What McIntosh Gear Are You Using?

Hello all, i have a Mac 1900 and ML-1C speakers. Mac isn't working right now and one of the speakers has a tweeter out but i intend to get them both working at 100%. Got the set in a trade deal for my Alesis DM6 drum kit and i think i made out like a bandit!

20170813_143359.jpg20170813_144251.jpg20170813_143428.jpg

It is also not uncommon for the blocking cap to bust, literally crack length wise in these ML1c speakers. Black 6 mfd...glued to the particle board to which all the xover parts are attached. probably still have a bad dome.....make sure to check the replacements for rattleing also.....

Once you get the woofer pulled out and the board detached post a picture in the regular forum....

I just picked up a McIntosh Mc 7100 and a c40 to hook it to.
They are both completely mint but no manuals.
I downloaded both manuals but still I am confused.
I don't seemed to be getting anything from the 7100?
Can any McIntosh experts help me out?

Thanks.

I just picked up a McIntosh Mc 7100 and a c40 to hook it to.
They are both completely mint but no manuals.
I downloaded both manuals but still I am confused.
I don't seemed to be getting anything from the 7100?
Can any McIntosh experts help me out?

Thanks.
Martin - congratulations, those are very nice pieces. Have you tried headphones in the C40 to be sure you have an audio signal present?

I just added a Mac MC 152 to go along with my C220 tube preamp. I was using a Parasound A21. I will be comparing the two to see how they deliver the goods to my Harbeth compact 7"s.Right off the bat I can tell you the Mac has me raising the volume level quite bit. Using the Parasound I can listen low at 18..regular about 25-30. The Mac, low about 35, not too detailed, regular 38-43. My concern is the higher volume level can create tube noise. Besides the extra power, the Parasound is quite detailed and punchy, the Mac is warmer, smoother., definitely there is a different sound provided by these amps. The Harbeths are 6 ohm speakers so I am swapping terminals on the Mac between the 4 & 8 ohms. cannot say I hear any difference. Of course I am only a few hours into comparing, and the extreme heat here in NY has my AC kicking in so I have to turn it off when it's cool enough so I can listen to the performance of the Mac. I am using balanced cables to the amp even though the C220 is not true balanced from what I understand.

I just added a Mac MC 152 to go along with my C220 tube preamp. I was using a Parasound A21. I will be comparing the two to see how they deliver the goods to my Harbeth compact 7"s.Right off the bat I can tell you the Mac has me raising the volume level quite bit. Using the Parasound I can listen low at 18..regular about 25-30. The Mac, low about 35, not too detailed, regular 38-43. My concern is the higher volume level can create tube noise. Besides the extra power, the Parasound is quite detailed and punchy, the Mac is warmer, smoother., definitely there is a different sound provided by these amps. The Harbeths are 6 ohm speakers so I am swapping terminals on the Mac between the 4 & 8 ohms. cannot say I hear any difference. Of course I am only a few hours into comparing, and the extreme heat here in NY has my AC kicking in so I have to turn it off when it's cool enough so I can listen to the performance of the Mac. I am using balanced cables to the amp even though the C220 is not true balanced from what I understand.

You're raising the volume level of the preamp simply because those two amps have different sensitivity specs, which is fine, and which is why the preamp has such a wide range of output (0-99). My C220 is set at 35-45 for most listening, up to 50 on occasion. (I have all inputs trimmed to 0.0dB.) I don't think you've got anything to worry about as far as distortion in the tube stage, and those tubes hit a solid-state buffer before they go to the amp (which is why the C220 can drive amps with unusually low input impedance).

Anyway, how's it sound? Does the MC152 win?

1978 C28 preamp and M2105 amp. 1973 ML-1C speakers...still on the hunt for the MQ101
Actually the speakers are in final restoration stage. Refoamed the 8's and repaired a small strip of loose veneer then touched up a few minor dings with dark walnut stain. Tomorrow I refoam the 12's and they are done...feels like Christmas eve when I was a kid!

This is my first post to this forum. Like so many who grew up with great stereo systems and sound, I have recently returned to my old gear and the sound that has been lost with bluetooth and the subwoofer/tiny wall boxes that came before that. I had sold most of my things but kept my receiver, a Mcintosh 4100. It plays like the day I got it so long ago. It's good to be back. I am amazed by the volume (pun intended) of incredibly helpful threads. I've been scanning the forum here for a few days. Thanks to all of you who share your knowledge...especially if you are able to do it without this: "Yeah, I bought one of those at Goodwill last week for 3 marbles and a 2 day old banana peel." I should note there are a couple of Klipsch Heresy I s attached to my upstart system. The torch is for cleaning LPs.

upload_2017-10-20_23-44-34.png

Our new thread. :)

Tell us what McIntosh gear you are using. If you have photographs to share
please do include them.

Off topic posts in this thread will be subject to deletion.

You can attach pics or link to your hosting. You can also use and link from the Member's Gallery.

Carl

BTW, My amp that is pictured in my banner. I have 3 more of them.
I am using 2 Mc 1.2 KW, 3 MC 601, CA 50, MX 150, MT 10 (and the Mc clock :)

Back
Top Bottom