Aiqin/Oldchen Tube Amps

Where are you based? What sort of budget are we looking at, but of course second hand would be the go once you narrow down the choices.
Though you are looking to use the Oldchen SEP so they need to be fairly efficient. You could do what mjw21a has done in one of his systems, He used some old speaker cabs and fitted them with these I think https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ps220-8-8-point-source-full-range-neo-driver--295-346

So if you grabbed a pair of those and grab an old decent vintage speaker cabs that did originally use 8" drivers the fitting won't be too difficult.

I might not be much help here as I'm in Australia, and don't have a lot of experience with what might be available there on the secondhand market, and my experiences are limited in this area. Maybe look at what others are running with there Oldchen SEP's

Yes, the Dayton PS220-8 drivers sound absolutely amazing with this amp. It outperforms my B&W DM16 speakers with my higher powered Push/Pull amp. Cheaper too.

Might be too late, but it looks like there is the option of ordering the triode version when placing an order.

I think you'll enjoy it anyway. That amp paired with Dayton USA PS8-220 drivers was my favourite system until I recently replaced the Yaqin MC10T amp, B&W DM16 speakers & Wharfedale SW150 sub in my main system with an Oldchen K3 amp & Aurum Cantus F620 speakers.... Even even better again though quite a bit more expense.

Jes I am very exsited, but the amp is not delivered yet, it will take a week or so.
I have sendt them a note that I would like the amp in triode mode or if not supply me with the schematics.
I have allready ordered new tubes as described.

Jes I am very exsited, but the amp is not delivered yet, it will take a week or so.
I have sendt them a note that I would like the amp in triode mode or if not supply me with the schematics.
I have allready ordered new tubes as described.
Morten changing from UL to Triode is extremely easy :) do you have a soldering equipment?

Last edited:
Just sharing.

Screenshot_20171018-232150.jpg
Triode Mode looks like above, theres a jumper connecting both the pin together.

And there's the Yellow wire is hidden away below the board usually. You connect it when you want to switch it to Ultra Linear and remove the jumper wire. Refer below for UL setting.

Screenshot_20171018-232312.jpg

Hi
I just ordered the Aiqin EL34 deluxe edition https://hifi-exquis.com/single-ende..._tubes/40-version_levels-luxury_black_version
I am new to Tube´s but I have done some solid state amp´s over the years.
Can anyone tell me how do I change the Ultra-linear connection to triode connection?
And has anyone got the schematics?
I am planning to use it with Loather Auditorium Acousta speakers so I dont need that much power.

Best regards
Morten T

Mort, hope to see some pictures of your Lowthers and amp :thumbsup::thumbsup:

My EL 34 is up and playing:)
My first impression is very good, out of the box this little amp is better than my Charlize class T amp from Diy Paradise (2 x 10W based on the TA2020 chip).
I can´t wait to hear what better wires, better components and better Tubes will do.
I have changed the Volume knob and Power switch to something nicer I think.

001_resize.jpg 002_resize.jpg

Poultrygeist here are my Auditorium Acousta Lowther´s, dont pay attention to the regulators and the treble horn I dont use them any more but in the 80´s when I build them I found it necessary.
The cabinet´s need a rebuild soon, I am planning to turn them around so the back will be the front and leave out the PM 6 that is blocking the horn.

001_resize.jpg 002_resize.jpg

My EL 34 is up and playing:)
My first impression is very good, out of the box this little amp is better than my Charlize class T amp from Diy Paradise (2 x 10W based on the TA2020 chip).
I can´t wait to hear what better wires, better components and better Tubes will do.
I have changed the Volume knob and Power switch to something nicer I think.

View attachment 1029766 View attachment 1029767

Poultrygeist here are my Auditorium Acousta Lowther´s, dont pay attention to the regulators and the treble horn I dont use them any more but in the 80´s when I build them I found it necessary.
The cabinet´s need a rebuild soon, I am planning to turn them around so the back will be the front and leave out the PM 6 that is blocking the horn.

View attachment 1029768 View attachment 1029769

Wow! Nice stuff. So these were originally back loaded horns before some experimentation?

Originally the Auditorium Acousta was a mono back loaded horn, it was placed with the horn mouth facing the corner.
Later I think around 1960 the need of stereo and high fidelity made Lowther to place an additional driver on the front.
It works OK but the problem is that the front driver is mounted in the bottom of a plastik bucket and the whole thing is blocking the horn a bit.
Look at the drawing I have attached.

Attachments

• Lowther Auditorium Acousta 2.pdf
    389.2 KB · Views: 26
Originally the Auditorium Acousta was a mono back loaded horn, it was placed with the horn mouth facing the corner.
Later I think around 1960 the need of stereo and high fidelity made Lowther to place an additional driver on the front.
It works OK but the problem is that the front driver is mounted in the bottom of a plastik bucket and the whole thing is blocking the horn a bit.
Look at the drawing I have attached.

That is so interesting. Assuming you have two cabinets with two PM6's per cabinet I'd go with the single driver BL horn conversion. With the two left over drivers I'd use them in open baffles with helper woofers. Lowthers in OB with bass support are unbelievable.

Back
Top Bottom