Show Us Your Sonys!!!

Decided to recap my GX10ES after it started going into protection after approximately 15-mins of play. I really miss this amp and can't wait to put it back into service.

Waiting on main board caps and modern binding posts.

Attachments

• IMG_20170924_011808.jpg
    IMG_20170924_011808.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 60
I am working on a TTS8000 which has very similar electronics to the PS8750 speed control. I am also now in the process of designing an alternative solution for the OKI MSM5576 oscillator that delivers the 240Hz, 480Hz and 960Hz signal. This is the same in both the TTS8000 and the PS8750!

It involves a CD4060BC counter IC, a 3.932160Mhz xtal (same as in the TTS8000 and PS8750), 2 resistors and maybe 2 caps. This will supply the 240Hz, 480Hz and 960Hz square wave signals. I now integrate this solution (after testing a small proto) to a complete new servo board PCB for the TTS8000 due to a lot of issues with bad pad's on the original PCB.

Well it works, i just put in a cd4060BE with the proper resistors and caps and i get a nice 240Hz, 480Hz and 960Hz and very stable!!
I measure:
239.9977Hz for 240Hz,
479.9954Hz for 480Hz
959.9907Hz for 960Hz

So no need anymore to look out for a OKI MSM5576 IC to repair a Sony TTS8000 or PS8750.

I made a complete new PCB for my TTS8000 also to get rid of the issues with the via´s on the old PCB. The new one is very clean and uses modern via techniques.
I will post some pictures of the new PCB

Next step is to add the other IC´s and to see if everything measures according to spec!

also see this thread:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....replacement-proposal-with-modern-cmos.784237/

May I ask you where you got the VFETs? I may be interested in buying some.

bought several ta-n88 and tan-5550 at Japanese auctions and devastated them. Some were lucky to have all 8 devices OK, some have it failed... Polida guy at ebay is selling good devices - even though there's some negative cases on the net, my personal purchase from him is OK. Also have some successful purchase of J26/K76 (yamaha) at aliexpress.

next to a total rebuild of a tts-8000 i am also working on the recap and switch cleaning of a sony ta-e88:

IMG_2638.JPG

nothing too difficult here, one just has to take care of the correct positioning of the switch cams. Working on this amp is very easy, since everything is very accesible

Just received my Sony str 7055 back from a full restoration. :banana: I listened to it very briefly (will have more time this weekend) and am extremely grateful to our resident expert B.Hagstrom for doing outstanding work. He went ABOVE and BEYOND what is normally asked. Gotta love AK. Thank you very much. Gotta get back to work.....:whip:

Can anyone identify these column?

Sony-.jpeg

The beast:

View attachment 1014882

Now playing music over:

View attachment 1014883

The Yamaha c2x has an excellent phono stage. Let's see how it compares to the Sony ta e88 when the recapping and cleaning is finished. The Yamaha is all original so I am not sure it will be a fair comparison

Nice work! Will be interested to hear your conclusion when the TA-E88 is done and playing.

Mine could do with yet another cleaning of the switches, it's been a while.

Lots of interesting stuff going on here!

This weekend i used the fully restored TA-E88 pre-amp in combination with the PS-B80, a XL55pro cartridge and a TA-N7B (also restored some years ago).
This combination of Sony hardware is difficult to describe in terms of sound quality. The Sony pre amp is in a complete other league than the Yamaha after the recap, switch cleaning and full adjustments. I never expected this.

Next step is to do a comparison with a restored TA-E900, but this may take a while. First have to finish a TTS8000.

Also the PS-B80 had some work done, like a power supply recap, joint resoldering, some adjustments, cleaning of the switches and a new phono cable. I did not yet do a complete recap, but at the moment it works as it should. It came complete with the extra arm weight so i can use a XL55 cartridge.

Cool! So did you like what you heard? Not so sure what to make from your comments.

A pic of it all coming together is what we need :)

This weekend i used the fully restored TA-E88 pre-amp in combination with the PS-B80, a XL55pro cartridge and a TA-N7B (also restored some years ago).
This combination of Sony hardware is difficult to describe in terms of sound quality. The Sony pre amp is in a complete other league than the Yamaha after the recap, switch cleaning and full adjustments. I never expected this.

Next step is to do a comparison with a restored TA-E900, but this may take a while. First have to finish a TTS8000.

Also the PS-B80 had some work done, like a power supply recap, joint resoldering, some adjustments, cleaning of the switches and a new phono cable. I did not yet do a complete recap, but at the moment it works as it should. It came complete with the extra arm weight so i can use a XL55 cartridge.

I bet you will prefer E88 over E900. Have both, there's nothing special about E900, while E88 truly does some magic.

Sony TA-P9000ES

Hey Gerchy,

very nice ES collection you have and congratulations for your very very nice (and stylish) Sony ES homepage.

All:

Just tried my newly acquired TA-P9000ES pre amplifier last weekend and what can I say:

This is absolutely amazing:banana::drool::music:, the most transparent active pre amplifier I had in my system so far and the first time I don't want to go back to my passive pre (volume attenuator) again.

I had the following pre amplifiers recently in my current 3way active setup: TA-E86, TA-E88, TA-E901, TA-E900, Diatone DA-P20 and Technics SU-A200.
All of them have their individual merits (some especially related to MM/MC, what the P9000ES lacks), but none of these was as transparent with Line sources as the passive pre to date.

On a very first glance the TA-P9000ES sounds as transparent as the passive pre and on top of that allows some neat features like remote control, gain and source switching (purism is sometimes quite painful ...).

The chain I auditioned was the following:

SCD-777ES (modified) or PS-X9
|
V
TA-P9000ES
|
V
TA-D88 active crossover (3way)
|
V
Pioneer M-22 (treble)
Yamaha MX-10000 (mid)
Sony TA-N901 (bass)
|
V
Unda Maris Speaker

Since the TA-P9000ES is a pre amp with six identical channels, it could even be used behind (!!) the TA-D88 crossover, a setup which from a pure technical standpoint easily has the potential to be almost as transparent as "nothing", which is less than a passive pre ... I'll try this exotic mode of operation soon.
Confirm the "nothing" description of the P9000es' sound, whether in the active or bypass/pass through configuration. Makes for an easily noticeable improvement inline with the video sound processor vs. only the processor to amp. Aside from the surround sound features, the two channel or stereo channel "lines" are passive quite. Great input pots and volume control in the P9000es. Pre-amps are the hardest component to settle on in my opinion, I have heard over 28 in my system, both having stopped auditioning - the P9000es is my solid state keeper.

I am running my two channel sources into a tube pre-amp then into the P9000es bypass to the same 5-channel amp used for my video surround (TA-N9000es). You cannot do that with many pre-amps and I bet none that are as flexible and fine sounding as the P9000es. Thank you engineers at Sony.

@Stoffie: I liked very much what i heard. I have been playing so much vinyl last weeks that i did not have time to work on other projects or to reply here on AK.

I also have a tae900, but that will stay in the box right now. I am just curious how it compares to a TAE88.

@arky18: did you do anything to your TAE88 or TAE900?

But you are right the TAE88 truly does magic.

@Stoffie: I liked very much what i heard. I have been playing so much vinyl last weeks that i did not have time to work on other projects or to reply here on AK.

I also have a tae900, but that will stay in the box right now. I am just curious how it compares to a TAE88.

@arky18: did you do anything to your TAE88 or TAE900?

But you are right the TAE88 truly does magic.

Hi. in tae900 I have soldered out and throw away all tantalum caps: you possibly know if tantalums fail, they usually go short, devastating PSU and even tranny (had this in other tae86 preamp). All replaced now by wima mks/mkp and ROE bakelite caps. Also both diode bridges replaced for shottky. Looking to replace old elna caps eventhough they tested good capacity, still I don't like how they sound (too sweet), panasonic fc are better to my ears. New power cord as well - supra lorad, also laying it far away from the main board - as it was originally - very stupid - unscreened power cord lays just underneath precision low voltage regulators...

Back
Top Bottom