Shure Premier

Thanks! Pictures of the bellies would be worth 1000 words. :) I was looking at photos on google and I couldn't tell an M75 from an M91 if I didn't have something that spelled it out. Both seemed to have flat bellies/bottoms and the scalloped sides looked the same, too. I don't have an M75 (to my knowledge) to look at and my M91 is on something somewhere here. Know what I mean?

The actual bodies of the M75 and M91 are identical, the only difference is the plastic housing. The M75 accepts the shorter plastic grip of the N75 stylus, the M91 accepts the taller grip of the N91 stylus

Cool! I still am not clear what part of the plastic housing is different M75 vs M91. I understand long vs short plastic grip. Thanks, Malden.

M91 on the left, M75 "Premier" on the right. I wasn't going to unmount them to show the difference.

Shure M91 and M75 by Buhduh, on Flickr

Another (jeez they look dirty like this)

Shure cartridges by Buhduh, on Flickr

And on this you really see the relative height of the plastic top body relative to the metal housing. The larger plastic stylus grip of the M91 will obviously not fit in the space the M75 allows.

Shure things by Buhduh, on Flickr

I also use the M75 in my AR turntable head-shell. Because of the low profile of the N75 stylus grip, it slides out without having to remove the cartridge.

Does your M75 pictured above have scalloped/corrugated sides like these M75's do? M75ED-3.jpg M75-2.jpg M75ED-4.jpg

Last edited:
Does your M75 have scalloped/corrugated sides with a front and bottom that look just like these M91's? M91ED-3.jpg M91ED-2.jpg M91ED-1.jpg If so, I don't think you could tell the difference by looking at them without stickers on them. I don't "see" a difference. It does look like your M75 might have flat sides. Did they make more than one version of the M75 body?

I think I finally see a difference. The corrugation does not come down as far in the front of the M91 where the wider stylus grip is required.

I think I finally see a difference. The corrugation does not come down as far in the front of the M91 where the wider stylus grip is required.

Exactly! More of the M91 body is exposed.

The one in the AR headshell is scalloped but I have other 7x series ones that are not.

I use the plastic body M75. It positions the top of the stylus grip just below the bottom rim if the head-shell. I don't recall if I used spacers, I'll have to look.

In my pics above I removed the flip down guard to show more of the cartridge. It does work fine with it though and I have no spacers.

I have a small box full of those M75 (and M95) flip-down guards, it always seemed to me that a loose fitting hunk of plastic near the business end of a tone-arm is not a good idea...:idea:

Last edited:
Buy the genuine Shure N75ED stylus available now on EBAY fro $60.00 and get it over with!!!!! Generics are poor quality!!!! Your expensive record collection will thank you and so will your ears!!!! Again, just IMO!!!!

There is always a risk when buying NOS (new old stock) needles. I've purchased quite a few from ebay as well as some reputable vendors. Corroded cantilevers, collapsed suspensions and stiff suspensions (less common) are some of the problems I've experienced.

If we're talking Shure cartridges, JICO is the way to go.

https://www.jico-stylus.com/index.php?cPath=18

This came on a Dual CS 521 and says Shure Premier on the underside. Is this a pale yellow or a beige?

Sounds pretty good so far.

Premier.JPG

My first Dual out of college was a 521. Had it for many years. That looks like the later "premier" version of M95ED with yellow (eliptical) stylus. Maybe some others can confirm. Doesn't look very yellow, does it? Shure re-released several of their cartridges and labeled them Premier. I haven't heard anyone say they weren't excellent sounding cartridges.

M95ED N95ED (Yellow with Black lettering) Biradial (0.2 x0.7 mils) 0.75 to 1.5 grams (Tracking Force: 0.75 to 1.5 grams)

Back
Top Bottom