Big THANKS to Colohiker for the heads up on another Fisher!

biscuithead

Me likes the eargasm retroplasm...
Audio Karma at its finest! Colohiker PMed me with a heads up on a nearby Fisher at a thrift...

I went there today and it was still there!

Pretty sure it is a '64 Dipolmat II, D-39 with a 290-T "receiver", all doc on back are missing. It is a pretty basic amp/pre/tuner, hopefully it has the MPX installed...
I just finished a 63 Futura and then this comes a knockin'...
I bought it, but only had a car, I need to return to pick it up. I pulled the badge, the headshell/cart, the knobs and spindle. The back is on good, so hopefully someone does not go a-mining before I get back with the truck to pick her up. Cosmetics are a 7/10 and I did not take pictures. It is French Provincial and looks like this: ... but slightly different...
upload_2017-10-5_13-26-53.png

Another project to prevent me from parking in the garage...

Funniest thing is that right next to it was sitting a horrible Penncrest at twice the price... I will never understand the notional pricing at thrift stores...

I can't even find a Soundwave clock radio from 1976 at my thrifts, let alone a console.

I'd have better luck finding a fisher coat than Fisher audio...

Congrats

I can't even find a Soundwave clock radio from 1976 at my thrifts, let alone a console.

I'd have better luck finding a fisher coat than Fisher audio...

Congrats
Well... let's see if it is still there and unmolested when I get back with the truck.
Thanks!

Hey you're getting good at ID'ing them. It's a Dip II. The difference in the speaker trim is due to marketing using a prototype and the trim changing for production. No problem. It's pretty low power about 8-10watts per channel using 2 ELL-80's in P-P (the ELL-80 is a twin tube so you can have one tube doing P-P.)

Got it home and unloaded by myself... pretty proud of myself. Fisher Diplomat 002.JPG

The poor fellas at the thrift put it on a cart that allowed most of the bottom trim and legs to spread apart... yeah more work.

Then it was to open up the back right away to see the goodies...
I just love seeing this for the first time in any console... and appreciating the treasure... MPX, Jensen 10s, Look at that inductor, yellow Cad, yum!
Fisher Diplomat 001.JPG

I sure hope them ELL80s have some life left in them!

This is the least exciting Fisher I have, and I am still very excited. I noticed that the inductors are labeled "short and long" to compensate for the length of wire from amp to speaker...

Despite the low power it actually sounds quite decent. I have one myself. The tuner is what you'd expect from Fisher too. No eye tube but its still a solid performer.

The ELL80 is a fairly tough little tube, and Fisher didn't run the snot out of them. Mine are perfectly fine, and the used Fisher branded ELL80s I picked up for spares are also strong. Whats in it now are Seimens, the Fishers are Telefunken I think. Or vise-versa, but both are German.

Despite the low power it actually sounds quite decent. I have one myself. The tuner is what you'd expect from Fisher too. No eye tube but its still a solid performer.

The ELL80 is a fairly tough little tube, and Fisher didn't run the snot out of them. Mine are perfectly fine, and the used Fisher branded ELL80s I picked up for spares are also strong. Whats in it now are Seimens, the Fishers are Telefunken I think. Or vise-versa, but both are German.

Gadget, What color is your little cabinet Jewel? (pilot light) This one is missing the jewel and I'd like it to be the original color...

I had an Electra (only Fisher I ever sold, regret it now) that had ELL80s.... I think this one has Lorenz and Valvo.... not original, which might lend to a longer life due to a later replacement :dunno:... I will try this weekend to find the variac and put power to her.

No cabinet, so its any color you can imagine. I just have the chassis. I occasionally use it for workshop radio duty. I need to do something to mount the antenna connections to, but it may just be a simple bracket mounted off the back. I did add the aux and tape connections through the back of the chassis on RCA jacks.

No cabinet, so its any color you can imagine. I just have the chassis. I occasionally use it for workshop radio duty. I need to do something to mount the antenna connections to, but it may just be a simple bracket mounted off the back. I did add the aux and tape connections through the back of the chassis on RCA jacks.

Green, I imagine green...
Fisher in the shop...nice. I still use a 1990s Sony that won't die, no matter how much saw dust I let drift inside.

when you've got too much stuff you put it everywhere. Thats my electronics shop area, which doubles as storage for whatever isn't in use elsewhere or stuff thats too ugly / scary to be exposed to the general public. Console amps with no bottoms, things like that live out there.

Of all my FISHER consoles that have Pilot light's on the bottom of the cabinet, all the Jewels are Green.

Biscuit, I saw a green original jewel on the auction site the other day.... No affiliation Listed under Fisher amps if I recall correctly Al

Got it home and unloaded by myself... pretty proud of myself. View attachment 1018616

The poor fellas at the thrift put it on a cart that allowed most of the bottom trim and legs to spread apart... yeah more work.

Then it was to open up the back right away to see the goodies...
I just love seeing this for the first time in any console... and appreciating the treasure... MPX, Jensen 10s, Look at that inductor, yellow Cad, yum!
View attachment 1018617

It doesn't look like the car car has seen the inside of the garage in a while.
Before you think i'm throwing stones. I've been here 10+ years and neither of my cars have ever been in the garage (2 car)

It doesn't look like the car car has seen the inside of the garage in a while.
Before you think i'm throwing stones. I've been here 10+ years and neither of my cars have ever been in the garage (2 car)

I really can get two cars in my two car garage when I don't have the console or the Franken-scalas in there... and they are on wheels. But honestly who cares, right? Let the cars see rain and snow and shine. My wife thinks that a driveway is just to facilitate a path into the garage, I think a driveway should be partially covered by my vehicles so when it snows, I have less to shovel. Mars and Venus man... both alien.

I'm actually annoyed that my garage can currently only accommodate 2 cars, a motorcycle, and a boat. It should take 3 cars and the boat. The front garage should take two bikes and the mower. Right now it has one bike and I can't get the mower out without moving it. The stuff occupying my vehicle space is not mine. Well, my radial arm saw is in that space, but its on wheels and can go somewhere else very quickly.

actually only one of the cars inside is mine. The truck is outside. Usually I have two cars inside and the truck outside, but one of the cars is elsewhere at the moment. When it moved, other junk moved into the space it left and I do not like it. I should have started to park the truck indoors just to act as a junk blocker.

Back
Top Bottom