What musical instruments do you have in the house?

Can't believe I missed this one...

Selmer Mark VI tenor sax
Yamaha student flute

I had a Mark VII years ago, one that was somewhat rare due to it having no engraving/scrollwork on it (an oldtimer who did the scrollwork had retired, and had yet to be replaced). Sold it for more than we paid for it back in the late 70s (had a discount through our band director). My tutor had a VI and I could hear the difference between the two--the VII if I recall had thinner metal. I see a lot of VIs in use among pros--some have had the lacquer long worn off (look at Sanborn's alto), but they just keep on ticking all these years.

All I have now is the flute (an Armstrong), and a forlorn soprano that needs a total repad and a mouthpiece (probably just a basic Selmer C*). To be honest I would rather buy a bass or alto flute than get another sax.

@James Hart I have always wanted a double bass, but it's too pricey just for something to learn on and play around with. I have to make do with a less expensive electric bass I picked up a few years back.

@James Hart I have always wanted a double bass, but it's too pricey just for something to learn on and play around with. I have to make do with a less expensive electric bass I picked up a few years back.

I lusted after uprights for 20 years before I finally made the jump... but actually it was cheaper than each of my 3 customs. The one I want now is twice the cost of my customs + my upright! Luckily I'm too much of a hack to justify the cost :p

I played sax from 4th grade through high school... alto mainly, but in concert band I also played the bari sax, bassoon, oboe, and alto clarinet depending on the needs of the tune. I plan on buying a used concert flute and alto sax in the next 3 to 5 years. My daughter enjoys music and I plan to have a collection of various types and styles on hand to explore. She already has access to my stuff, plus a piano, a toy piano, ukulele, misc hand drums, and penny whistles. She'll be 3 in January, so she only plays with them... but I'm amazed at the frequency that she hovers on root and chord tones in her "play".

My daughter enjoys music and I plan to have a collection of various types and styles on hand to explore.
Mine just started college. (Going to an art college in Detroit.) I've had keyboard and guitar around the house for her, and she has a couple of things at her mother's house also. I probably will get a digital piano one of these years, since I cannot play the Yamaha keyboard due to it having no "feel" (action) to the keys.

I don't even think I'd have room for an upright bass at home. I only really have the one room to myself, and it's already quite packed with furniture, desk and the audio mess.

white ...jimmy vaughn stratocaster 1996..but with lil 59 humbucker in bridge,also very rare 80 something beat looking marshall 4 10 cab..red..............playin through a fender 15 watt squier, 5 bucks at a yard sale,an yes can sound kinda like plexis i had in the past.........this one pictured belonged to muddy waters son,bill morganfield,i scalloped it,an put in blackmore style pickups,big frets etc,finally sold to a guy in scandanavia who loves vintage scalloped strats.. 1200bucks years ago,way too cheap,an i should have left it stock,also got a 91 american standard in a pawn shop,with red,an 2 gold lace sensers..i probably am gonna lose it.......

Attachments

• 20170801708013091308.jpg
    20170801708013091308.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 11
Can't believe I missed this one...

I had a Mark VII years ago, one that was somewhat rare due to it having no engraving/scrollwork on it (an oldtimer who did the scrollwork had retired, and had yet to be replaced). Sold it for more than we paid for it back in the late 70s (had a discount through our band director). My tutor had a VI and I could hear the difference between the two--the VII if I recall had thinner metal. I see a lot of VIs in use among pros--some have had the lacquer long worn off (look at Sanborn's alto), but they just keep on ticking all these years.

All I have now is the flute (an Armstrong), and a forlorn soprano that needs a total repad and a mouthpiece (probably just a basic Selmer C*). To be honest I would rather buy a bass or alto flute than get another sax.

I've considered selling the VI, especially when I needed to cover the cost of a surgery, but I've never managed to part with it.

I was actually looking for a VII or SA80 when I bought it, as I figured I wouldn't be able to find a VI I could afford (even though they were much less expensive in the 80s). Someone at a music store told me he knew of a man who was selling a VI for a very good price but was a little finicky. The seller and his wife seemed quite nice and were in their late 70s. He showed me the VI, said he was selling it as he was now having difficulty playing it, and had been using his Cigar Cutter instead. I played the VI, was wowed, and knew I wanted to buy it. He nodded and we talked price a bit. His wife then came in and told me she liked my playing and he did as well. It turned out other potential buyers had been there, but he didn't think they were yet good enough for the VI.

1 Yamaha folk guitar
1 set of ancient but still good bongos
2 Hohner Blues Harps
(does this count?) a Midi keypad hooked to my computer

Wow, some impressive lists of instruments!

I was a little surprised when I put together my list, given that I'm not much of a musician. I guess I just have a love for the instruments and and respect for how others can make music with them.

Squier Vintage Vibe Tele
Early 80's Squier Bullet Strat
Epiphone DOT
Danelectro '59 reissue
Carvin Acoustic
Martin 000M
1975 Fender Vibro Champ restored by me
DIY three tube guitar amp built by me from an old tube classroom record player
Old Yamaha acoustic (wife's)
Dulcimer (wife's)
Old piano (wife is a music major and teaches piano at home)
Baritone uke (wife's)
Peruvian pan flute
Peruvian flute made of bone
Peruvian shaker made of llama hooves
Peruvian shaker made of dried seed pods
Native American drum from the Taos Pueblo
Ceramic hand drum
Rain stick
Several harmonicas which no one should ever hear me try to play :eek:

Last edited:
can anyone fix my k l h model 19,lites up,and no sound at all..i mean cheaper than norman,or wizard electronics..im moved an getttin things together...

as of right now this amp and guitar. but ive been using a friends daughters flute. she wanted to learn how to play it. since she got it for xmas, ive been giving her lessons.
they laughed when i told them i can play it lol. i was one of those band geeks in in grade school and high school haha.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180209-054910.png
    Screenshot_20180209-054910.png
    245.9 KB · Views: 8
I have a Yamaha P-70 keyboard that I got real cheap, and did the neccessary internal cleaning and re-felting. It sounds and plays great now.
I've got a Fender F35 acoustic that I bot around 45 years ago. It has developed a gorgeous tone, and with a little neck work over the years, it plays beautifully. About a week after I got it, I picked up a set of Grover machine heads and installed them. Everything is so nicely settled in now, that in order to make it go out of tune I have to throw it down the stairs. Well ... almost ...
I've also got a cheap Yamaha acoustic that I got for $40 CAD at an auction. Whats that ... like 15 bucks US? Lol. I set the neck up properly and it plays almost as well as my niece's Taylor. I also did the neck work on the Taylor. It always amazes me how poorly they play, straight from the factory.
However, I do remember playing a Taylor at Steve's Music in Toronto that was well set up.
I guess Steve had the techs spend a bit of time on the guitars before they hung them.
And I also have a PRS SE 'Santana' electric, that I've finally gotten around to fine tuning the neck and the temolo bridge. Sure is trickier to get set up properly. A lot more adjustment points.
I have a few other acoustics here at the moment that belong to friends that I'm working on. One of then needs 2 worn frets replaced, so that'll be interesting.
I've always wanted a mandolin tho, so I've been searching for a good deal. And I gotta get me a Uke, as well.
And amps; just a Cube 30, and a Line 6 Flextone III. The Line 6 is pretty amazing.

Dave

@SA7I
That's just mean, telling us something like that.:biggrin:
Okay, okay, I've gotten over my initial jealous outburst ... so, congratulations!!
That kind of gifting doesn't happen every day. Nice score.

Dave

Just bot a Yamaha FS700S acoustic off Kijiji a few months ago. I needed the good machine heads for a cheaper Yamaha I have, so I bot some Hipshot locking machine heads for the FS700S, and swapped them all out.
Both guitars, play and tune real nice now, and changing strings on the FS is a snap with the Hipshots.
I still have to do a proper bridge set up on my PRS Santana SE electric. I'm gettin' to it ...

Dave

Back
Top Bottom