Polydome replacement

Anyone going to pull the trigger on them to see what they sound like?
Looks like you could easily mod these by using a round scissors and cutting the dome off about 1/8th of an inch from the coil or inner roll and add any material dust cap to it with good speaker repair glue and still have the fabric edge surround that will last a life time, I'm thinking way too far ahead Lol they might sound good as they are.

Last edited:
I see they have quite a few replacement type drivers.
We all know there's lots of bad polydomes out there so nice to see those.
I wonder if there is a big enough market for them to consider making Walsh tweeters.
Might not be, also wonder if rights to produce them would be a problem.
I see a lot of really beat up Walsh tweeters during my internet travels.

Midwest Speaker Repair just released an Acoustic Research 3/4" dome tweeter, for use in AR3a's (and others). That's another driver fans have been wanting for years. Plus, I see they also have Emit-R's. It's nice to see that someone is finally supporting these classic speakers. I just hope these 'OEM' drivers live up to the hype, and sound good.

Somebody finally got smart. Good on them and they did it in 4 ohm like the originals. I’m betting they’re going to sound great. I see a lot of the originals hitting the landfill soon :oops:.

Was going to post this but okeeteekid beat me to it.

So this post isn't a total waste, here's a link to the same driver on their website.

They do seem to have cloned it pretty closely; the frame shape looks identical, as does the terminal placement. Only thing is that the dome appears to be made of cloth, so the sound may differ significantly. If not, good news for us Kappa owners - the Polydome has really been the weak spot in these speakers.

Just ordered two. Will update!
I spoke with the guy through email and he said they are a little louder than the stock polydomes so you will have to lower them a few notches with the L pad to sound the same volume.
He said they sound smoother and had more detail than the originals, if this is true then they are an excellent replacement, I can't wait till you test them.

:banana::banana::banana: :beerchug: Wow only 89 bucks a piece . Looking forward to hearing sagebugs review .
Love my Kappa 6.1 .. ( only thing im not crazy about is that while I love the look in black , the white dome sticks out like sore thumb . Black dome would be perfect .!
YAAAAY What kind of magnet does the polydome use ? ( neodymium ? ) . Wonder what magnet this replacement uses . Would that matter at all ?

BTW, if you buy four or more directly from their website, the price drops to $81 each, and shipping is cheaper as well.

Back
Top Bottom