Should the U.S. dump the Penny?

Should the U.S. dump the penny?

• Yes

Votes: 43 67.2%
  • No

Votes: 21 32.8%

• Total voters

tyeeslayer

A few years ago we here in Canada got rid of the penny. Not only because it was worthless but it cost more to produce then it was worth.
Yes at first we had the nay sayers but years later I have not heard anyone say they miss it.
Is it time our southern neighbors follow suit?

I had to vote no. For starters, Penny was born in the U.S. and is therefore a citizen. So, we can't dump her. Besides that, it's impossible to date an entire country and being dumped by all of us would be seriously demoralizing. :D

Seriously, it doesn't matter to me. I flipped a coin. Heads: no, tails: yes. Came up heads. It would take a little getting used to at first, but after a while it would probably be fine.

While guilders situation the cent was already not used anymore, introducing the Euro one was forced to use the eurocent again in my country.
Apart from the cost, it is very inefficient to have so much different coins. It takes time each transaction.

Nowadays in the Netherlands the 1 cent and 2 cent coins are out of use. I think a few coutries did not use the Eurocents right from the beginning.

They were a bit smarter, since over here, some shops had to adapt for more coins at the moment Euro was introduced. Some other Euro countries they still do cents.
Now, the system works fine this way.

Although we see small amounts wireless paying coming up, so less and less coins, anyway.

I had to vote no. For starters, Penny was born in the U.S. and is therefore a citizen. So, we can't dump her. Besides that, it's impossible to date an entire country and being dumped by all of us would be seriously demoralizing. :D

Seriously, it doesn't matter to me. I flipped a coin. Heads: no, tails: yes. Came up heads. It would take a little getting used to at first, but after a while it would probably be fine.
It would destroy "the big bang theory" ;)

I was stationed on Crete in the 80's. The BX on base had dropped the use of pennies back then already. We survived.

Why is the nickel twice the size of the dime, and worth only half as much ?

The 'powers that be' should consult us about these things.

Penny's are mostly zinc, and cost more than a penny to make. The only people who profit from this is the metal industries. You do the math.

But what would we put in our loafers?

Mmmm.... I don't know. Feet maybe ? :rolleyes:

To the question at hand, certainly the penny can be dumped. For that matter maybe nickles and dimes too.

I've gotta say over the past 5 years or so my use of any cash in regular transactions has tapered off drastically. I hardly ever use cash at stores. i think i'm still carrying around the same $80 (4 x $20) in my wallet that have been in there since August.

I haven't used coins to pay for something in years. Sure, I get them back on the few cash transactions I make, like buying a soda, but I haven't pulled one out of my pocket since Bazooka bubble gum was one cent. They pile up in a jar until I go to the grocery store and dump them in the machine for Amazon credit.

I can see both side....Yeah, they ARE a PITA, & if you have a pocketful of 'em, you still have hardly any value at all. However, getting/collecting a complete"Penny Book" is still a kick for us budding "Numismatic" types... Back then, a "Short Set" was like from 1959 on.. A Kid could raid yr Mama's pocketbook & do fairly well..

Just stop minting new ones until we start running low. BTW, I think the use of the $2 bill should be promoted. What the heck can you buy for a buck anymore? And, deuces are lucky, too.

We did away with the 1 cent and 2 cent piece a while back, 5 cent pieces gather in folks draws,glove boxes and astray and rarely do people bother with them so they might go next. We changed from notes to coins for the $1 and $2 a while ago also.

Penny for ya' thoughts?

'Get out or here!', that's the only thought you get for a penny.
;)

BTW, when are you guys going to switch to the metric system? :biggrin:

Penny's are mostly zinc, and cost more than a penny to make. The only people who profit from this is the metal industries. You do the math.

Jarden Zinc manufactures the zinc blanks for US pennies in Greeneville TN. The local economy here in NE Tennessee would suffer if production stopped.

I think the first time I heard this question I was about 10 years old. My other favorite: Should the US switch to the metric system?

No. The minute you ban the penny, prices will rise on everything. What used to be $9.99 will become $10.00 overnight.

What are we waiting for??? I do voice-overs for local commercial spots and I hate having to say "499.99" over and over again... It would also do away with the pesky 88 prices... 1188.88 it's a nightmare...... and that's English! Try doing them in Spanish!!!!!!! I want to kill people after having to say "noventa y nueve" (that's SIX syllables) and "ochenta y ocho" at the end of all the prices.

Back
Top Bottom