage unrestored... but I'll get to it soon. My Coronet is a Provincial, and it is my least favorite style... but it sounds wonderful.
Sounds like you know your stuff.
In my neck-o-da-woods, I see a Fisher Console about once every 3-4 years, so when I do, I just buy it.
I hope it becomes yours at some point. Maybe fix the other up and use the proceeds to help offset the high price?
I'm down here in New Mexico,and I've NEVER seen a Fisher console.I think my X-101 may be the only piece of Fisher tube gear I've ever seen.

Hi. I stumbled upon this site and registered becauseI need some help and info. My dad purchased a Fisher Stereo console in 1959 just like the one at the start of this thread. It still works and is in pristine condition. "Futura II" cabinet in Walnut without a scratch. The speaker fabric is discolored due to age. We are moving and I'm not sure we want to bring it with us. It is heavy! How can I figure out what it is worth and where would I go to sell it? Thanks so much.

IMG_2542.jpg IMG_2541.jpg IMG_2540.jpg IMG_2539.jpg IMG_2538.jpg

Carol. Gorgeous unit, and a rare 1959 STEREO. BUT, discussions of worth, price, are reserved only for the DOLLARS and SENSE Forum. We tend to self police on the FISHER Forum at times. We can ask a Moderator to move your post to that forum and it'll be all yours, vs. a tag on at the end of another thread. As for the Grille cloth, it can be cleaned, very gently and very carefully. Theoretically you could use a spray carpet cleaner with Oxyclean or similar and scrub with a soft bristle brush VERY LIGHTLY, and vacuum it with a hand attachment for a carpet cleaner machine. SERIOUSLY, I'd keep it for the sentimental value and use the heck out of it. This model was 1st year for the X101A amplifier and The 101-R tuner. This is the only year made on the Futura line for this pairing. I've seen too many people rip the consoles apart and strip out the guts for standalone use and toss a perfectly good cabinet just because they wanted the guts. Granted the guts (amp and Tuner) are worth more than the whole console. If you have kids, and they like it offer it up to them (part of their inheritance, they don't get it until after the will is read).

You can transfer your post by clicking REPORT at the bottom of your post, and requesting a move to the DOLLARS and SENSE Forum

Carol. Gorgeous unit, and a rare 1959 STEREO. BUT, discussions of worth, price, are reserved only for the DOLLARS and SENSE Forum. We tend to self police on the FISHER Forum at times. We can ask a Moderator to move your post to that forum and it'll be all yours, vs. a tag on at the end of another thread. As for the Grille cloth, it can be cleaned, very gently and very carefully. Theoretically you could use a spray carpet cleaner with Oxyclean or similar and scrub with a soft bristle brush VERY LIGHTLY, and vacuum it with a hand attachment for a carpet cleaner machine. SERIOUSLY, I'd keep it for the sentimental value and use the heck out of it. This model was 1st year for the X101A amplifier and The 101-R tuner. This is the only year made on the Futura line for this pairing. I've seen too many people rip the consoles apart and strip out the guts for standalone use and toss a perfectly good cabinet just because they wanted the guts. Granted the guts (amp and Tuner) are worth more than the whole console. If you have kids, and they like it offer it up to them (part of their inheritance, they don't get it until after the will is read).

You can transfer your post by clicking REPORT at the bottom of your post, and requesting a move to the DOLLARS and SENSE Forum
Thank you. I will do that.

Back
Top Bottom