MQA - Article on what and how

Nice read. :thumbsup:

IMHO .... Most relevant quote was first video from Mastering Engineer Eric Boulanger "Most important part is A for authentication" ... cut to the chase ... that's the main reason for opposition would be my guess (from an average consumer point of view).

Quote from article.
hi-res audio streaming can become a reality

That's why I would like to see it succeed ... but I will continue to sit on the sidelines for now ... would have to buy MQA compatible DAC & I just bought new Schiit DAC last year.

Best audio industry reason I heard to oppose was given by Jasson Stoddard & Mike Moffit (Schiit Audio).
Schiitting on MQA

IMHO ... this is how they are looking at it ... stifles innovation playing forward.

Last edited:
I just shake my head at the notion of "lossy high resolution". WTF?

I have access to MQA content via my Tidal HIFI account. Some versions are clearly sourced from different masters with differing track lengths. As Charles Hansen of Ayre observed: MQA means "more questions than answers". :)

Boilerplate MQA .. The best advertisement is that which comes masquerading as an article such as this one.

It seems that all of the audio rags are fully on board with MQA. Streophile's John Atkinson in particular is a vocal advocate. I get the sense that he has an erection when he writes about MQA. Even Michael Fremer likes it! Personally I think it's a money grab.

-Dave

I never liked the idea. I didn't like the idea when the company released a video saying how it "works". Folding high frequencies in to the noise?

I have lots of problems with that. For starters, you cannot fold something "under" the noise and expect to recover it. Once it's lost in the noise, it's lost in the noise. So this means they must be actually increasing the noise level in order to create something that can be recovered. It also sounds a lot like spectral band replication; which is never a good idea and just synths the effect of having a missing frequency range.

Any proprietary format like this is simply a way to make money. It's a bad solution to a problem that doesn't exist in my book. It's all pacebo effect.

Back
Top Bottom