Rega Owner's Thread

I have on my goldenote bellavista(stillll) that annoying rb-250based technoarm, but to be honest ,i think it's crap and replace it with a audiomods or jelco 750 one or buy a rega rb330 ,just to hear the sound of a standard one, but probably the jelco, since i can put it on my technics sl-1200mk5 and can use it for scratching and hifi, since i modded quite a lot on it but i need a fast vta,anti-skate hight adjust

2n8x6xg.jpg

Anyone know if an RP6 sub-platter could work in an older planar3?
It should. Just need to raise the arm accordingly. I use a TangoSpinner Lavie upgrade kit, which is for the RP6, on an old Planar 2.
-Matt

I was wondering because of the cut out in the RP6 platter. Are you using the Planar 2 platter and just had to raise the arm?

No sir. The tangospinner subplatter replaced the stock platter. I had to buy a rega vta three point height adjuster to get to the proper height.

No sir. The tangospinner subplatter replaced the stock platter.

Ok a little confused here. I assume that you used the Tangospinner RP6 subplatter to replace the stock subplatter, but my question above was about what platter you are using on top of the tango sub. Is it the stock planar 2 platter, the RP6 glass platter with the recessed center in the underside, or an aftermarket one?

Sorry about that. Yes I'm able to reuse the stock Planar 2 platter.
(note to self....have that cup of coffee first)

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,
Just acquired a Rega Planar 3 locally, picked it up along with an Onkyo home theater system with 4 Infinity speakers, and Velodyne subwoofer. Don't need those parts but maybe can sell and use proceeds for parts and repairs for the PL3.
The motor seems to be missing a plate that holds it in place and not sure of the Benz MC Silver cartridge, can't tell if it needs retipped.
Motor repair is first priority. Here are some pics, hoping I made a good choice, didn't need this as I already have 4 other nice tables.
Any thoughts recommendations are greatly appreciated. New to the Rega, will probably take to a local turntable technician for the initial assessment and set up
Thank you everyone!
Edit: Corrected typo

Rega PL3 cartridge.jpg Rega PL3 motor 00.jpg Rega PL3 motor 01.jpg Rega PL3 motor 03.jpg Rega PL3 tonearm.jpg

Additional pic, does include dust cover and belt.

Attachments

• Rega PL3 top view.jpg
    Rega PL3 top view.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 16
One thing we can all appreciate about owning a Rega are all the amazing high quality aftermarket parts. Any model can be turned into a TOTL wannabe. My RP6 is vastly better now thanks to high quality parts such as the precision GrooverTracer Subplatter c/with sapphire thrust plate, SRM Tech's excellent Silent Base for motor isolation (best Rega mod going IMO), TangoSpinner's Brass Pulley along with their superb Opal Belts, and finally the brilliant AudioMods V tonearm. With that lot installed so long ho hum, hello stunningly good!

Cartridge has been a steady progression as the table has improved. From the original Exact to an Apheta 2, then to a Dynavector 17D3, and currently a sweet Kiseki Purple Heart NS. The Apheta 2 I've moved over to the Dual 721 in the study, a highly synergistic pairing. Didn't see that one coming!

Tangospinner.jpgJS AM5.jpgbumpers on lid.JPG Dyna and base.jpg kiseki 1.JPG

Hi!,
Thank you for the response!
Extensive upgrades seems to be the case! For now I want to get it back into good working order and if some of those parts can be upgraded along the way I'll be doing that.
Motor is needed so that is an upgrade, Silent Base, TangoSpinner's pulley and Opal belt make sense.
Cartridge I have some options to try, Grace F8 and F9, Dynavector DV20x moving coil although that one is on my Linn and am pretty happy with it there.
I've got a Grace 707 arm on a Kenwood KD500 with the Grace F8. also an F9 on a KD550 with the stock arm. If anything would move the F9 to the Grace arm and put the F8 on the Planar 3.
Subplatter not sure on that, have to watch expenses and if there is a local tech who can get this done for me.
Brand new to the Rega line, have much to consider!
Looking forward to it!
Will continue researching to see what my options are.

I just acquired an RP1. I'm sort of shocked (sort of) at the hinges on the dustcover. They aren't the nice hinges that won't break with simple use.

Two questions:
1) Do all the Rega turntables (even the new P series ones) use these type of hinge.? Or, are they more like a box or leaf type cabinetmaker's hinge? These things are just not going to last! They'll snap off with use. I guess I'm spoiled by the old turntable dustcovers.

2) Secondly, the RP1 arrived with the hinges pulled away from the little rivets that hold them onto the dustcover. I don't think this is normal. They should be attached with the rivets to the dustcover, then the whole thing is lowered into the other part of the hinge assembly which is on the plinth.
How do I attach these? See the photo where you can note the hinge is not on the dustcover.

Thanks,
MWIMG_3119.JPG

I have just traded in my RP1 on a new Planar P3...which has the exact same cover and hinges...in the the three years I owned it, never had a problem with the hinges, nor did they ever pull out unless I wanted to take the cover off.

Edit: Now I see your problem...if it is a problem...cannot remember if I had to push the hinges onto my dustcover originally or not. Will they just push on or are the "swedges" to big for that?

Take a deep breath, and enjoy your new turntable! I did upgrade to the white belt but not sure it made any difference. The Rega Carbon cartridge sounds really good as well...

Why did I trade mine in? Kinda, because I could, store I originally bought it from offered full purchase price against a new higher cost model...

Edit: After only a couple days now, my observations are A) like the bigger finger lift, B) this seems quieter in as far as rumble than my RP1, C) platter certainly turns "truer" with no wobble, D) finally "manly" looking interconnect cables though alas still soldered in, E) love the glossy white finish. Not so sure about the hidden on/off switch, cuing descend seems quicker than the RP1, not really enamoured with wall-wart power supply.

Last edited:
New P6 in action now, up from a RP3 that I sold. Had a new P1 for a while till the P6 arrived. Dust cover hinges on all models were no trouble. Bill what cart are you running? P3 and P6 have the same 330 arm I think, finding my dynavector @ 9 grams is the limit on the arm, the counter weight is drawn back to the point of being over the arm edge on the back side. Also notice a very fast drop on the queuing, my RP3 with 2M was smooth and dropped allot slower. All this has me believe 9 g cart is the limit on the 330 in stock trim

Does half a Rega count? Inspire HiFi ... rega motor, 202 arm, rest is Inspire and Edwards Audio (belt & counterweight).

tt1.JPG

Custom10, I am running my venerable old ELAC 344 for a cartridge. Cannot find its weight anywhere in all the papers/specs I have, however the counterweight
is a good ways in on the arm, not all the way to the stop (like the RP1), perhaps a quarter inch back. Tracking at just under two grams (1.95 to be precise).

I went in (to the store) with two carts, determined to use one of them, though thinking I would have to buy one from him...most probably a Sumiko Pearl...but after
finally finding some screws long enough, he got the ELAC on (my first choice). It is really wonderful, and as much as I thought the Rega Carbon sounded really
good, the ELAC just blows it away. Not much background noise either (from old records).

Back in 1971, I got an ELAC 244-17 with my new Miracord 620, and it was a revelation after having run Shure (M75's) in previous tt's for so long. In Europe while
in college, I thought to purchase a new stylus, seeing that the 244 was so oddball...it was cheaper for me to buy a new 344E from the little camera shop I went into.
Ya gotta love Amsterdam :rockon: She has been with me and on every turntable ever since...except the RP1.

Good stuff Bill, sounds like latching onto an old friend be it your 344. Had another P1/carbon thread going, moving the weight to the stop resulted in 1.75 VTF but he carbon is rated for higher than than 2 g. Wonder why rega would spec a cart at that, supply it with the P1 and disallow the owner to load past 1.75?

Back
Top Bottom