Show me your CABLES!! Please...

I don't think it's a good idea to have the inductors very close to driver's magnets.

Usually when we layout crossovers, the way inductors are placed is important (nulling the effect), I'll try to get a link.
No need for a link.
My inductors are not near the drivers, they are as far as they can be in a mini-monitor.

I think you might have misunderstood me.

OK, calm it down here.

This thread is about showing your cables (photos would be good unless you are close by and can show in person) and sharing your cable journey (telling what you have done).

If you want a discussion on cable issues (what you want to resolve) or other cable-related technical concerns (what you might be interested in exploring or hashing out), please start a new thread.

427 ,
You have exhibited excellent taste in your choices throughout the entire system..
congratulations on your work,, I may have to use your system as a template for future upgrades..
Oh yeah , Cables look great!!!
Thank you that's really nice to say. I like yours too, and digging on the blue speakers and the SQ you posted in the video thread.

Thanks, I believe I made some decent (safe) choices within my budget ($1500 ea. piece)
I'm still very new and interested in learning about all ( new to me) types ..of interesting equipment..
Speakers - O/B , Planars , Old School,
Amps - Tubes , Digital, SS, DIY
Cables - DIY , filters, Ends

I'm planning on going to Burning Amp (S.F.) next month to gain some confidence in making my own..
Never been before, not too far.
I'm out of Fresno area..

I'm planning on going to Burning Amp (S.F.) next month to gain some confidence in making my own..
Never been before, not too far.
I'm out of Fresno area..
Well maybe come on by when your in the area, I alway welcome AKers

I just Found at the Thrift Store(1.49)a New in the Blister Pack a Set of Acoustic Research RCA Cables 6'
I've Never Seen These Before.......:idea:
41615CDAJZL._SY300_.jpg
plavcab6.jpg

,Mike. :smoke:

I think I got some of the same on clearance from Parts Express. High quality and sound nice, but very tight. I mangled the RCAs on a Phase Linear 1000. On some other components, they insert OK.

I am using Neutrik Powercon connectors for a DIY amp project. They lock positively when inserted and this model is rated for 20 amps. I can't imagine going back to IEC plugs after trying this. It's very nice. Sound quality yet to be determined, but I don't expect any issues.
rps20170930_214647.jpg rps20170930_214808.jpg rps20170930_214732.jpg
The male wall plug is heavy duty, but otherwise ordinary. The cable is 12g but has a reasonably small cross section. From Lowes.

Just made these this week, picked up some speaker cable from my local audio store and made me some speaker cables, bananas on one end and pins on the other. They're going to see duty on my new (to me) Sansui AU-9500, feeding a pair of ProAc Studio 125's.

Transparent 14 AWG:

IMG_8162.JPG

Listening presently to the new setup and it sure sounds sweet! :music:

I think I got some of the same on clearance from Parts Express. High quality and sound nice, but very tight. I mangled the RCAs on a Phase Linear 1000. On some other components, they insert OK.

Just bought 2 sets of these from Parts Express, says AV cable since there is 3 wires but they should be fine for audio I hope....:)

Here's mine... A motley bunch, for sure:

52" Bohlender Graebner ribbons, selected by Tom Bohlender himself.
Dayton Titanic Series I 12" woofers
Emotiva XDA-2
Emotiva UPA1 (4), running 350WRMS into 4 ohms.
Behringer 2496 crossover (mods in the "savings bucket", to be added soon... )
Basic balanced cables
Ribbon cables are teflon insulated, silver plated, random "braids", effective gauge = #12
Woofer cables are the braid, stripped from above silver wire, pulled taught and wrapped. Effective gauge = #8

Makes me happy, though.
View attachment 1013422 View attachment 1013423 View attachment 1013424 View attachment 1013425
Out of sheer curiosity, what were you watching?

I wasn't sure, so I did some digging. The name Nick Searcy, as Stan, found me on IMDB, and as an educated guess, that would be "Castaway". I wanted to say "The Shawshank Redemption" (one of the finest examples of epic-movie-making-movies of all time...), but I thought accurate info was more important than a SWAG. :lurk::lurk:

A cable thread! How did I miss this?

The thing is, after arbitrary figure of 50 bucks, there are no sonic differences if the cable is built properly to defined spec for the application.
If someone wants to spend more for something awesome, go for it!

One can argue that all you want. The science that made it possible for us to even discuss it says so. Think about it before you two keep arguing.

Cable risers. Why are the all so ugly? There has to be a better way.

Don't get me wrong pls.
I love seeing the cables, keep them coming.

Quoted for truth:thumbsup:. No doubt until one's system reaches a certain point those $50 cables are adequate as differences are tough if not impossible to hear at that level. But once the rig gets pushed to or beyond that certain point of refinement the sonic benefits of better quality cabling is there to be reaped and impossible to deny or overlooked.

This thread is about showing your cables (photos would be good unless you are close by and can show in person) and sharing your cable journey (telling what you have done).

If you want a discussion on cable issues (what you want to resolve) or other cable-related technical concerns (what you might be interested in exploring or hashing out), please start a new thread.

If I'd seen this thread I'd have never started my thread on the 'aesthetic virtues' of premium cables.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/cable-pr0n.788257/
Don't mind if it's merged here anyway--I put it in the wrong forum frankly.
However, this thread says show me your cables and those weren't mine.

I don't know the science too well but can vouch for the $50 neighborhood being a real inflection point.
Even if I didn't like the way so many nice cables look, when I first replaced a really cheap crappy old patch cord with a $50 interconnect I was stunned at the difference in sound quality.

It's like so many other aspects: diminishing returns set in, at points each of us determines for himself, and I for one enjoy seeing (and sometimes hearing) just about everything people do above (or even below) my own inflection points.

I just finished putting these two pair together tonight. They use twin flat copper conductors and a floating shield, the arrows show which end the shield is attached to.
View attachment 1056682
Very nice! What cable did you use? Or did you make up the cable yourself?

I haven't yet made a move on my own DIY cables yet, but am leaning heavily towards Cardas litz-wire coax and KLEI copper RCA plugs. I'm still open to looking at other all-copper cabling solutions, but well beyond that bulk Belden stuff.

I assembled them myself, I work for a company that makes audio cables and they let me use the discontinued stuff to make cables for my own use. The wire is custom made to there specifications. I have thought about making my own custom wire configuration, it's fun to experiment with different wire and I have found there to be subtle differences in some wire types.
For an audiophile, that has to be one of the world's luckiest jobs. ;) Nice!

How do you guys mark your cables?

I had used masking tape but it seems to fade, lose its stickiness and fall off, which makes swapping components a bit of a hassle.

index.php

I just Found at the Thrift Store(1.49)a New in the Blister Pack a Set of Acoustic Research RCA Cables 6'
I've Never Seen These Before.......:idea:
41615CDAJZL._SY300_.jpg
plavcab6.jpg

,Mike. :smoke:
Those cables were originally sold around twenty years ago or so. They were highly recommended by Sam Tellig of Stereophile at the time. They were economical and worked quite well.

Back
Top Bottom