Thanks ups for destroying what I thought were unbreakable speakers

gentlejax

I sold 6 electro voice indoor/outdoor speakers to a guy. He needed them shipped ASAP. It was short time frame but I boxed them 2 per box. Bubble wrapped slightly with peanuts in all spaces making everything tight. Insured all 3 boxes. I used heavy duty duck tape to strengthen the boxes and I thought the boxes pretty secured.

Well all three boxes had damaged speakers. Exterior was fun but they had been slammed so hard the transformers that were bolted on to the interior of the box were bent at the mounts and wires ripped out between the crossovers and transformers. Apparently everyone who handled them dropped it even though just 40lb boxes.

So I filed a claim. They were going to pick up but buyer refused so then they asked for pics. So he sent pics and they denied the claims because the boxes were not double walled , not enough wrap , and use of peanuts.

So I’m beyond mad. The matter in which they handled the boxes and the excuses they used to worm out of insureance really has hacked me.

I’ve had few dozen amps delivered too me. I doubt any of them would pass thier refs on shipping.

I hate them. $1800 worth of speakers would have been fine if they had some men with balls working thier.

No further explanation needed.

I’ve gotten brand new merchandise with comparable protection that would never have withstood the abuse they handed out.

Not saying I did the best, I’ve been shipping things for 15yrs and this was my first claim. Ever.

I’m just saying I didn’t know they treated boxes like they used to treat samsonite suitcases in those samsonite commercials.

Sorry for your loss...
This is how I've shipped speakers: Wrap each speaker seperately with minimum of two layers bubble wrap (not peanuts), filling all the spaces. Then double-box each speaker, with bubble wrap or foam padding in between the boxes. I've shipped many items like this, with the items received at their final location with the outer box damaged, bubble wrap exposed, but the inner box and speaker intact.

Last edited:
I never use UPS anymore. They left a preamp I sold at the front door in the hallway of the buyers apartment building. As far as I'm concerned they are dumb as a sack of door knobs. There are several sites devoted to how horrible their service is. THEY SUCK!

I understand it was partially my fault. I’ve not shipped speakers. These were not very big. Being made of abs I thought they would be near unbreable.

I didn’t account for heavy transformers inside the case. I was thinking it’s like car plastic. Takes a lot of abuse.

I imagine a ups employee could sink the titanic if they wouldn’t get into trouble for it.

I quit using UPS years ago on account of their unnecessarily rough handling .
Been using FedEx exclusively and no damage .
I do know how to properly pack.
With UPS there was still no excuse for seeing smashed corners or torn outer box surfaces.

Bob

I stopped using UPS after something I shipped insured was damaged and UPS denied the claim. Pictures I showed them on how it was double boxed with foam core and bubble rape didn't help my case. I immediately stopped using them and I am sure it greatly impacted their bottom line. Now I use FedEx for all my heavy bulky items. Much better service IMO.

I stopped using UPS after something I shipped insured was damaged and UPS denied the claim. Pictures I showed them on how it was double boxed with foam core and bubble rape didn't help my case. I immediately stopped using them and I am sure it greatly impacted their bottom line. Now I use FedEx for all my heavy bulky items. Much better service IMO.
Ya gotta just hate that "bubble rape":eek: but FedEx isn't really much better than UPS and you certainly don't want any of their feeble minded employees packing anything for you. When it comes to packing, do it yourself and do it right. Avoid that "bubble rape.":rolleyes:

Bubble wrapped slightly with peanuts in all spaces making everything tight .

Peanuts will compress from heavy items during movement in shipping. What may have been tight when you packed them would not stay that way in transit. Hopefully you've learned something for the next time.

During college I was a part time UPS shipper for an RV and trailer supply warehouse. Learning to pack properly on the job i once packed light bulbs in the same box as some hitch balls and not proper padded. Needles to say the light bulbs didn't make the trip.and the hitch balls were undamaged.

Last edited:
During college I was a part time UPS shipper for an RV and trailer supply warehouse. Learning to pack properly on the job i once packed light bulbs in the same box as some hitch balls and not proper padded. Needles to say the light bulbs didn't make the trip.and the hitch balls were undamaged.

:rflmao:

On a similar note, a kind AKer once sent me the drivers out of a console he was parting out, for the cost of shipping. Unfortunately the tweeters were not secured in any particular way, and the 15" woofer had nothing covering its face (like a piece of cardboard for example). The whole kit and kaboodle was not packed very tight either. Things got to moving around and those tweeters hammered the crap out of the woofer cone. :bye:

Back
Top Bottom