Infinity Monitor II speakers thoughts.

From what I can tell the cone was glued to the remaining dust cap. Sits right on the edge of it.
So it's an 8 ohm 1" tweeter with the center portion of its dust cap removed.
The tweeter basically plays as a normal tweeter, the cone glued to the remaining dust cap and acts as 360 degree dispersion/transmission line?

So it's an 8 ohm 1" tweeter with the center portion of its dust cap removed.
The tweeter basically plays as a normal tweeter, the cone glued to the remaining dust cap and acts as 360 degree dispersion/transmission line?
Simple & ingenious.

Just checking the other drivers. Yes, one of the mid drivers is not playing. Pulled it and shows open. :(
Ok. Pulled the midrange and checked it with my meter. Reading 8.5 ohms, so it's not dead. Something internal may be loose or bad on x-over.

Last edited:
Makes me wonder if the guy on the bay actual repairs the existing tweeter or just replaces it with a new one.

Well, I put the midrange after I metered it and tested for sound, yes it plays. I metered the mid wires and I got about a 110 ohm reading. What would cause that?

Did you measure ONLY the wires, or were there capacitors, resitors, inductors, l-pads in the circuit as well?
If ONLY the wire, sounds like possible really bad wire corrosion?
Some Infinity l-pads are known for getting heavily corroded as well.

Did you measure ONLY the wires, or were there capacitors, resitors, inductors, l-pads in the circuit as well?
If ONLY the wire, sounds like possible really bad wire corrosion?
I measured at the ends of the mid wires, hooked another speaker to them and no sound. Then I metered the wire end spades, so anything from speaker inputs to the wire ends was in the path. I'll have to pull the woofer to see what's all there.

I just talked to "Infinity" to see if they had a substitute tweeter body that would match the specs of the old 902-0060 or 0033 tweeter. No dice.

On reading Glorocks description he attached the cone to voice coil after cutting off the dome, which seems to imply he cut off all of the dome. Now the one tweeter base I have still has a circle piece of the dome outer edge left that the cone was glued to. I'm a little ignorant on the physics. So, is the dome remnant attached to the voice coil so the remaining dome transmits the vibrations to the cone. Is that correct? The Parts Express tweeter Dayton Audio DC28F-8 that he recommended is still available and I plan to try this very soon.

Last edited:
On a typical soft dome tweeter, the voice coil is normally attached to the dome, which is attached to the diaphragm which keeps the voice coil centered in the gap.
On the Walsh tweeter, I image the dome would still be attached to the voice coil and phlange to keep the voice coil centered.
Unless of course the voice coil is attached to the Walsh cone which itself is centering the voice coil as it is glued to the diaphragm.
Like I said I've never inspected a dismantled Walsh tweeter and I can't seem to visualize how it's attached by written accounts.

Here the other WTL. I think is the first, early design and parts. Similar to the other in that the dome has center cut out and the cone was glued to it.

IMG_1092a.JPG IMG_1093b.JPG

That's what i believe it is. The other is a soft rubber dome. make me wonder what the sound difference there would be and if you could tell any difference.
I'd think so.
From looking at this pic the cone simply fits over the dome.

Inventory on hand?
I'd think a metal dome would be ideal for a super tweeter such as the Infinity Walsh.
Kinda what I was thinking. The trick will be finding the correct size at an affordable price.

Back
Top Bottom