What I learned on Craigslist

I just had an email response to another of my CL listings. The person writes, "my boss is interested in your item, please email him at this yadayda@gmail.com address so he can come take a look at it today. You need to make email contact with him because he works in a plant and doesn't have access to his phone."
If doesn't have access to a phone, how is he going to access his email? I didn't respond.

Back in the "old" days there were these things called computers, they fit on/under a desk and were not very portable
but one could read emails on them. Which was much easier than trying to talk on the phone sometimes, due to the noice level of shop equipment
just saying...

For posterity:

00T0T_bqgjZtMgo5_600x450.jpg

All I can say is...

y Tho.jpg

Back in the "old" days there were these things called computers, they fit on/under a desk and were not very portable
but one could read emails on them. Which was much easier than trying to talk on the phone sometimes, due to the noice level of shop equipment
just saying...

That's not what they were attempting to do. When a Craigslist seller responds back to an email from a potential buyer, the seller's email is not shown, the response comes from craigslist. For whatever reason they were trying to get me to reply to another email with my email that would not pass through the craigslist domain. They were trying to get my email address, possibly to hijack it. If they had access to a computer on the shop floor to receive emails they would also be able to send them, why didn't he just send the inquiry himself instead of going through a phantom middleman.

That's not what they were attempting to do. When a Craigslist seller responds back to an email from a potential buyer, the seller's email is not shown, the response comes from craigslist. For whatever reason they were trying to get me to reply to another email with my email that would not pass through the craigslist domain. They were trying to get my email address, possibly to hijack it. If they had access to a computer on the shop floor to receive emails they would also be able to send them, why didn't he just send the inquiry himself instead of going through a phantom middleman.
ahhh, forgot the anominizer part....

I've learned lately, garage sale ads that say "no records" far outweigh the ones that say "records"...

What gives? Are the record hunters now the #1 most obnoxious early birds? Are they just using that line as a way to get hits on their ad? I can pick out at least a half dozen per week in my area that say "no records".

Today I learned that this Sony under-the-counter clock radio/CD player:

31NTWSS166L._SX355_.jpg

puts out MEGA-BASS!

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've learned that half the people who respond to ads will express interest and then never respond back.

Generally goes something like this -

Buyer: "Extremely interested in your receiver, when can I come pick it up?"

Me : "Anytime today or tomorrow, contact me at xxx-xxx-xxxx"

crickets.

Maybe they're just fishing for valid email addresses?

I've learned lately, garage sale ads that say "no records" far outweigh the ones that say "records"...

What gives? Are the record hunters now the #1 most obnoxious early birds? Are they just using that line as a way to get hits on their ad? I can pick out at least a half dozen per week in my area that say "no records".

If you've ever been calmly looking through a stack of records at a thrift and had to put up with some grey haired pony-tailed, Hawiian-shirt and cargo short wearing asshole immediately start doing the "annoyed breathing" thing (whch only makes me slow down and start purusing every cover as if it's the Rosetta Stone) then yeah, I would also say "no records" if I had a garage sale.

It's like a freaking uniform down here. And the annoying breathing and muttering doesn't wait... it's as soon as Mr. Reseller walks up...as if somehow that stuff was there for HIM and I'm touching HIS shit. Those are typically the guys that show up at 4AM with a flashlight wondering why you aren't ready yet.

If you've ever been calmly looking through a stack of records at a thrift and had to put up with some grey haired pony-tailed, Hawiian-shirt and cargo short wearing asshole immediately start doing the "annoyed breathing" thing (whch only makes me slow down and start purusing every cover as if it's the Rosetta Stone) then yeah, I would also say "no records" if I had a garage sale.

It's like a freaking uniform down here. And the annoying breathing and muttering doesn't wait... it's as soon as Mr. Reseller walks up...as if somehow that stuff was there for HIM and I'm touching HIS shit. Those are typically the guys that show up at 4AM with a flashlight wondering why you aren't ready yet.
I know those assholes an can't stand them either!

I've learned that half the people who respond to ads will express interest and then never respond back.

crickets.

I get this all the time. I figure it is someone who sent out replies to everyone who had this item and the first response with the best price gets the sale. They don't bother replying to the rest.

I don't worry about it anymore. And I'm starting to not include my phone number in my replies because of these guys.

I get this all the time. I figure it is someone who sent out replies to everyone who had this item and the first response with the best price gets the sale. They don't bother replying to the rest.

I don't worry about it anymore. And I'm starting to not include my phone number in my replies because of these guys.

I rarely sell on CL, but when I do, they don't get my number until a few emails have gone back and forth. So many weirdos.

An animal almost as disgusting as the electronics hoarder. Go to a record show, you can compete for space with a whole herd of these dipshits.

I just alienated 95% of audiokarma members.

Hoarders have a lot of stuff but they don't necessarily acquire it through annoying behavior any more than a record collector does. As a hoarder, I'm not offended at all. You'll have to try harder than that, tough guy. :rflmao:

crickets.

Yeah, maybe they don't want to talk on the phone. I don't want to talk on the phone. Archaic.

If you've ever been calmly looking through a stack of records at a thrift and had to put up with some grey haired pony-tailed, Hawiian-shirt and cargo short wearing asshole immediately start doing the "annoyed breathing" ........... typically the guys that show up at 4AM with a flashlight ..........

I thought you were talking about me at first, I have grey hair and wear cargo shorts sometimes, but no ponytail, no Hawiian shirt, and the only time I breathed hard at a thrift store is when I was carrying out a set of CS-99a speakers and SX-838 receiver.

If you've ever been calmly looking through a stack of records at a thrift and had to put up with some grey haired pony-tailed, Hawiian-shirt and cargo short wearing asshole ...

That's me on a Saturday, except for the asshole part; life's too short to be one.

Back
Top Bottom