Who's listening online? And with what?

Hmmm, maybe not, just via AirPlay 2 at first. Spence has been talking about integrating all voice services, though...

Hmmm, maybe not, just via AirPlay 2 at first. Spence has been talking about integrating all voice services, though...
I just wonder of Apple will ever allow it? It doesn’t seem like something they would allow with HomePod coming to market.

I just wonder of Apple will ever allow it? It doesn’t seem like something they would allow with HomePod coming to market.

Well, they allowed Apple Music on Sonos, so who knows?
I can see where Apple would want to spray their jizz music, API everywhere and be on as many platforms they can. But for why they hold such tight reigns on Siri is a puzzler. It's a very weird knife fight among all 3 and their VAs.

BTW, whatever happened with the WWDC announcement (was it last year) where Apple said they were going to open Siri up to third party devs? What apps have hence been let through the wall?

I can see where Apple would want to spray their jizz music, API everywhere and be on as many platforms they can. But for why they hold such tight reigns on Siri is a puzzler. It's a very weird knife fight among all 3 and their VAs.

BTW, whatever happened with the WWDC announcement (was it last year) where Apple said they were going to open Siri up to third party devs? What apps have hence been let through the wall?
As I mentioned in another thread, Apple makes a lot more money on hardware and locking Siri down on their hardware (probably) means they will sell more of it. For example, if I could get Siri and Apple Music on the Echo, there would be zero chance I would buy a HomePod. I might not buy a HomePod anyway, but I would put the chances closer to 50/50 depending on how Airplay 2 control is integrated.

I believe they have added some Siri features with Lyft/Uber, Skype, etc. It doesn't work with other music services, which I believe is by design. They didn't get thirty millions subscribers on AM two years out of the gate because they were allowing Spotify access to Siri.

If Sonos had Siri built in (especially the upcoming control of Airplay 2 "speakers" with Siri) alongside Alexa, I would buy one. That is why I asked the question of Chicks. I only read one article on the subject and only Airplay 2 was mentioned, not Siri.

I am listening to Full Moon Fever on Apple Music right now.

From the press release"

Apple AirPlay 2 Coming in 2018

Sonos also announced that it will begin supporting Apple’s AirPlay 2 in 2018, making it possible to play any sound from an iOS device – including YouTube videos and Netflix movies – on Sonos speakers throughout the house. Owners will also be able to ask any Siri-enabled device to control music on Sonos speakers.

So, Siri not built in, but able to control, one would assume, AM on Sonos from an iPhone via voice.

Anyhow, since an analog connection is no longer required into my main system, I can control it from the Echo at the other end of the room. So, was able to move the Dot into the home office to control the near field pair of Play:1s. Listening to a jazz Playlist from Amazon, under voice control. Nice. Soon, won't even have to ask Alexa to play xxx "in the office", will apparently soon be able to pair a Dot with speaker(s). So, just Alexa, play xxx.

Tonight, listening to AccuRadio's all-Ellington channel on the Play:1s. Honestly, AccuRadio is so good I'm beginning to wonder why I bother with any other radio-like streaming service, especially since AccuRadio is free.

s.

From the press release"

So, Siri not built in, but able to control, one would assume, AM on Sonos from an iPhone via voice.

Anyhow, since an analog connection is no longer required into my main system, I can control it from the Echo at the other end of the room. So, was able to move the Dot into the home office to control the near field pair of Play:1s. Listening to a jazz Playlist from Amazon, under voice control. Nice. Soon, won't even have to ask Alexa to play xxx "in the office", will apparently soon be able to pair a Dot with speaker(s). So, just Alexa, play xxx.
I have my Dots hooked mainly to speakers that are on all the time. In the office, I have the aux split so it feeds an always on Tivoli and the analog input on my Onkyo. It pretty much already works for my casual listening. What I would like to have is for Siri to control Airplay, which I believe is coming for Airplay 2. Now I have to wait and see how many of my Airplay devices get updated.

The Dot just got a Google competitor that costs $50. I don't think it has an analog out, but with its ability to control casting devices that have digital outputs, it may be better for most main systems than the Dot.

"Our Point of View" by the Blue Note All-Stars...Apple Music...Bluetooth (Belkin SongStream)...Sangean radio.

Last edited:
The Dot just got a Google competitor that costs $50. I don't think it has an analog out, but with its ability to control casting devices that have digital outputs, it may be better for most main systems than the Dot.

Yeah, one of those with a few CCAs and some powered speakers would be a pretty good way to go. Not sure if voice control works on sources other than Google Music and YooToob, will have to test with the little air freshener (which, oddly, I rarely use; Alexa is my Girl Friday).

Yeah, one of those with a few CCAs and some powered speakers would be a pretty good way to go. Not sure if voice control works on sources other than Google Music and YooToob, will have to test with the little air freshener (which, oddly, I rarely use; Alexa is my Girl Friday).
Yeah, I have several devices that work with Casting and a subscription to Google Play Music (via Youtube Red), so it would work for me, but I don’t think I would use it very often.

A bit earlier today, AccuRadio's von Karajan channel. I've noted this before, but the more I use AccuRadio, the less I see the need to pay money for subscription streaming radio-like (Pandora/Slacker/JazzRadio/ClassicalRadio) services. AccuRadio is not only free; it's better, deeper, with a lot more choices, intelligently programmed. In theory, they pay for it with commercials, though in several weeks of listening I've never heard one.

One example: if you like Broadway, musicals, you can get one channel on SiriusXM. On Pandora, five choices (plus, obviously, anything you create yourself). AccuRadio, a stunning 45 channels. You can listen by era, by composer, jazz versions, Tony award winners and much more. Classical and jazz, my preferred listening, the options are even greater.

I'm kinda shocked by how good AccuRadio is, and how little attention it gets. I never noticed it until I started reading the newsletter the founder puts out.

s.

A bit earlier today, AccuRadio's von Karajan channel. I've noted this before, but the more I use AccuRadio, the less I see the need to pay money for subscription streaming radio-like (Pandora/Slacker/JazzRadio/ClassicalRadio) services. AccuRadio is not only free; it's better, deeper, with a lot more choices, intelligently programmed. In theory, they pay for it with commercials, though in several weeks of listening I've never heard one.

One example: if you like Broadway, musicals, you can get one channel on SiriusXM. On Pandora, five choices (plus, obviously, anything you create yourself). AccuRadio, a stunning 45 channels. You can listen by era, by composer, jazz versions, Tony award winners and much more. Classical and jazz, my preferred listening, the options are even greater.

I'm kinda shocked by how good AccuRadio is, and how little attention it gets. I never noticed it until I started reading the newsletter the founder puts out.

s.
I was surprised I didn’t have a copy of this app. Thanks for the info, I downloaded the app.

I'm using the google Chromecast Audio into the back of a sweet little Harman Kardon HK 3370 (stereo) integrated amp. Using Google Play Music which does a good job playing "radio stations" based either on artist or a particular track.

And of course the final piece if the stream is my homemade speakers... Which are absolutely incomparable!!!

Based on this thread I downloaded, and am listening to, Accuradio. Bitrate must be low, but definitely another choice.

I did some digging. Accuradio is 128. Amazon is 256 (VBR) and easy to tell the difference. Surprising because Accuradio is run by a couple of accomplished former terrestrial radio guys.

Surprising because Accuradio is run by a couple of accomplished former terrestrial radio guys.
That's a financial decision. Bandwidth is a considerable expense; especially for independent Pureplay webcasters like Accuradio.

128k vs. 256k can bump the stream cost 35% or more. And from a practical standpoint, 128k is more than satisfactory for 95% of the audience.

Back
Top Bottom