Desert Eagle 357

needforspeed

The Spin Doctor
Subscriber
Recently acquired from this pistol used for home defense and a new job, Have owned a Smith and Wesson 9mm, And after shooting this gun, Am impressed with the accuracy, And minimum recoil for this caliber. Very well made in Israel. It was a big hit at the range I use. Anyway, A well done handgun, When needed.
IMG_0768.JPG

The only Desert Eagle I ever fired was chambered in .50 AE (!), it belonged to one of the range officers at a place where I used to shoot. Not a "carry gun" by any stretch, but fun to shoot.
Happy shooting ! :)

The only Desert Eagle I ever fired was chambered in .50 AE (!), it belonged to one of the range officers at a place where I used to shoot. Not a "carry gun" by any stretch, but fun to shoot.
Happy shooting ! :)

A guy we're I shoot has a stainless version. Uses it for hunting? Not my thing. Very accurate for that caliber

I've had the 44mag forever.
I don't get to shoot much anymore, but back in the day the Eagle was much better than the Ruger or Smith I had.

The weight and size of the 44 become obvious once you start shooting them.

Ever since the Eagles came out, I noticed its in almost every movie where big hand guns show up.
The barrel is obvious.

I don't get to shoot much anymore, but back in the day the Eagle was much better than the Ruger or Smith I had.

Ever since the Eagles came out, I noticed its in almost every movie where big hand guns show up.
The barrel is obvious.

A friend has a Colt Python 44 revolver, And I just don't like the impact on my somewhat small wrists, After about a dozen trigger pulls, I'm done.

I can't quite decipher the maker of those knives. Can you help with that, please?
Both are early `80s models from Cold Steel....top one is a Trailmaster Bowie (Carbon V steel), bottom one is the original Magnum Tanto (with raised spine), 9-inch blade. Both made in Japan. The Trailmaster was my first experience with a convex-edge knife, I was amazed by it`s performance. When I first got it, a friend and I torture-tested it out in my back yard, it passed with flying colors....after chopping down an 8-inch diameter tree, it still severed three inches (!) of free-hanging manila rope with a single swipe, just making a little "click" sound as the blade went through the rope....very eerie....

Yeah, Python was primarily .357 but I think there were a relatively small number of true .38s made.

I have an Anaconda (6") and can attest to it being a .44 mag. I should take a picture of it next to my S&W 686 for scale. It's a chunk of metal...as apparently you know. :)

Did Colt make a Python in .38SPL? I remember the Diamondback which looked virtually identical to the Python.

The barrel is obvious.

There is a .44 mag version at my club, I've shot it a couple times. Way more manageable than the Super Blackhawk I had but still a handful. .357 sounds just about right.

Did Colt make a Python in .38SPL? I remember the Diamondback which looked virtually identical to the Python.
In the late `70s, they did a very limited run of 8-inch barreled Pythons chambered in .38 Spl. only, intended for target use. Not many of these saw the light of day, they were sold by specialty distributors like Lew Horton, and were uber-expensive.....the Cobra and Diamondback were both .38 Spl., and other than mentioned, the Python was exclusively .357 Mag., and the Anaconda was chambered in both .44 Mag and .45 Colt....
(of course, .38 Spl. can be safely fired in any .357 revolver)

In the late `70s, they did a very limited run of 8-inch barreled Pythons chambered in .38 Spl. only, intended for target use. Not many of these saw the light of day, they were sold by specialty distributors like Lew Horton, and were uber-expensive.....the Cobra and Diamondback were both .38 Spl., and other than mentioned, the Python was exclusively .357 Mag., and the Anaconda was chambered in both .44 Mag and .45 Colt....
(of course, .38 Spl. can be safely fired in any .357 revolver)

Lew Horton, it figures. They did come up with some oddballs. I've got a Lew Horton 686 2.5" from the mid 80s.

There is a .44 mag version at my club, I've shot it a couple times. Way more manageable than the Super Blackhawk I had but still a handful. .357 sounds just about right.

I also have the Super Blackhawk in a 10 inch barrel.
Shooting the Eagle is a walk in the park compared to shooting the Blackhawk.
The hand impact from the Blackhawk is intense.
The grip on the Eagle seems stupid big until you pull the trigger.

Managing a 44 mag is a challenge period. 357 will always seems much friendlier.

The 357 is respected for good reason and it is a lot better for many actual practical uses.
The 44 mag is more of a swing for the fence and chase the 357s out of the house.

As Harry said. "...and would blow your head clean off"

Back
Top Bottom