Sansui AU-7900 - Big POP when Powered off ONLY with Tone Control ON

Bias was dialed-in correctly a couple of weeks back. I'll recheck it.

I'll post the other findings tonight. Thanks

Last edited:
A spark means either Hi current or Hi voltage being removed from a load.. at amp idle you should have neither....

Ok so how does this work?
How can you hear a POP when the protect relay drops out instantly ?
Is it possible that the protect relay has arced? and is not releasing as fast as needed??

I have been watching this thread hoping for a clue for an issue I am going to be chasing. I have a 7900Z receiver doing the exact same thing.

So it can happen. I don't see how though. DC offset is 14mv, but with tone on, a very loud pop on power off. Relay opens instantly.
Both channels. Tone off, no pop.

My first thought is power supply issue because it's in both channels, or a bad ground.

Time will tell, I hope.

Rob

The power supply is OK it's just a tad high. Not quite sure if that is significant but its not wildly off and it is consistent across all values.

When I get home I'll try the latest suggested ideas toward resolving this.

Last edited:
There is no DC offset pot in a 7900... tell me the DC voltage @ one side of R-73/74 to gnd with the amp @ idle , power on AND if there is a difference with filters on or off

To answer your other question - the amp is properly biased at 18mV.

Regarding R-73/74....I'm getting some fluctuating values of approximately -21mV, -19mV

Last edited:
Again so I'm clear the POP only happens on power off and you are in tone on or tone and filters on .. but is OK with both tone & filters off?

Wow this is strange......Measure the PS for the output section, does it glide down or DROP OUT when you kill power ??

Back
Top Bottom