Google Assistant and Apple Music

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
The frustration of trying to get Siri to play Kay Kyser, what did I get, Play Closer, photo’s, Turn Kaiser, Terry Kaiser, Closer, Booze Blow.....ARRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!! (Think Sam Kinnison)

So I went to Google Assistant. Please Play Kay Kyser......It nailed it the first time. But then I had a young ladies voice come on “Sorry I can’t play Kay Kyser you have not designated a default music player please go to the settings, what!!! I went to the settings and there was Apple Music made it my default player. Than; Please Play Kay Kyser seconds later I was listening to Ole Buttermilk Sky. The only limitation is the music must be on the device, not in Apple Music’s cloud. Then just for grins, please Play Khachaturian, Google Assistant nailed it I have never been able to get Siri to understand Khachaturian not once.

Last edited:
The frustration of trying to get Siri to play Kay Kyser, what did I get, Play Closer, photo’s, Turn Kaiser, Terry Kaiser, Closer, Booze Blow.....ARRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!! (Think Sam Kinnison)

So I went to Google Assistant. Please Play Kay Kyser......It nailed it the first time. But then I had a young ladies voice come on “Sorry I can’t play Kay Kyser you have not designated a default music player please go to the settings, what!!! I went to the settings and there was Apple Music made it my default player. Than; Please Play Kay Kyser seconds later I was listening to Ole Buttermilk Sky. The only limitation is the music must be on the device, not in Apple Music’s cloud. Then just for grins, please Play Khachaturian, Google Assistant nailed it I have never been able to get Siri to understand Khachaturian not once.
Interesting. I didn't know that Google Assistant worked with music apps on iOS. I subscribe to Youtube Red, so I have a subscription to Google Play that I don't use. I tested this with your examples above and it played music by these artists (not in my library) using Assistant with Google Play without an issue.

Siri/Apple Music gets most artists I listen to correct, but it does have issues with some artists, especially those that have little current popularity with non-English names. They do understand words like Pavarotti and Tchaikovsky, but they have a hard time with the more obscure.

That being said, I think it will have little effect on my music listening habits. I will just ask for Pops Cavier if I want to listen to Russian Orchestras.

That is my problem my musical tastes are not often in the mainstream. It is to bad the snit between Apple and Amazon continues, Amazon Prime Music would be nice.

I do wish it would work with the App Equalizer Pro. I have 52 gig’s of FLAC music files in it.

Last edited:
That is my problem my musical tastes are not often in the mainstream. It is to bad the snit between Apple and Amazon continues, Amazon Prime Music would be nice.

I do wish it would work with the App Equalizer Pro. I have 52 gig’s of FLAC music files in it.
Amazon is not friendly with Google or Apple. When I ordered my Chromecast Audio, I could not get it on Amazon.

However, Apple doesn't give Siri access to other music apps on iOS, so it would be on the outside looking in like every other service when it comes to voice control. It is pretty cool that Google Assistant can control Google Music, but they may be restricted to putting in links to their own apps. For me, even though Google is better at accessing certain artists, GA isn't available on the Apple Watch and it doesn't work just by saying "OK Google" on iOS like "Hey Siri" works, so it is just an extra couple of steps that make it less likely that I will use the feature for music very often. Most of the time when I use voice control for audio it is when I don't want to reach for the phone, so having to open the phone to use Google Assistant defeats the main purpose. When I am lounging around on the couch with phone/iPad in hand, I will typically just use the AM app.

I would love to see Apple Music or Google Play Music become available on the Echo, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

I would just batch convert that FLAC music to ALAC and call it a day (leaving a copy of the FLAC file on the drive if you think you will need it for another player). I did that years ago so I could get my lossless music on the 160GB Classic and it saved me a lot of headaches.

Amazon is not friendly with Google or Apple. When I ordered my Chromecast Audio, I could not get it on Amazon.

However, Apple doesn't give Siri access to other music apps on iOS, so it would be on the outside looking in like every other service when it comes to voice control. It is pretty cool that Google Assistant can control Google Music, but they may be restricted to putting in links to their own apps. For me, even though Google is better at accessing certain artists, GA isn't available on the Apple Watch and it doesn't work just by saying "OK Google" on iOS like "Hey Siri" works, so it is just an extra couple of steps that make it less likely that I will use the feature for music very often. Most of the time when I use voice control for audio it is when I don't want to reach for the phone, so having to open the phone to use Google Assistant defeats the main purpose. When I am lounging around on the couch with phone/iPad in hand, I will typically just use the AM app.

I would love to see Apple Music or Google Play Music become available on the Echo, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

I would just batch convert that FLAC music to ALAC and call it a day (leaving a copy of the FLAC file on the drive if you think you will need it for another player). I did that years ago so I could get my lossless music on the 160GB Classic and it saved me a lot of headaches.

I started to convert my FLAC file to ALAC but when I found the Equalizer Pro App I stopped doing it when Apple Music came along and made the addition of personal music files a nightmare Equalizer Pro is where I put them now and as a music player EP is fantastic. It is available for both iOS and Android

iOS
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/equalizer-pro-flac-ogg-mp3-player-with-best-eq/id505170168?mt=8

Android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.soundappsfree.equalizer&hl=en

It is to bad the snit between Apple and Amazon continues, Amazon Prime Music would be nice.
I may be missing what you mean here exactly but Amazon Music works with Apple/iOS and it seems fairly un-snitty to me. Especially so now that you can use Alexa from within in the Amazon Music iOS app. Bonus. :)

The snit is still continues with Amazon Prime on the Apple TV. I thought this was going to end with the latest tvOS. Amazon Prime was on my earlier Apple TV but there was a disagreement over what Apple was charging for hosting it on the Apple TV.

The snit is still continues with Amazon Prime on the Apple TV. I thought this was going to end with the latest tvOS. Amazon Prime was on my earlier Apple TV but there was a disagreement over what Apple was charging for hosting it on the Apple TV.
Didn't they announce that Amazon Movies were coming to AppleTV soon? I thought I saw that somewhere....WWDC? I bet they still won't have Amazon Music, though.

Yes that is the same thing I thought but with the tvOS update it didn’t appear. I have a Fire Stick so it is a moot point but it would be nice to have it on the Apple TV.

Back
Top Bottom