Who's listening online? And with what?

I listening to Internet radio (Pandora) this way. I use a Grace Reciva, going from the analog outputs to an ADC box. From there straight to the DAC in my McIntosh C2500 preamp. This works quite well, surprisingly.

If you ever have a chance, catch Hutcherson's great, obscure album "Cruisin' The Bird." The CD is prohibitively expensive, and it's never been issued digitally as far as I know. I have it on vinyl, and by itself it's almost enough to make me maintain a turntable. (It was on Landmark, which - Wikipedia helpfully tells me - is now owned by Nippon Columbia. A reissue of the label is in order.)

s.

We're finally getting a soaking rain here after one of the driest summers on record. It's gray, cool - well, 70s - and I've switched off the world's troubles, "Morning Edition" from WRVO out of Oswego, NY, to a Pandora station I made a while back based on Andrew Hill. It's the right music for such a day.

s.

logo_purple_1610_1400x1400_q0.jpg

Ken Wiley's "The Art of Jazz", on KPLU. What a great show, has been a Sunday favorite for 30-odd years. Venerable call letters, but no longer applicable to Pacific Lutheran University, sadly, so soon to be replaced.

Sonos->QUADs.

Screenshot_2016-08-21-15-21-12.png

iPad>Sonos app>Tunein>Audiophile Baroque (Athens, Greece)>Marantz 7c>Marantz 8>Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage. Mmmmmmmm.

Glenn Gould "Works By Berg/Krenek/Webern/Ravel & Debussy" Spotify -> the Sonos app -> the Play:1s

s.

Amazon Music->Echo Dot->ONIX A120->QUAD ESL-63s

Sympathizing with MB, whose 3-year old son was recently diagnosed with cancer. :(

Screenshot_20161105-092738.png

Politics today, with my Amazon Tap. It's the 2010s equivalent of a portable radio, so while I cleaned the garage and swept the deck I listened to the POTUS channel on SiriusXM.

About the Tap: the reviews I read generally said it doesn't sound as good as a lot of portable bluetooth speakers, which may be true - I don't have much experience - but it's really not bad, at least to my 61 year old ears. I listen to politics, other news, some sports, Pandora and a couple of classical radio stations and have never felt like I'm missing something.

And talking to your computer feels weird for about 30 seconds, and then seems like the most natural thing in the world.

The biggest weakness: podcast discovery generally sucks, and it's hard (at least I'm having trouble) to ask for specific albums on Spotify.

I hope now that Sonos adds voice control directly into a speaker like the Play:1.

s.

They've just announced the Sonos One, which is an updated version of the Play:1 with far field mics and Alexa built in. Airplay 2, Siri and Google voice control coming next year.

Meanwhile, the Sonos 8.0 app is out, I'm controlling Sonos via Alexa now, directly, no more analog link required. Alexa, play some jazz in the living room. Simple, fully integrated into Alexa. Discover Sonos devices just like Echo devices via the Alexa app.

Sadly, only the services supported by Echo are integrated, so no voice control (yet) for Apple Music or Google Music. You can bet they'll be enabled as soon as Siri and Google voice systems are integrated, though.

They've just announced the Sonos One, which is an updated version of the Play:1 with far field mics and Alexa built in. Airplay 2, Siri and Google voice control coming next year.

Meanwhile, the Sonos 8.0 app is out, I'm controlling Sonos via Alexa now, directly, no more analog link required. Alexa, play some jazz in the living room. Simple, fully integrated into Alexa. Discover Sonos devices just like Echo devices via the Alexa app.

Sadly, only the services supported by Echo are integrated, so no voice control (yet) for Apple Music or Google Music. You can bet they'll be enabled as soon as Siri and Google voice systems are integrated, though.
Are you sure it will have Siri support? The article I read did not mention Siri.

Back
Top Bottom