sharing vinyl rips

shrinkboy

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
i've been making vinyl to cd mixes for a long time, and when i want to share them, i just burn a disc and hand it off to my friends. but, there's just got to be some way making that transfer over the web, but i'm stumped. i've created playlists in iTunes, and have exported same to Spotify, but if the file doesn't exist on the recipients' hard drive, then it won't fly. seems much harder to me than it should be.

anybody have the downlow?

Working under the assumption that you are in fact legally sharing your own material or true public domain material, I would suggest a site that hosts non-music (read that generic) files. Something like a bit torrent service gets a bad name, but they do have legitimate legal uses. Otherwise there are plenty of sites that will host a file of any type. Heck, why not share it through Google Drive? Just upload a CD image or even a file containing the compressed or uncompressed track(s).
These are just some starter thoughts, and I am in no way condoning breaking any laws. Stay within the legal parameters and enjoy.

i've created playlists in iTunes, and have exported same to Spotify, but if the file doesn't exist on the recipients' hard drive,
Said recipients must have a Spotify Premium account for your "exports" to show up. Then it's easy peasy to share and/or use collaborative playlists. :)

Why would you just use google drive, box or some other free service?
Erm.....Per Google, et. al.

"Respect copyright laws.? Do not share copyrighted content without authorization or provide links to sites where your readers can obtain unauthorized downloads of copyrighted content. It is our policy to respond to clear notices of alleged copyright infringement. Repeated infringement of intellectual property rights, including copyright, will result in account termination."

:)

And if you use Spotify - it would be considered a broadcast and you have to pay a royalty on the music.
Anyone that has a Spotify Premium account can "share" Spotify's entire library/personal playlists all they want with other subscribers. :)

But album rips comes under other issues. This is one of the grey areas and Record labels have been taking Spotify to task on it. Read the 'FAIR USE' clause of the DMCA - based on that it would be considered 'broadcasting' and as such is illegal.
No grey area. Once he matches his collection/rips via Spotify, as a subscriber, then the music is legally unencumbered to share with other subscribers. In other words...the royalties are paid for on both ends of the spectrum.

As far as labels "taking task", I think you may be confusing stream ripping--which is recording the stream for later playback/sharing with those with no subscription status. That's an entirely nuther and separate issue. One that Spottily or any other service can do much of substance about.

Thanks but I'm quite familiar with the Fair Use clause as well as the DMCA.:)

Last edited:
OK, i see on YouTube all the time guys sharing rips of rare vintage vinyl - how is that done?

OK, i see on YouTube all the time guys sharing rips of rare vintage vinyl - how is that done?
Nothing prevents a user from uploading content to YouTube.

It’s up to copyright owners to decide whether or not others can reuse their original material. If they deem that an upload is violating their copyright they can file an infringement claim. If that claim is validated then the content will be taken down from YouTube. This flags the account with a copyright strike. After 3 strikes the account is subject to termination. The account holder also runs the risk of litigation should the copyright owner decide to sue.

It's a dice roll. The stakes range from a relatively mild slap on the wrist warning/termination (most common) to getting bitch slapped by losing a very expensive judgment (repeat and egregious offenders).
Your call whether to rock & roll.

:banana::deal::(

Is no one going to accept that perhaps what the man has is out of copyright?
I am just saying - because it was put on record at some point in history, we should not assume that what is being discussed is some form of infringement or piracy.
What happened to the phrase "innocent until proven guilty" - there should be no need to make this a discussion about copyright laws. (In fact, I would view that as thread crapping.)
The OP did not ask about anything specifically illegal or even truly questionable. Let's try to answer what he did ask.

Is no one going to accept that perhaps what the man has is out of copyright?
Fair question. Yet unless he is using an ADC that is compatible with a Gramophone*, his 'vinyl' is most likely still covered under a copyright. :)

I am just saying - because it was put on record at some point in history, we should not assume that what is being discussed is some form of infringement or piracy.
"For works published after 1977, the copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years. However, if the work is a work for hire (that is, the work is done in the course of employment or has been specifically commissioned) or is published anonymously or under a pseudonym, the copyright lasts between 95 and 120 years, depending on the date the work is published.

All works published in the United States *before 1923 are in the public domain. Works published after 1922, but before 1978 are protected for 95 years from the date of publication. If the work was created, but not published, before 1978, the copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years." -- SUL

What happened to the phrase "innocent until proven guilty" - there should be no need to make this a discussion about copyright laws. (In fact, I would view that as thread crapping.)
Really? Gee, that seems harsh. No one said he was breaking the law. Myself and others are simply noting some relevant information to be taken under advisement.
:angel:
The OP did not ask about anything specifically illegal or even truly questionable. Let's try to answer what he did ask.
"We" did. Google drive as well as other free cloud drives were offered as a solution. --Provided of course the music was copyright free.

If you're considering uploading your rips on youtube...

This video is a fair warning of what you might run up against (no affiliation whatsoever)

I am not looking to pick a fight over it, the point was more that he had no real responses until I dredged it up, and at that point it got pulled in a direction that was not the intent of the first post.
I get annoyed all the time on various forums when I ask a question and someone tells me "disregard what you said - I have another idea!"
Car forums are the worst I frequent. Everyone is pushing their agenda or idea.
Now I will quit pulling it in another direction. Apologies to all about that.

As far as I am concerned, sharing a recording (essentially a copy) of a copyrighted work with others is wrong, likely illegal and just plain wrong.

It's broadcasting and/or a public performance and as such you need permission from the copyright owner. It's pretty clear.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom